Here is our problem on the Swarm

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL...I like your enthusiasm. But you point out how the game of football has changed. A boring offense, it wins and keeps the defense off the field but it is boring....lol. You would never survived the 70's 80's and much of the 90's. The wishbone, Veer....you need to watch remember the Titans.......
Lol your probably right but i still didn't hate CPJ it just wasn't big play all the time but it does win if ran correctly

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Shoot, Joe Brady at LSU is not even an OC, but they are about to lock him up with 1.5 million per year. And, from what I have seen this year, he is worth it. We don't have that kind of $$ to throw at an assistant coach.

LSU's problem has never been lack of talent. It's almost always been a lack of credible talent at QB.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I enjoy the Swarm because both sides of almost every argument imaginable is dissected. Especially the posters that do homework and add statistics and data to the mix.

It is also interesting to see which rabbit hole the discussion veers off into.

Although, I doubt many minds are changed. Especially supersized...

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
LSU's problem has never been lack of talent. It's almost always been a lack of credible talent at QB.

I would argue for a college team, talent at quarterback is the most important factor in any offense. I was at the Florida Vandy game this past weekend. My opinion was that the Florida quarterback was competent, but with an "elite" quarterback they would be a playoff contender.

Look back on Tech's great quarterbacks, Jones and Hamilton. They made their teams "elite".

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If you could guarantee me over the next 10 years what we got the last 10, I would take it in a heartbeat.

7.5 win average -- BUT, with 4 seasons with 9+ wins, 2 seasons with 11 wins, and only 2 seasons missing a bowl.
4.7 win average ACC -- BUT with 3 ACC Title Game Appearances, 1 ACC Title, and finished 1st or 2nd in Coastal 7 of 11 years.
2 Orange Bowl Appearances (1 win)
3-6 in bowl games (I would want this to be .500)
3 Wins Over UGA (I would want 4, including at least 1 or 2 at home)

I am happy to take a couple losing seasons for the great ones we also had. I don't think it is realistic for us to expect 10+ wins ever year. #brainwasrightbutshouldnthavesaidit

I think CPJ really cared about his kids, did a great job with APR. I think he knows his O as well as any HC in America knows theirs.

I think he totally missed the boat on D emphasis despite changing DC so often. Which was an indicator in and of itself.

I think his philosophy of recruiting was not the best way to go.

But to your point of “3 wins over UGA ...”, I wonder how many realize his win % vs ugag is lower than that of Carson, Pepper, Curry, Ross and GO’L (to include the 3 games he stepped in as HC in 94)?

All spitting in the wind. CPJ retired for his own reasons.

CGC is the HC. Support him or don’t.

Free to choose.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong, but it sure seems that elite HCs these days are more CEOs, recruiting closers, PR spokesmen and program visionaries than “coaches” as historically viewed. Get great OCs and DCs and you can make apple pie out of bruises apples...

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I think overall, with me. I am all about "show me". Don't talk a good game, play a good game. CPJ made up for a talent gap, by fielding a very unique offense. To be honest, if the defense was better, CPJ would have a lot more wins. Now CPJ is gone, we are left with a complete team of players that aren't meant for the scheme that the new coach wants to run. I like ball controlling offenses and defenses that hit hard and don't apologize for knocking someone on their azz. We are neither one of those, right now. CGC talks a good game, but hasn't played one. I really don't count Duh U.. Because it was about the worst that they played all year. We had many chances against Pitt and couldn't cash in. I am not one to beat my chest because we made one play or won one game, yet many do. CGC seems to beat his chest and has really done nothing to give him that right, in my book. He needs to show me that his talking can start walking.

and i thought he recruited really well under chan gailey. he recruited/ coached well at miss st/fla which are much harder places to do well than gt. he worked under chan. worked under oleary. worked under saben. brought two high thought of coaches from bama as center pieces to our program.

he is trying to continue the academics progress that we were all so proud of cpj about.

i loved cpj but i think it was time for him to fade into the sunset. the manner in which he left gt was about as good as it could have been. its unfortunate but imo the previous ad's not only did not support cpj but imo they contributed to the perception many had of him. unfortunately.

none of that is cgc's fault. i just dont understand the hatred a few of you have. in 3 years time i could have the same hate for him that some of you have now but im not there yet. im for giving him a chance to work magic and i will support him and the players as much as i possibly can. until he gives me a reason to profoundly dislike him. 8 games into his first season is NOT enough time to evaluate anything at this point.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I would argue for a college team, talent at quarterback is the most important factor in any offense. I was at the Florida Vandy game this past weekend. My opinion was that the Florida quarterback was competent, but with an "elite" quarterback they would be a playoff contender.

Look back on Tech's great quarterbacks, Jones and Hamilton. They made their teams "elite".
It's OLine. Look at Fromm at UGA - when USCe dominated the LOS and forced Fromm the throw, he looked pedestrian. When he has 3-4 seconds in a well formed pocket he looks like a 1st rounder.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ask Collins and Key!?

