Here is our problem on the Swarm

Animal02

Banned
Thank you. That’s my point exactly.

I think you have to look at the results relative to what produced them. The AA has a budget of $70M, but barely breaks even and has to service 200M in debt. Add on a small fan base and the toughest academics in D1 ... and 8 wins is phenomenal.

Add to that your comment .. a 0.67 win rate ... very few programs can do that.
Same with being a consistent top 25 team.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Same with being a consistent top 25 team.

Yes! Eight wins a year is a Top 25 team.

My operations professor once said, you cannot improve an unstable system. First, get it stable ... then improve.

I would love to see us “stable” at 8 wins a year. That’s a great foundation but it requires ten year thinking ... and the AA has never demonstrated that.

Animal02

Banned

My operations professor once said, you cannot improve an unstable system. First, get it stable ... then improve.

I would love to see us “stable” at 8 wins a year. That’s a great foundation but it requires ten year thinking ... and the AA has never demonstrated that.
There are only a few schools capable of that......those that are willing to try and buy a NC. Unfortunately......3 of them are in Tech's backyard.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we do, it will be a lightning in a bottle type thing.......or as CPJ has suggested, if things realign due to the paying of players, be could as a second level division.

I love college football but … it bears almost no resemblance to the experience I had as a kid (back in the 60's). It seems inevitable that there will be 10-20 schools that will ultimately form a super conference and yes, pay players. This may actually work out in Tech's favor, but … I'm not a fan. If I wanted to watch pro ball, I'd tune in on Sunday. But it does look like that's where it's headed ...

Animal02

Banned
I love college football but … it bears almost no resemblance to the experience I had as a kid (back in the 60's). It seems inevitable that there will be 10-20 schools that will ultimately form a super conference and yes, pay players. This may actually work out in Tech's favor, but … I'm not a fan. If I wanted to watch pro ball, I'd tune in on Sunday. But it does look like that's where it's headed ...
My feelings as well. I do wonder how a "semi pro league will work out in the long run......will it attract much interest outside of those 20is schools that participate?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have said for years that there should be, for high school players that have NO desire for a college education, a minor league PRO system. I know many people, including NFL owners, don't want to hear that, but that is where we are right now. For those not wanting to play in this minor league PRO system, the payoff for going to school and playing football at the same time, will be a 100% free college education (including a small stipend for intangibles, but this has to be exactly the same for all schools). I am even o.k. with making it possible for kids who get to within 1 year of graduation after playing their eligibility out, the school would still have to pay for them to finish up to one full year. We all know how hard it is to play a sport like football and graduate on time with decent grades, especially if your major is difficult. That should be the "pay" for STUDENT athletes, in my opinion. For those that want to make a living playing football immediately after high school, no one, including the NFL or NCAA, should be able to stop them, but they can do it in a PRO minor league system.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My feelings as well. I do wonder how a "semi pro league will work out in the long run......will it attract much interest outside of those 20is schools that participate?

Let's assume each of the 32 NFL teams was able to "sponsor" one university team … and that these 32 teams competed in a special league that paid players and … organized upgraded facilities, camps, etc.

Would I be interested? No. It would be Frankenstein … and about as desirable.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I think we will win another National Championship again. We had the team in 2014 and Ill take that opinion to my grave. As for the new regime, I think they're headed that direction.
They have to sell the idea to kids that not only is it COOL to play for a team like GT with all the obstacles that make GT an ELITE Academic Institution, but that they have the opportunity to carry on the legacy of ALL the legends who came before them.

If those suggestions fail, lets prop Bobby Dodd up in the corner and put a whistle around his neck. That should get some attention lol

I have said for years that there should be, for high school players that have NO desire for a college education, a minor league PRO system. I know many people, including NFL owners, don't want to hear that, but that is where we are right now. For those not wanting to play in this minor league PRO system, the payoff for going to school and playing football at the same time, will be a 100% free college education (including a small stipend for intangibles, but this has to be exactly the same for all schools). I am even o.k. with making it possible for kids who get to within 1 year of graduation after playing their eligibility out, the school would still have to pay for them to finish up to one full year. We all know how hard it is to play a sport like football and graduate on time with decent grades, especially if your major is difficult. That should be the "pay" for STUDENT athletes, in my opinion. For those that want to make a living playing football immediately after high school, no one, including the NFL or NCAA, should be able to stop them, but they can do it in a PRO minor league system.

