Here is our problem on the Swarm

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I take joy in watching Tennessee steadily improve under Pruitt. Many of the naysayers have gone dark and it’s clear his players and his system are making progress. I hope the same happens to Tech.

I am reminded of Kim King’s comments. He said the likelihood of Tech ever competing for a Natty was about zero. But, he thought we could be a Top 30 team, which these days is about 8-4. If CGC can deliver 7-8 wins consistently... while increasing the stature of the program to relevancy, I’ll be very happy.

Man, the 70’s & 80’s were tough on you old timers. Many have still not gotten over it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Ceding to Clem and especially ugag is unacceptable to me. Beating them at a minimum of 3 times a decade while not selling our academic soul to the devil is the least to expect. If we are going to recruit Elite players like Collins and Key have said, then this should be more than realistic.
Otherwise, why bother?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ceding to Clem and especially ugag is unacceptable to me. Beating them at a minimum of 3 times a decade while not selling our academic soul to the devil is the least to expect. If we are going to recruit Elite players like Collins and Key have said, then this should be more than realistic.
Otherwise, why bother?

I hear you, but getting enough of the "elite" players in today's hyped up college playoff world would be a MIRACLE, to say the least. I believe Collins and Key have "oversold" their ability to get enough of the 4 star players here (not to mention we probably will never see a 5 star) to make the difference up with that alone. But, I do agree that having the chance to beat them 3 times a decade would be nice, and I hope it comes to fruition. But, the talent gaps are widening between the haves and have-nots, and the only way to get past that is with SUPERIOR coaching (or they have terrible coaching).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Otherwise, why bother?

We aren’t going get 5 star players.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It started a few years ago , 50% were ok with things ( Head coach) 25% thought CPJ was the best we could do, and the other 25% want him gone. The ones who wanted CPJ explain why , he did things right , we had some good seasons with him, he could beat uga , and he did what the school wanted by graduating players, and I love to watch our death marches.

The other 25% percent that wanted him gone had their reasons , he could not recruit , no player wanted to play in our offense. He would not take the blame if we lost a game, we have no passing game , and we are boring to watch.

It started getting bad in 2015 after a bad season then we calmed down in 2016 cause we finished 9-4 but it started back in 2017 not to end.

Most of the people were civil be a few were not ( we know which ones) they would say things that pissed off those who love CPJ to the highest point of pisstivity .

By 2018 some of us could see something was not right with CPJ just didn't seem to be the same.

Now we hired a new coach and a few think he will lead us to the promise land and a few think he talks to much like a salesman and needs to show he can coach. But we all hope this will work out for the best for Tech time will tell. The few who wanted CPJ to stay want is see us improve but not take over 3 or 4 years ( Which I guess I'm one) . A few ss no reason not to wait for 5 years cause it will take time.

Now here is the problem the few that would talk bad about CPJ keep it up till they pissed off a few that wanted him to go. The funny part now the ones who wanted CPJ to stay are pissing off the ones who wanted CPJ to go . The rest of us just want it to stop and talk about football , uniforms and school colors and see if we can make supersizethatorder-mutt mad cause they like blue.

This message has been brought to you from Bud Light and drink up. We all want to see Tech do good . ( Now I have pissed some of you off but I fine with that )

I still think the actual problem is irrational vs rational. I'm not saying that emotional or irrational contributor is always wrong. The irrational can have the correct opinion while the rational can have the incorrect opinion.

The problem with irrational contributors, imo, is that you can't have honest disagreement and fruitful conversation. I recently saw someone respond to a post with simply, "You obviously didn't watch the game," or wtte. How is a person expected to have a rational response to this.

When the irrational contributors reach a certain level, the threads cannot help but become shouting matches where posts are liked because they support the right "side" rather than because it was actually a thoughtful contribution.

And let's look at something else, Clemson and UGA re really good right now because they have NFL caliber QBs. Yes, they have other talent but we have been able to beat them with that talent. Kelly was not lighting up Clemson and Eason was a wonderful liability. But this said, we still need to find a scheme to level the playing field.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I was frustrated with the direction of Tech football and with Coach Gailey not being able to turn the corner (e.g., win critical, season-defining games and beat UGA at least once). The problem I had with Coach Gailey wasn't so much the on-the-field performance, (Although I think we should have beaten WF) but a lack of zest for his job. He seemed a poor fit for Tech. My initial gut reaction when he appeared at his first press conference as coach was that Tech made the wrong hiring decision and that fans would be stuck with him for five or six more years until people finally realized it. It never seemed like Coach Gailey ever truly wanted to be at Tech; it almost seemed like he was just collecting a pay check at times. Never really sold the public on the Tech program.

