HERE COMES MIAMI!!!!!!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I still remember the '14 game when a dah U thug got his clocked cleaned outside the North EZ as the band and cheerleaders were coming in! One of the funniest things I've seen in a LONG time! I'm still shocked somebody didn't get in on their cell phone!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Got a question for you....I am taking my 5-year old to the game (driving down from Tampa). I have heard less than positive things about UM fans that attend the games. Do I have anything to worry about? Advice?
My wife would gut me if something happens to my son at a football game! Thanks a lot!

Just don't get into any unnecessary pissing matches. Keep a good sense of humor and don't take even obnoxious nonsense personally. And if you come across a real dbag just leave the area.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Miami has some decent fans that are unfortunately dominated by some real chauvinists. They are, as a whole however, not very appreciative of our team or program. In a way it's understandable because they've had a lopsided head-head, but on the whole we have been a better team.
Not sure I understand what you mean by GT has been the better team?

The head-to-head series is an 11-11 tie, however, 6 of the 11 GT victories come between 1955-1978. GT never played Miami in Miami’s dynasty years, but since 2000 Miami is 9-5 vs GT. And most recently (since 2010 Miami is 6-1 vs GT).

So how is it that “on the whole GT has been a better team?” I would agree if we’re talking prior to 1978. That’s nearly 40 years ago. However, in the new millennium, its pretty clear that Miami has been the better team.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I understand what you mean by GT has been the better team?

The head-to-head series is an 11-11 tie, however, 6 of the 11 GT victories come between 1955-1978. GT never played Miami in Miami’s dynasty years, but since 2000 Miami is 9-5 vs GT. And most recently (since 2010 Miami is 6-1 vs GT).

So how is it that “on the whole GT has been a better team?” I would agree if we’re talking prior to 1978. That’s nearly 40 years ago. However, in the new millennium, its pretty clear that Miami has been the better team.

In the Paul Johnson era, overall record, division and conference champions, major bowl games, etc. the only thing in favor of Miami is the head to head record.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
For a group that has yet to win their division (much less their league) they sure display a lot of arrogance.
Being a Miami fan, let me give you a different perspective. From the early 80’s to 2003, Miami was THE dominate team in college football. During that era no other program could match Miami’s success - 5 Natties and they played for 9.

Then, Donna Shalala becomes president and begins the process of scaling back the football program. She hires three coaches during her tenure and not one of them has a HC skill set. Only one left the program and got another HC gig, but that was in a startup program. It is during this regressive era that Miami enters the ACC.

However, once Shalala left, the administration once again opened the coffers and went after a true HC with a winning record and , once again, the program is fighting its way back to playing Miami football.

When you say, “They’ve never played in or won an ACC championship”, understand, it is difficult for older Miami fans to even think ACC because we were usually in the hunt for a natty but our more recent setbacks have humbled the program and now, just winning the ACC is a step towards our return to Miami football.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
gregsempsrott, what is is about your program that appeals so much to the "thug" element. You have the ugliest and nastiest fan base I have ever witnessed.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
When you say, “They’ve never played in or won an ACC championship”, understand, it is difficult for older Miami fans to even think ACC because we were usually in the hunt for a natty but our more recent setbacks have humbled the program and now, just winning the ACC is a step towards our return to Miami football.

That's our point. It really hasn't humbled a lot of Miami fans. Football is cyclical.

Being a Miami fan, let me give you a different perspective. From the early 80’s to 2003, Miami was THE dominate team in college football. During that era no other program could match Miami’s success - 5 Natties and they played for 9.

Then, Donna Shalala becomes president and begins the process of scaling back the football program. She hires three coaches during her tenure and not one of them has a HC skill set. Only one left the program and got another HC gig, but that was in a startup program. It is during this regressive era that Miami enters the ACC.

However, once Shalala left, the administration once again opened the coffers and went after a true HC with a winning record and , once again, the program is fighting its way back to playing Miami football.

