Here is our problem on the Swarm

slugboy

Staff member
i do not recall chan ever winning more than 7 games.

He went 9-5 the year before he got fired, and won 7 games in the year he was fired:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/index.html

Code:
Rk   Year Conf W L T  Pct  SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post                          Coach(es)                  Bowl Notes
13   2007  ACC 7 6 0 .538 3.94       1.24              15 Chan Gailey (7-5) Jon Tenuta (0-1)         Humanitarian Bowl-L
14   2006  ACC 9 5 0 .643 6.50       1.64              13                  Chan Gailey (9-5)                Gator Bowl-L
15   2005  ACC 7 5 0 .583 7.31       6.48              15                  Chan Gailey (7-5)              Emerald Bowl-L
16   2004  ACC 7 5 0 .583 6.41                       4.25                  Chan Gailey (7-5)        Champs Sports Bowl-W
17   2003  ACC 7 6 0 .538 5.60                       5.68                  Chan Gailey (7-6)         Humanitarian Bowl-W
18   2002  ACC 7 6 0 .538 4.56                       3.86                  Chan Gailey (7-6)       Silicon Valley Bowl-L

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 11/12/2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If you could guarantee me over the next 10 years what we got the last 10, I would take it in a heartbeat.

7.5 win average -- BUT, with 4 seasons with 9+ wins, 2 seasons with 11 wins, and only 2 seasons missing a bowl.
4.7 win average ACC -- BUT with 3 ACC Title Game Appearances, 1 ACC Title, and finished 1st or 2nd in Coastal 7 of 11 years.
2 Orange Bowl Appearances (1 win)
3-6 in bowl games (I would want this to be .500)
3 Wins Over UGA (I would want 4, including at least 1 or 2 at home)

I am happy to take a couple losing seasons for the great ones we also had. I don't think it is realistic for us to expect 10+ wins ever year. #brainwasrightbutshouldnthavesaidit
Thanks. So would I. I hope we get it; I remain skeptical that we will.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I'm one of the younger tech fans here only a senior in high school and been watching tech heavily since 2013 and been mostly around CPJ and was a fan and glad we were winning but it was boring and only times i got exited was when we had a big pitch play or dive that would go the distance but last 2 years i didn't like the loosing and it was going worse so i did want him gone but i didn't know who i wanted but hearing CGC has restored my faith and not had me as pissed as CPJ made me with some questionable calls but i'm still for CGC and will be until he proves me otherwise and with all the injuries and players learning the schemes and formations i'm more optimistic for the future but i can't deny i do miss going for it on 4th and 1
Punctuation helps.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
YEEEESSS !! I say this on EVERY POST I make !! We will be much improved next year on our OL and we will see what Graham, Mason , TO and our WRs can really do.
Agree, but I'm betting Yates will be our starter next year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMO, the biggest things wrong with the Swarm is the same one we face in society as the #1 issue. Too many people confuse their opinions with facts and react emotionally rather than logically to differences of opinions. #2, people seem to take this stuff and discussion of same rather seriously instead of as a game played by teenagers for the most part for their and our amusement. Nothing more or less.

As a distant third, it's the whole uniform thing. If we could just settle on one everybody likes, 61.43% of the vehement disagreements here would dissipate immediately.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Is there a problem?

I’m a regular visitor to other SEC boards and the Swarm is tame by comparison. For the most part, folks are opinionated, but not personally destructive.

Other boards I lurk more than post. The flaming is just unbelievable. And uncalled for.

Personally, I think this board is well run and relaxed.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Winning 8 games a year would place Tech as number 17 on the all-time win rate. That’s not loser ... that’s one of the best programs in the history of D1.
#1 you can't change the past, so no winning 8 games does not make us #17 all time.

#2 depending on where you look, we are 19th or 26th all time in wins currently, so moving up to 17th is an insignificant change. Virginia Tech has more all time wins than we do - do you want to trade our record for their record of 0 national championships, less bowl appearances, worse bowl record, fewer all americans and fewer nfl draft picks?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
#1 you can't change the past, so no winning 8 games does not make us #17 all time.

#2 depending on where you look, we are 19th or 26th all time in wins currently, so moving up to 17th is an insignificant change. Virginia Tech has more all time wins than we do - do you want to trade our record for their record of 0 national championships, less bowl appearances, worse bowl record, fewer all americans and fewer nfl draft picks?

Not my point. People seem to think that winning only 8 games is a “loser mentality”. Tell that to the D1 teams that don’t.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
so your saying the acc coastal is tougher the either sec division? if you say so. we are talking fb not academics which is what my comment was based on.
Recruiting wise---no way it's harder, and winning for UF---no way it's harder for them in the SECe (Miss St.-yes). I read your post as harder in recruiting and doing well.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree, but I'm betting Yates will be our starter next year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
I doubt it. Graham is a 4* with offers from Bama and ugag and bigger/faster/more elusive. Passing wise....we'll see. Biggest issue=grades.

Animal02

Banned
Is there a problem?

I’m a regular visitor to other SEC boards and the Swarm is tame by comparison. For the most part, folks are opinionated, but not personally destructive.

Other boards I lurk more than post. The flaming is just unbelievable. And uncalled for.

Personally, I think this board is well run and relaxed.
Though it has taken a turn for the worse in the past 9 months. ;)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Those people are idiots. Very few programs have averaged that over any decent stretch of time.

Thank you. That’s my point exactly.

I think you have to look at the results relative to what produced them. The AA has a budget of $70M, but barely breaks even and has to service 200M in debt. Add on a small fan base and the toughest academics in D1 ... and 8 wins is phenomenal.

Add to that your comment .. a 0.67 win rate ... very few programs can do that.

Animal02

Banned
IMO, the biggest things wrong with the Swarm is the same one we face in society as the #1 issue. Too many people confuse their opinions with facts and react emotionally rather than logically to differences of opinions. #2, people seem to take this stuff and discussion of same rather seriously instead of as a game played by teenagers for the most part for their and our amusement. Nothing more or less.

As a distant third, it's the whole uniform thing. If we could just settle on one everybody likes, 61.43% of the vehement disagreements here would dissipate immediately.
Uniform? I would settle for "the correct color of gold" That would solve 50% :p