I think that paying these players will backfire. When the players figure out that they have to hire an accountant to do taxes, when the government decides that the scholarship is payment in kind and can be taxed, when lineman stop blocking for a QB because he is making all that money.......

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
For a select few perhaps, but that's far from likely. The last time Tech finished with 8 wins and was ranked at the end of it all was 2001. In 2016, 2011, and 2006 we finished with 8 or 9 wins, yet we were not ranked in the AP or CFP (2016 only) rankings.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Tech will ever win a Natty again, but ACC championship? That’s possible.

Tend to agree with you, but if you can win the ACC, you have a pretty good shot at getting in the playoffs and then anything is possible.

Sidewalking

Banned
Two problems with the swarm. Anyone who attempts to tell others to "shut up" "get on board" "complaining because they like one coach over another instead of being a fan of the school or program. Primarily though attempts by members to silence the opinions of others through personal attacks. That is unnecessary and childish. There is an ignore feature here anyone can use if they need a safe space from opposing viewpoints. Second problem in my own opinion is a moderator bias toward those who are strident supporters of the current coach. Those individuals have to go far outside of bounds on the first problem before action is taken by moderators while it appears there is a broader approach to deleting / removing posts from those who do not support or particularly care for the current staff or make criticisms of same.

Bottom line. There is an ignore feature that members should use if they don't like the content of particular members on any point. The moderators should encourage use of that feature rather than sanction or silence debate. Opinion from a sidewalk fan that doesn't honestly spend a ton of time here. But enough to see some odd behavior. Probably typical among most fan bases. And typical of society today with movements toward silencing opposing speech.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Second problem in my own opinion is a moderator bias toward those who are strident supporters of the current coach.

Just goes to show we don't what we don't know. That's for myself as well btw. I have exactly the opposite view you do as I have had posts removed and I come from a different slant than the one you describe. The mods have a tough job and I would imagine this year has been one of their most difficult.

Animal02

Banned
Two problems with the swarm. Anyone who attempts to tell others to "shut up" "get on board" "complaining because they like one coach over another instead of being a fan of the school or program. Primarily though attempts by members to silence the opinions of others through personal attacks. That is unnecessary and childish. There is an ignore feature here anyone can use if they need a safe space from opposing viewpoints. Second problem in my own opinion is a moderator bias toward those who are strident supporters of the current coach. Those individuals have to go far outside of bounds on the first problem before action is taken by moderators while it appears there is a broader approach to deleting / removing posts from those who do not support or particularly care for the current staff or make criticisms of same.

Bottom line. There is an ignore feature that members should use if they don't like the content of particular members on any point. The moderators should encourage use of that feature rather than sanction or silence debate. Opinion from a sidewalk fan that doesn't honestly spend a ton of time here. But enough to see some odd behavior. Probably typical among most fan bases. And typical of society today with movements toward silencing opposing speech.
I would and that the "shut up an get on board" crowd is a rather new phenomenon that cropped up about 9 months ago with a whole lot of new posters.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I would and that the "shut up an get on board" crowd is a rather new phenomenon that cropped up about 9 months ago with a whole lot of new posters.
I wish all the people asking for a unified fanbase would have been as vocal for the past 11 years. Funny how vocal they become now that the coach they wanted gone retired. I think a lot of the negative criticisms towards CGC right now are a bit unwarranted just like I thought the majority of criticisms (that still get slung around) are unwarranted. Our fanbase just loves to *****.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I wish I loved our fans as much as I love our Team.

But so many of our fans are just plain idiots who just want everyone to know how right they are/were.

Here's a suggestion for all you morons who are more interested in being right than in GT being successful: Drop Dead. No one will miss you.