I certainly understand the urge to be an apologist for why "my team" isn't as good as I would like it to be. I have spent many years playing that role for my team, the Jackets. The whole "Miami is back" campaign really has gotten weary, tho. You can denigrate the ACC, but the fact is Miami has not competed at a high level since joining. Oh, yes, very successful against us, but even during the last seven or eight years, it is an established fact that Miami was paying players and was basically a rogue program. I understand the need to project that image. Tech has not played a team with Miami's talent yet, and it will be a challenge for us tomorrow. But Miami hasn't really been tested yet either. We can't match FSU's athletic ability, but they were a wounded team with a true freshman at quarterback. I look forward to the game with some optimism that my team will be competitive to the degree that the outcome will hinge on which side makes a couple of big, game-changing plays or the ball happens to bounce in the right direction. If Tech loses, it won't change our universe much. But the pressure is on Miami. If Tech wins, Richt immediately becomes Randy Shannon, Miami is not back, and CaneNation goes back to the drawing board wondering out loud "how can we cheat so much, and still not win consistently"???

Deleted member 2897

I certainly understand the urge to be an apologist for why "my team" isn't as good as I would like it to be. I have spent many years playing that role for my team, the Jackets. The whole "Miami is back" campaign really has gotten weary, tho. You can denigrate the ACC, but the fact is Miami has not competed at a high level since joining. Oh, yes, very successful against us, but even during the last seven or eight years, it is an established fact that Miami was paying players and was basically a rogue program. I understand the need to project that image. Tech has not played a team with Miami's talent yet, and it will be a challenge for us tomorrow. But Miami hasn't really been tested yet either. We can't match FSU's athletic ability, but they were a wounded team with a true freshman at quarterback. I look forward to the game with some optimism that my team will be competitive to the degree that the outcome will hinge on which side makes a couple of big, game-changing plays or the ball happens to bounce in the right direction. If Tech loses, it won't change our universe much. But the pressure is on Miami. If Tech wins, Richt immediately becomes Randy Shannon, Miami is not back, and CaneNation goes back to the drawing board wondering out loud "how can we cheat so much, and still not win consistently"???

Well small point of order - we have a winning record against Florida State under Coach Paul Johnson. Miami does not...in fact they had lost 7 in a row before Saturday (which should have been 8 in a row), against a bad Florida State team no less. You can't go winless as Coastal Champion for the last decade, not have any NY6/BCS games (versus 2 for us) yet say you were the better team. Miami was the better team over the last several years AGAINST Georgia Tech, but not generally speaking.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
gregsempsrott, what is is about your program that appeals so much to the "thug" element. You have the ugliest and nastiest fan base I have ever witnessed.
I guess you would have to watch the first 30/30 on Miami.

So many of theses boys came up in difficult neighborhoods of Miami. But one of the good things that came out of these areas was the youth football program. It gave these kids an out from the drugs and gangs. Because these kids came from these neighborhoods, so did the fans that followed them. Many of whom are in the gangs and selling the drugs.

Couple that with Miami never getting any respect from other schools for decades and you can see how the chip on the shoulder was fostered - Miami against the college football world.

But just as there are those types of fans, the vast majority of Miami fans are like any other school fan base. Miami is a great school with strong academics and a beautiful campus in the neighborhood of Coral Gables. Definitely a professional community.

But whether your poor or wealthy, Miami fans stick together because they have one common denominator - they want their football team to make their city proud.
I think your commentary on the fallout of this game is a little exaggerated. Here’s why:

First, no realistic Cane fan expects Miami to run the table. Could they? I guess it’s possibble, but highly unlikely. Most see AT LEAST two losses this year.

This game against GT certainly sets up very well to be one of them. I don’t say that because I think GT is the better team, sorry, I don’t. But your catching us at the perfect time. A week off to heal up while Miami is trying to recover from a rivalry blood m-bath, where our best RB, WR, and 2 CB’s are all out. Not to mention our big freshman guard that has started every game this year. Couple that with the fact that we beat FSU after seven straight losses and that can mean more than it should to our players. It’s hard to come back mentally strong after you invest so much the week before. It’s just a great opportunity for GT right now.

If we win, that will tell me that we’re turning a corner as a program in the mental toughness dept. A loss won’t catch too many fans off guard because of the aforementioned.

You couldn’t be further from the truth regarding Riches status with a loss. Randy Shannon? That’s funny. He’s only had one recruiting cycle and next years Class is top five right now. We already have a better team attitude and hunger for winning than the last 12 years combined! Everyone senses that we’re on the up and up, win or lose this Saturday.