I don’t need to. It’s zero. But to throw a bone to the doubters, let’s say 1 every 4 years.

At 300,000 HS seniors playing football per year, here’s the breakdown:
  • 30 five-stars, or 0.01 percent of the class
  • 380 four-stars, or 0.13 percent of the class
  • 1,328 three-stars, or 0.44 percent of the class
  • 1,859 two-stars, or 0.62 percent of the class
  • 296,403 unrated, or 98.88 percent of the class
The odds of Tech landing a 5 star compared to LSU, Alabama, Clemson, UGA and OSU is ... zero.

If you are building a program insisting that you are going to recruit 20-25 5 stars, you should be locked in a mental institution.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ’s tenure was the history of GT football since the mid-1950’s. Great seasons, awful seasons, and seasons in between. While I have no evidence, I believe Bobinski is the main reason why the football program has struggled the past several years.

I think Gailey would have coached here longer if he had beaten uga a couple times. Good defense, socially acceptable offensive scheme, and some wins over uga checks all the boxes.

While I no evidence, I believe that the triple option in and of itself was the sole reason why many people disliked CPJ. It just wasn’t a socially acceptable offensive scheme for some people. Had he done the same, but with a conventional offense, I believe he would better liked.

I expect that Collins will be fine. I think he has a higher win ceiling than Gailey. Whether he can top CPJ remains to be seen, but he seems to me to be on the right track.

As for the players, most, perhaps all, of the players on the team didn’t play in triple option offenses in high school and all of them were recruited by other schools that don’t run the triple option. They weren’t recruited for a different offense yes, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be effective in the current one. I suspect that the idea that coming from a triple option offense was monumental warped the thinking of the coaching staff when it should not have. All these players needed was time and reps to learn to learn new movement patterns and the terminology used by the coaching staff.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
and i thought he recruited really well under chan gailey. he recruited/ coached well at miss st/fla which are much harder places to do well than gt. he worked under chan. worked under oleary. worked under saben. brought two high thought of coaches from bama as center pieces to our program.

he is trying to continue the academics progress that we were all so proud of cpj about.

i loved cpj but i think it was time for him to fade into the sunset. the manner in which he left gt was about as good as it could have been. its unfortunate but imo the previous ad's not only did not support cpj but imo they contributed to the perception many had of him. unfortunately.

none of that is cgc's fault. i just dont understand the hatred a few of you have. in 3 years time i could have the same hate for him that some of you have now but im not there yet. im for giving him a chance to work magic and i will support him and the players as much as i possibly can. until he gives me a reason to profoundly dislike him. 8 games into his first season is NOT enough time to evaluate anything at this point.
miss st/fla much harder to do well !? Agree though that 8 games is not enuf. 30+ will be mid 2021 season.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
It's OLine. Look at Fromm at UGA - when USCe dominated the LOS and forced Fromm the throw, he looked pedestrian. When he has 3-4 seconds in a well formed pocket he looks like a 1st rounder.
YEEEESSS !! I say this on EVERY POST I make !! We will be much improved next year on our OL and we will see what Graham, Mason , TO and our WRs can really do.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
8 wins is bowl eligibility. May even be Conference champion.

Undefeated? Unrealistic.
6 wins, and sometimes 5, is bowl eligibility.

Undefeated is not unrealistic, we have done it numerous times in our program's history. We were 11 points from being undefeated in 2014. I'm not suggesting we should be undefeated every season, or even once every twenty seasons, but if that is not the goal then it is a waste of time to play the game.

Can you imagine our coach telling recruits his goal is for a consistent 7-8 wins every season? Nobody would want to sign with us because that's a pathetic loser mentality.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If you could guarantee me over the next 10 years what we got the last 10, I would take it in a heartbeat.

7.5 win average -- BUT, with 4 seasons with 9+ wins, 2 seasons with 11 wins, and only 2 seasons missing a bowl.
4.7 win average ACC -- BUT with 3 ACC Title Game Appearances, 1 ACC Title, and finished 1st or 2nd in Coastal 7 of 11 years.
2 Orange Bowl Appearances (1 win)
3-6 in bowl games (I would want this to be .500)
3 Wins Over UGA (I would want 4, including at least 1 or 2 at home)

I am happy to take a couple losing seasons for the great ones we also had. I don't think it is realistic for us to expect 10+ wins ever year. #brainwasrightbutshouldnthavesaidit
I agree with everything you said except your hashtag at the end, and that I would rather have no losing seasons.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine our coach telling recruits his goal is for a consistent 7-8 wins every season? Nobody would want to sign with us because that's a pathetic loser mentality.

Winning 8 games a year would place Tech as number 17 on the all-time win rate. That’s not loser ... that’s one of the best programs in the history of D1.