Here's a thought

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. But the elitist GT mentality won't let us do that. The group complaining loudest for results and for us to compete on the field of play, also say no to the way the business of college football is done. Its like playing tennis with no arms at the US Open. Sure you can try, but prepare to loose.

I don't think we have an elitist fan base. I think our fan base lacks the type of alumni who have both the resources AND the desire to spend our money on this type of activity. The typical fan who is Director of Engineering, partner at a law firm, has a PE degree and a small engineering firm, CEO of a publicy traded company or has a medical degree doesn't have needle moving amounts of money in today's environment. Being a millionaire isn't that big of a deal in today's world. As the real estate saying goes, the billionaires have pushed the millionaires out of the market.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it’s you who need to read slower.

I understood exactly what was said.
Well your post was not clear, which is why I offered two possible understandings. You did not mention anyone by name, only a "he", and the only "he" specifically mentioned by Northeast Stinger was Johnson, which leads to the first interpretation, that you think NS was saying Johnson inherited the team. The second interpretation I offered and asked you for clarification on (and I guess should assume is your original intent since you didn't answer the question) is based on talking about a "he" that is never explicitly mentioned which makes your statement unclear.

JacketFan137

Banned
NIL wii remove the chance for being an elite program in football and basketball only to programs/businesses that will pony up significant dollars. Then the other factors of facilities, coaches, fan support and winning tradition. We have ok facilities and a historical ..not currently relevant..winning tradition. We can't really compete for top coaches with the current state of the programs. So have to look for Group of 5 or strong assistant coach
Until we have the finances, more rabid and much larger fan base, it is hard to see how we get to the top level. So if we quit
scheduling tough out of conference, get some better revenue and more effective coaches, the goal is hopefully bowl games and making ncaa tournament in basketball. Not looking foe elite based on current reality but certainly be more respectable.
basketball i’m actually not sure about. i have a feeling most of the nil money is gonna come for 1 and done guys who we haven’t really drawn lately anyway. teams that get old and stay old will still be pretty competitive i bet which is something we could possibly do.

even though a lot of 1 and dones may be better nba prospects the physicality and experience of a guy who spent 3 years in college may be enough to edge them out.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't think we have an elitist fan base. I think our fan base lacks the type of alumni who have both the resources AND the desire to spend our money on this type of activity. The typical fan who is Director of Engineering, partner at a law firm, has a PE degree and a small engineering firm, CEO of a publicy traded company or has a medical degree doesn't have needle moving amounts of money in today's environment. Being a millionaire isn't that big of a deal in today's world. As the real estate saying goes, the billionaires have pushed the millionaires out of the market.
that is one thing i think is gonna be good about the nil fund. i think it’s kind of intimidating to be a donor because it kinda feels like you have to donate $1000 or more. i think the swarm the atl giving a way to support the program for $10 a month is a good start. it’s not enough to flip the script into being like bama or anything but i think it’s a good idea to start.

i do think a big aspect of our next coach has to be enticing boosters to spend a la kirby as has been alluded to in this thread. again, it won’t happen at that level, but something has to be done to keep us competitive. i know paul was dealing with that issue and asked for better facilities multiple times. i know one of the first things dabo did was sweet talk some big clemson boosters and that kinda jump started everything

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is the most accurate representation of our fan base.

GT is in the bottom quintile in terms of undergraduate population compared to the other P5 schools and ND. So right off the bat you are starting at a disadvantage in terms of numbers of potential alumni you have.

Then you have an academic profile that puts you in the top half of those schools and frankly has a large percentage of alums who don't really care about the athletics side that much.

Finally, you have a school that is not the 'state school', so you don't have a large non-alumni fanbase. How much of this money for NIL, etc do you think is coming from not alumni, but just fans of the football program at the factory schools?

All those factors put GT at a disadvantage in a game where it is about really rich fans who are willing to throw alot of that money at 18-21 yr olds and/or a very large fanbase with alot of fans willing to contribute a smaller amount to paying players. There is an economies of scale as well here when you consider every year most universities are putting out more alumni than GT. It's very possible for GT to have a higher percentage of millionaires, but have fewer millionaires in its fanbase as a whole due to the difference in # alumni and sidewalk fans.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If he wins 7 (assuming this is pre bowl season and not 6 wins regular season plus 1 win in the bowl game) I think we're probably stuck with him as that could very well mean winning the coastal and a trip to the ACCCG. 7 wins would most likely mean wins against WC, Duke, UVA, VT, UNC and then winning 2 out of Pitt, UCF, FSU, OM, Miami. I guess the least impressive path to 7 would be wins over UCF and FSU and not winning the coastal but that would still be a pretty decent season. Though he has lost a lot of goodwill. Who knows
Honestly, if we manage 7 regular season wins, we should be "stuck" with him. There is no way to get 7 wins without acknowledging that some pretty significant improvement has taken place. Even if we get to 6 and win the most lackluster bowl we can, that is a huge step.
I will caveat by saying that if we to 6 wins, it will make it difficult for a bunch of these teams to get bowl eligible, so there is going to be an argument that we didn't really beat anyone, but that cuts both ways... If they beat us for their 6th win, I'm not feeling the moral victory. ;)