My thoughts on Coach Paul Johnson are different... He won more games (58 or 59 if you count the ACC title game) in his first seven years than any other coach in the storied history of the Institute. In 2014 with his recruits that team ranked 8th nationally by the Associated Press, the school’s highest ranking in 24 years. I didn't particularly want him gone. However like Gailey, his teams have a knack for losing critical, season-defining games. Like Gailey, his teams sometimes find ways to win that occasional, unlikely game they shouldn't have won.(08,14,16 in Athens come to mind) But Coach Johnson around 2015 after losing both Jeff Monken and Brian Bohanan to head coaching jobs something happened.. 2015, 2017, 2018 years something happened. So it was time for a change.

Coach Geoff Collins has shown lots of love and zest for Georgia Tech football.... But the main conclusion from this season is that the coaching staff, and especially Coach Collins, are not yet up to this job. He/they may grow into it, but not getting a team ready to play a scheme we ran for 11 years is inexcusable. Having a bad week of practice when you haven’t played 5 minutes of good football yet is inexcusable. This is what worried me from day one about Coach Collins and all the social media hype. He’s had two seasons as a HC and let’s be honest, there isn’t much track record there (it’s Temple!) so the hyperbole always felt forced and compensating for a lack of substance. Now he has to turn it down, get to basics and try to build credibility. I’m not optimistic. The sales pitch was the hype would lead to better talent, but who’s hyped to come hear now?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I was frustrated with the direction of Tech football and with Coach Gailey not being able to turn the corner (e.g., win critical, season-defining games and beat UGA at least once). The problem I had with Coach Gailey wasn't so much the on-the-field performance, (Although I think we should have beaten WF) but a lack of zest for his job. He seemed a poor fit for Tech. My initial gut reaction when he appeared at his first press conference as coach was that Tech made the wrong hiring decision and that fans would be stuck with him for five or six more years until people finally realized it. It never seemed like Coach Gailey ever truly wanted to be at Tech; it almost seemed like he was just collecting a pay check at times. Never really sold the public on the Tech program.

My thoughts on Coach Paul Johnson are different... He won more games (58 or 59 if you count the ACC title game) in his first seven years than any other coach in the storied history of the Institute. In 2014 with his recruits that team ranked 8th nationally by the Associated Press, the school’s highest ranking in 24 years. I didn't particularly want him gone. However like Gailey, his teams have a knack for losing critical, season-defining games. Like Gailey, his teams sometimes find ways to win that occasional, unlikely game they shouldn't have won.(08,14,16 in Athens come to mind) But Coach Johnson around 2015 after losing both Jeff Monken and Brian Bohanan to head coaching jobs something happened.. 2015, 2017, 2018 years something happened. So it was time for a change.

Coach Geoff Collins has shown lots of love and zest for Georgia Tech football.... But the main conclusion from this season is that the coaching staff, and especially Coach Collins, are not yet up to this job. He/they may grow into it, but not getting a team ready to play a scheme we ran for 11 years is inexcusable. Having a bad week of practice when you haven’t played 5 minutes of good football yet is inexcusable. This is what worried me from day one about Coach Collins and all the social media hype. He’s had two seasons as a HC and let’s be honest, there isn’t much track record there (it’s Temple!) so the hyperbole always felt forced and compensating for a lack of substance. Now he has to turn it down, get to basics and try to build credibility. I’m not optimistic. The sales pitch was the hype would lead to better talent, but who’s hyped to come hear now?

I hear you and understand your concerns. Take away the Citadel game and the man is doing about all he can with the talent on the field. If he’s not doing better by year 3 I’ll be carrying the torches with you.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Going forward? Most likely 0.25 or maybe 1 every 4 years.

We have never even gotten one 5 star (consensus at the time of recruitment) guy at the time of his initial recruitment. Why would we believe that now we could get one every 4 years?

But, even if your optimistic prediction is correct, that along with 4-6 four stars per year won't overcome what UGAG, Bammer, Clem's Son, etc. are doing, assuming they have good to great coaching.

Shoot, Joe Brady at LSU is not even an OC, but they are about to lock him up with 1.5 million per year. And, from what I have seen this year, he is worth it. We don't have that kind of $$ to throw at an assistant coach.