Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Having a great deal of knowledge in public health concerns isn't quite the same thing as being a medical expert. Gates has been leading an organization heavily involved in global health outbreaks and vaccinations for over 25 years. His organization has donated several billions of dollars to it, and he has worked personally with the WHO and many governments on fighting these types of things. For COVID-19 alone his organization has donated 1.75 billion dollars in response. You are still free to bypass his advice and listen to any other doctor or public health expert (which you won't do), but it's hard to argue that he doesn't have a bit more knowledge in this area than a random blowhard with a podcast.

Deleted member 2897

Having a great deal of knowledge in public health concerns isn't quite the same thing as being a medical expert. Gates has been leading an organization heavily involved in global health outbreaks and vaccinations for over 25 years. His organization has donated several billions of dollars to it, and he has worked personally with the WHO and many governments on fighting these types of things. For COVID-19 alone his organization has donated 1.75 billion dollars in response. You are still free to bypass his advice and listen to any other doctor or public health expert (which you won't do), but it's hard to argue that he doesn't have a bit more knowledge in this area than a random blowhard with a podcast.

I’d argue his accuracy with regards to pandemics and vaccines has been significantly better than the CDC.

Deleted member 2897

Guess what happened yesterday?
1) 29k new cases. We've only been that low twice since we were *shut down* last spring.
2) 325 deaths. In all of time going back to the beginning of the first covid wave, we've only been that low a handful of times - even during the first major shut down.
3) Going on a month now...pretty much right after the CDC Director said she had an impending sense of doom about covid, we've been decreasing new cases 10% week after week after week after week. I still don't know why she said that when our vaccines were on warp speed and the case trends looked good.
4) Speaking of which, we passed 250 million shots delivered.
5) Notice the excess deaths:

This is too aggressive, because it uses an average annual death number from a couple years ago instead of accounting for the aging of our society. Nevertheless, notice that we're UNDER expected deaths for the last 2 months now. Our average daily death smoothed across the last week is 700. You can see from the chart we're well within the tolerance for death certificate reporting when you go back a couple months.

Deleted member 2897

Our local teaching hospital (MUSC) said it estimates 65% of people in South Carolina have immunity due to either being vaccinated or having gotten Covid. That’s my view nationally as well, which is why in most areas of the country the numbers keep dropping. PROGRESS!

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Peak vaccination was April 1st (April Fools Day): 4,249,820 doses administered.

Downtrend ever since.

The latest report on May 2nd was 104K doses administered. That's the lowest since New Year's Day (a holiday and before the vaccine was fully ramped up).

/

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't really eligible until about april 1 but got mine around 3rd and 30th to knock em out asap. For me it's just the right thing to do for the vulnerable folks. Obviously everyone should feel free to make their own choices. I don't believe some of my co workers plan to get it based on their voluntary verbalizing.

Deleted member 2897

Peak vaccination was April 1st (April Fools Day): 4,249,820 doses administered.

Downtrend ever since.

The latest report on May 2nd was 104K doses administered. That's the lowest since New Year's Day (a holiday and before the vaccine was fully ramped up).

/

7-day average is still over 2 million. It will probably continue to decrease and that's okay. We can't vaccinate people under 16 still and there are a lot of people who don't want it. Something like 80% of seniors have now been vaccinated, which is outstanding.

Our local teaching hospital (MUSC) estimates 65% of our state is now immune to covid from vaccinations or having gotten covid. We're on the cusp of herd immunity. Deaths dropped almost 50% from Tuesday last week to Tuesday this week. We're ****ing rolling.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m seeing vaccine hesitancy from people I thought should know better. One colleague said he won’t get the vaccine because his wife is pregnant.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m seeing vaccine hesitancy from people I thought should know better. One colleague said he won’t get the vaccine because his wife is pregnant.
thats just dumb. i understand the wife not getting it, but the husband? thats a dumb reason

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of us are concerned about possible long term effects of the vaccine and/or have already had Covid and recovered. I wouldn't belittle others for making a different decision than you.
What long term effects are you concerned about and how long should we wait before taking the vaccine to know if your concerns are valid?

What long term effects are you concerned about and how long should we wait before taking the vaccine to know if your concerns are valid?

No idea. We don't know anything about the possible long term effects of the vaccine and very little about the possible long term effects of the Covid virus itself. Only time will tell. However, we do know that the vaccines have not gone through a full approval process yet and that they were developed unlike previous vaccines.

Deleted member 2897

And here we go in circles again. We ended the control group, so we’ll never know if there are any long term side effects. To me, I’m not worried about dying from Covid, but the long term side effects some people get worry me a lot…so I got the vaccine. But, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t care who else got it or not - I could wear a mask, keep my distance, and still be safe forever. Or not and roll the dice, but that would be my decision. Nobody else should be worried of others and their decisions. If you are, then get the vaccine. If you’re still scared of other people, then also wear a mask and keep your distance. It’s an easy calculus for everyone - you can be as safe as you want and you are in full control of that. Nobody needs to know other people’s business.

Status
Not open for further replies.