I don't think anyone is happy with 6 or 7 wins as a goal, but 6 wins and some continuity going into next season feels better to me than starting over again. Of course, there is that matter of getting to 6 wins, so let's not put the cart before the horse...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think most of our fan base don't really know Sh*t about football but think they do . and yes I'm one of them.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Well your post was not clear, which is why I offered two possible understandings. You did not mention anyone by name, only a "he", and the only "he" specifically mentioned by Northeast Stinger was Johnson, which leads to the first interpretation, that you think NS was saying Johnson inherited the team. The second interpretation I offered and asked you for clarification on (and I guess should assume is your original intent since you didn't answer the question) is based on talking about a "he" that is never explicitly mentioned which makes your statement unclear.

Hey, Johnson won 7 games his last season and that was off the worst team any future coach had to inherit in the history of football. 😊

“He” that I’m speaking of is reference to the future coach, which is only 1 person.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, Collins will be asked to leave if real improvement is not obvious. Is that 6 wins or something more? We'll see. That said, it's my guess he will have done what was demanded if we win 6 or more games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's assume he does win 7 (for discussion). Would you still keep him? I don't think you can. Geoff has spent ALL of his goodwill and has lost the fanbase. I do not know what the season tix sales are, but based on the constant push and calls I get to renew, it can't be good. Will they be < 20,000?

Let me put this another way. In a very public way, Auburn boosters tried to get Bryan Harsin fired. As one summed it up (paraphrasing), "Before NIL, Bryan was the right guy. But the entire landscape has changed. We don't need a great coach. We need a good coach and a powerful NIL machine."

Has NIL completely torpedoed Geoff's strategy of recruiting well and offering an alternative path to the NFL? With the portal and the NIL money, that path is ... play anywhere for 1-2 years and then, transfer (if not sooner). All I see is more and more skewing of talent and resources. The gap is not going to close.

Personally, I would hate to be coaching in this environment.
I agree in the assumption that NIL is now the main recruiting tool by most schools. I believe that Collins was trying to differentiate his program from most others by his nonconformist methods aimed at today's youth. (So far not very successfully). Now it's all about the NIL money for recruits and playing for championships.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree in the assumption that NIL is now the main recruiting tool by most schools. I believe that Collins was trying to differentiate his program from most others by his nonconformist methods aimed at today's youth. (So far not very successfully). Now it's all about the NIL money for recruits and playing for championships.
And, here is where the problem for GT lies (along with all of our historical handicaps). Unless we can actually compete in this new game of NIL money, we will not only have difficulty ever getting any 4/5 star guys, but we will have trouble keeping those guys who show out that were not considered 4/5 star guys coming out of HS. I realize I am being Captain Obvious here, but I am not sure if our fanbase and regular alums fully understand what all of this means. I think any HC coming here now will be behind the 8 ball with their hands and legs tied up.

I hope I am overstating the concerns.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fact college football as most of us knew it and love it is not the same today. I really think the NIL will kill college football as we knew it. It's getting where more and more fans will stop watching college football.
Not the same as when? I love that NIL is exposing the hypocrisy. If college football dies then it dies, because it hasn’t been real for decades. All of you who are so upset with the changes were obviously fine with the Bama’s, Ohio States of the world buying players and winning while the GT’s of the world took the shaft year after year. If that system dies then I’m fine with it’s death. What I want is an out in the open association where the way to win is available to win. Now, if schools like GT choose not to take part and are willing to be sacrificial lambs for money every year then thats on them and their fanbase will shrink. Exactly what we are doing this decade.

JacketFan137

Banned
i think our core fanbase is probably way older than the average college fandom. a lot of these people move out of atlanta and are in the suburbs. we all know that getting to tech is kind of a pain when you live in gwinnett, marietta, forsyth, alpharetta roswell etc. i think that is a pretty significant blow to the attendance of an already small fanbase, and that really impacts the bottom line financials. our attendance was on the same downward trend even prior to collins and covid.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
And, here is where the problem for GT lies (along with all of our historical handicaps). Unless we can actually compete in this new game of NIL money, we will not only have difficulty ever getting any 4/5 star guys, but we will have trouble keeping those guys who show out that were not considered 4/5 star guys coming out of HS. I realize I am being Captain Obvious here, but I am not sure if our fanbase and regular alums fully understand what all of this means. I think any HC coming here now will be behind the 8 ball with their hands and legs tied up.

I hope I am overstating the concerns.
Correct. We will likely not be able to purchase many 4 and 5 stars. Anyone that quickly develops on our roster will either need to get paid, or he's going to get paid elsewhere.

The best recruiting tool for us moving forward is probably the transfer portal with guys that have 3-4 years of eligibility left.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We now have posters on the Swarm calling for TStan to fire our football coach, basketball coach, and baseball coach. All have multiple years remaining on their contracts. I wonder how many of these fonts are willing to contribute significant cash toward any one of those dismissals?

It looks like our female coaches are safe from these calls for now. At least until they lose a game to uga.