So many of theses boys came up in difficult neighborhoods of Miami. But one of the good things that came out of these areas was the youth football program. It gave these kids an out from the drugs and gangs. Because these kids came from these neighborhoods, so did the fans that followed them. Many of whom are in the gangs and selling the drugs.

Couple that with Miami never getting any respect from other schools for decades and you can see how the chip on the shoulder was fostered - Miami against the college football world.

But just as there are those types of fans, the vast majority of Miami fans are like any other school fan base. Miami is a great school with strong academics and a beautiful campus in the neighborhood of Coral Gables. Definitely a professional community.

But whether your poor or wealthy, Miami fans stick together because they have one common denominator - they want their football team to make their city proud.

I think your commentary on the fallout of this game is a little exaggerated. Here’s why:

First, no realistic Cane fan expects Miami to run the table. Could they? I guess it’s possibble, but highly unlikely. Most see AT LEAST two losses this year.

This game against GT certainly sets up very well to be one of them. I don’t say that because I think GT is the better team, sorry, I don’t. But your catching us at the perfect time. A week off to heal up while Miami is trying to recover from a rivalry blood m-bath, where our best RB, WR, and 2 CB’s are all out. Not to mention our big freshman guard that has started every game this year. Couple that with the fact that we beat FSU after seven straight losses and that can mean more than it should to our players. It’s hard to come back mentally strong after you invest so much the week before. It’s just a great opportunity for GT right now.

If we win, that will tell me that we’re turning a corner as a program in the mental toughness dept. A loss won’t catch too many fans off guard because of the aforementioned.

You couldn’t be further from the truth regarding Riches status with a loss. Randy Shannon? That’s funny. He’s only had one recruiting cycle and next years Class is top five right now. We already have a better team attitude and hunger for winning than the last 12 years combined! Everyone senses that we’re on the up and up, win or lose this Saturday.
Are you Luther Campbell? And I don't sense that. Been an observer of Richt for a lot of years. He's a slimeball, albeit one that can coach.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I think your point about fan base is a good one. I see it with Alabama and UGAg fans; many didn't go to the school and wouldn't stand a prayer of a chance to get in those schools. But they support the teams since they represent the state in their minds. At GT we don't have that problem .......

Concerning Miami becoming a perennial football power again; I doubt it. You have the advantage of being a private school that can accept whoever is needed for the football program. But I don't think that will be enough to compete with the big blue chip schools where it makes sense to go there to get a football degree. Has Miami put enough players in the NFL the last 10 years to make that case?

itsclif

Georgia Tech Fan
I think your point about fan base is a good one. I see it with Alabama and UGAg fans; many didn't go to the school and wouldn't stand a prayer of a chance to get in those schools. But they support the teams since they represent the state in their minds. At GT we don't have that problem .......

Concerning Miami becoming a perennial football power again; I doubt it. You have the advantage of being a private school that can accept whoever is needed for the football program. But I don't think that will be enough to compete with the big blue chip schools where it makes sense to go there to get a football degree. Has Miami put enough players in the NFL the last 10 years to make that case?

I'm a Miami Hurricanes fan and alumn that signed up just to post this.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...most-represented-2017-nfl-opening-day-rosters

Despite the the down decade, Miami has and will continue being one the programs that continually produce the most NFL talent. Miami has 44 former players that were on opening day NFL rosters, tied for 4th most with Alabama.

There is a reason why most Canes fans are excited about the future of Hurricane football. We've had a plethora of talent over the years, and we've still found a way to be mediocre. That boils down to only one thing: terrible coaching. No team with this much NFL talent should have been this mediocre over the past decade. Us Hurricane fans look at former players that that were just decent and nothing special, but are tearing it up in the NFL. Like I said, that comes down to bad coaching.

However, we feel like we finally have a competent coach and coaching staff to put the players in a position to win.

So yes, we are extremely optimistic for the future. And our 2018 recruiting class looks absolutely stacked.

Most sane Cane fans think we are at least 1 or 2 years away from making real noise. Richt just started his tenure. With a few more of his recruiting cycles, we should be "back."

Anyways, good luck tomorrow.