Here's a thought

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I want wins. We can argue about whether the key is recruiting, coaching or scheme but in the end the only way to settle that argument is to consistently win. Once we are winning 6 or more games a season, with a few breakout seasons of 8 or more wins, we will have an idea what the magic formula is.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Totally. It's a pure coincidence that when describing these other mythical offenses they just so happen to use the exact language used for a decade to defend the option when here.
Straw man. We want an efficient offense and a defense that’s doesn’t have so many broken coverages. Oh, and some in game coaching that looks well thought out. Whatever you call that system is what we want. What we don’t want is status quo. But keep blaming the option if it makes you feel better.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Straw man. We want an efficient offense and a defense that’s doesn’t have so many broken coverages. Oh, and some in game coaching that looks well thought out. Whatever you call that system is what we want. What we don’t want is status quo. But keep blaming the option if it makes you feel better.

What you are describing isn't option vs. non-option then. We haven't had all that since CBR. We have had major deficiencies on one or two of the 3 units ever since his departure.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What is this based on other than CGC hate?

You say stuff like Armstrong is going to have a field day but he’s behind an OL that lost its top six linemen from last season, four transferred, and two graduated. OL returns 2 starts

Pitt is a double-digit loss after losing its 1st rd QB & top WR

L for teams that we have beaten that has gotten significantly worse or in the same boat as us?

Ole Miss lost just as much production as us and they’ll put up 50?
I am 100% with you on this. Thank you.

We have a few fonts who would find fault with Collins if he has a 7 win season.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Let's assume he does win 7 (for discussion). Would you still keep him? I don't think you can. Geoff has spent ALL of his goodwill and has lost the fanbase. I do not know what the season tix sales are, but based on the constant push and calls I get to renew, it can't be good. Will they be < 20,000?

Let me put this another way. In a very public way, Auburn boosters tried to get Bryan Harsin fired. As one summed it up (paraphrasing), "Before NIL, Bryan was the right guy. But the entire landscape has changed. We don't need a great coach. We need a good coach and a powerful NIL machine."

Has NIL completely torpedoed Geoff's strategy of recruiting well and offering an alternative path to the NFL? With the portal and the NIL money, that path is ... play anywhere for 1-2 years and then, transfer (if not sooner). All I see is more and more skewing of talent and resources. The gap is not going to close.

Personally, I would hate to be coaching in this environment.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I am 100% with you on this. Thank you.

Anyone should find fault with a 7 win season, that means we lost 5-6 times. There are not 5 unbeatable teams on our schedule. You can be happy about the improvement over the past 3 seasons and still see that we are not winning as much as we could.

Fans have found fault with the 7 win seasons of every other coach before him, Geoff isn't special here.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Anyone should find fault with a 7 win season, that means we lost 5-6 times. There are not 5 unbeatable teams on our schedule. You can be happy about the improvement over the past 3 seasons and still see that we are not winning as much as we could.

Fans have found fault with the 7 win seasons of every other coach before him, Geoff isn't special here.
Hey, Johnson won 7 games his last season and that was off the worst team any future coach had to inherit in the history of football. 😊

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t inherit that team. You know, kids actually graduate and leave
He didn't say CPJ inherited it, try rereading his post slower. Or are you implying that the team Geoff Collins inherited was wildly different than the 2018 team?

JacketFan137

Banned
He didn’t inherit that team. You know, kids actually graduate and leave
idk these are tough concepts for people here to grasp. such little understanding of college football it’s gotten ridiculous. have so many questions about if people have ever watched or engaged with any football aside from twitter candy facebook comments

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don’t want the option. I want bagmen and an admin willing to let the staff do what it takes to keep some of the studs from Atlanta here. No reason a Cam Newton type had to go 5 hours away to Gainesville then to Auburn. We should have given him $100,000 his junior year in high school to get him here. Same with all the DLine we watch go everywhere else but stay in the 404. That’s been the game the past 25 years on a wholesale level. Our fans need to wake up and it sounds like NIL has awoken some.
I agree this has how it has been for a long time.

GT has never been willing to play that game - and that doesn't go just for the admin, I believe the majority of the alum base would not support it.

On the one hand I am very happy to see it become more obvious because it will make the eventual break easier to deal with. I have no doubt when that break comes that GT will chose not to play in that pool and will instead play with other universities that want a different model. That is going to mean being relegated to a lower tier, which will cause GT to lose some fans, but it will be where it probably needs to be as GT simply does not have the fanbase to support being in the top tier where alot of players are being bought.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want the option. I want bagmen and an admin willing to let the staff do what it takes to keep some of the studs from Atlanta here. No reason a Cam Newton type had to go 5 hours away to Gainesville then to Auburn. We should have given him $100,000 his junior year in high school to get him here. Same with all the DLine we watch go everywhere else but stay in the 404. That’s been the game the past 25 years on a wholesale level. Our fans need to wake up and it sounds like NIL has awoken some.
Agreed. But the elitist GT mentality won't let us do that. The group complaining loudest for results and for us to compete on the field of play, also say no to the way the business of college football is done. Its like playing tennis with no arms at the US Open. Sure you can try, but prepare to loose.
I want us to win. I believe we can go 15-0 every year, up until the first lost then its 14-1 etc. Been that way since I was old enough to care about GT football. But I don't have the $$$ to be a booster a kid can come to for a grand whenever he needs it.
But for thoes that can, we need them to realize that's the way the game is played and step up. Kirby had the pedigree to tell uga that this is what they have to do to compete and win and uga said ok. I think its worked out ok for them. Would a Malzahn be allowed to do that? Would anyone we can get be allowed to do that?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's assume he does win 7 (for discussion). Would you still keep him? I don't think you can. Geoff has spent ALL of his goodwill and has lost the fanbase. I do not know what the season tix sales are, but based on the constant push and calls I get to renew, it can't be good. Will they be < 20,000?
If he wins 7 (assuming this is pre bowl season and not 6 wins regular season plus 1 win in the bowl game) I think we're probably stuck with him as that could very well mean winning the coastal and a trip to the ACCCG. 7 wins would most likely mean wins against WC, Duke, UVA, VT, UNC and then winning 2 out of Pitt, UCF, FSU, OM, Miami. I guess the least impressive path to 7 would be wins over UCF and FSU and not winning the coastal but that would still be a pretty decent season. Though he has lost a lot of goodwill. Who knows

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
NIL wii remove the chance for being an elite program in football and basketball only to programs/businesses that will pony up significant dollars. Then the other factors of facilities, coaches, fan support and winning tradition. We have ok facilities and a historical ..not currently relevant..winning tradition. We can't really compete for top coaches with the current state of the programs. So have to look for Group of 5 or strong assistant coach
Until we have the finances, more rabid and much larger fan base, it is hard to see how we get to the top level. So if we quit
scheduling tough out of conference, get some better revenue and more effective coaches, the goal is hopefully bowl games and making ncaa tournament in basketball. Not looking foe elite based on current reality but certainly be more respectable.