HERE COMES MIAMI!!!!!!!

crut

Helluva Engineer
Wait, what? I always thought those two terms were interchangeable?
Agreed, when did this happen?

Slot backs = A-Backs
Running Backs = B-Backs

I believe this interview in mid/late August was one of the first that CPJ used the terms. But the reason, to my understanding, for marketing/recruiting purposes. Those terms are sexier than A/B backs.

http://radio.cbssports.com/2017/08/23/paul-johnson-the-acc-doesnt-take-a-back-seat-to-anybody/

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-10_13-56-38.png
    upload_2017-10-10_13-56-38.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 21

Football man

Georgia Tech Fan
Got a question for you....I am taking my 5-year old to the game (driving down from Tampa). I have heard less than positive things about UM fans that attend the games. Do I have anything to worry about? Advice?
My wife would gut me if something happens to my son at a football game! Thanks a lot!

No they won't bother you with your kid with you. Avoid arguing with crazy people and you'll be fine they're bad but not that bad lol.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

crut

Helluva Engineer
But do you see like a consistent thing where we're not calling them A-Backs and B-backs anymore?

No, I've seen it be very inconsistent one way or the other actually haha. But I think there was a push to do it by the staff, and I see the benefit of it, so I'm jumping on the opportunity to plug for it. :D

I wonder if it was more a push by the assistant coaches and their lack of air time this season has dampened the fan base getting to know about it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I can totally respect that opinion what I've seen of the Option is penetration into the backfield by the tackles or defensive ends can cause issues. Then again that can be said of any offense. So I'm expecting a GREAT hard fought game which is what we fans pay to see.
This is illustrative of what I was saying. If you start elaborate stunts to free DLs inside, you automatically create lanes outside. Why? Because your LBs have to keep to the middle to stop any backs that get past the stunts. That means a numerical advantage on the sweep and the TO. It's all a matter of what choices the DC makes and what it costs to make them.

Again, if your DLs were as good as Clemson's in 2016, there would be great difficulties for us. They aren't.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
"We have to play disciplined football to win!"

Discipline has nothing, repeat nothing, to do with beating Tech. The reason why we usually are in the top 10 teams in the country running the ball and why the academies (and now New Mexico) are too is simple: everything the D does has an answer and our Coach knows what they are. You can be as disciplined as the Texas Aggie band and it will still involve choices by your DC about what to stop.

Your point is great, but discipline is still definitely important. It is true that losing assignment discipline can let loose big plays for us. But it is also true that simply executing those assignments is certain death for the reason you describe. You need to be disciplined enough and also win matchups to be successful.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Glad to have you. People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of GT people believe we are in a good position to slip under the radar and potentially take a W here. Hoping that Miami gets sort of... stuck reveling in the big win over FSU and possibly overlooks us. I for one think we are better than #26, but was very happy we were not ranked this week to continue that narrative of being under the radar - for now. Obviously if we win Saturday that won't be the case anymore. How are you feeling about the game this weekend? And about the Miami team in general? Is the U truly back in your opinion, or is that yet to be seen?

To reciprocate, some more insight into GT. We have outplayed all our opponents this year pretty convincingly, but in very unfortunate fashion somehow lost our opener to Tennessee. TaQuon Marshall, the QB, has been much better than anticipated, and Kirvonte Benson the running back has filled in quite nicely after we lost Dedrick Mills due to violation of team rules (GT is transitioning from calling B-Backs and A-backs to running backs and slot backs, respectively). O-Line has had injuries, but overall played well. Most, if not all those injuries should be cleared up for the Miami game. WRs have been solid but haven't been used as much as normal, even in our offense, because it just hasn't really been needed. Ricky Juene is the biggest threat there.

On defense, we have good stats but have yet to really play a strong offensive team, so a lot of fans are unsure if we are good on that side of the ball or if it's just a product of the teams we've played. Our weakness would be the DL and linebackers, while our strength is the secondary. We have a lot of experience back there and they have played well, especially Junior Safety AJ Gray. Our biggest overall weakness this year has been special teams. We've had struggles at times with the kicking game, and both punt/kick returns as well as punt/kick coverage. Punter Pressley Harvin is our biggest weapon on special teams. We apparently spent a lot of the bye week working on a lot of these issues, so we will see how that pays off. Finally, we also have had some issues with turning the ball over.

Anyways, good luck!
Where have you seen/heard this? Would be a REALLY smart move IMO.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Went over there and checked out their site...
It just cracks me up to read these boards... they ALL say exactly the same thing every time... EVERY board EVERY game, same mindless cliches... weak.
Boring...
Sometimes the teams win, but it’s never for the reasons they predict... more often they lose for the exact reasons they predict to be their inevitable success. Hahaha

By the way, we’re going to win this game.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Where have you seen/heard this? Would be a REALLY smart move IMO.

I posted an interview in which CPJ uses that lingo. It comes and goes it seems with him, but like I said earlier maybe it was pushed by others instead of him. I'd like to see it as well, it markets a lot better to prospective athletes.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I checked out one of their threads. Folks still saying that in 3rd and long we're absolutely horrible. It's always comical, even more so now since someone posted that stat the other day that we're one of the most (if not the most) efficient teams in 3rd and 10+. Top 20 over the last 5 years too. People just don't bother challenging preconceived notions. Then they wonder why they get beat.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I checked out one of their threads. Folks still saying that in 3rd and long we're absolutely horrible. It's always comical, even more so now since someone posted that stat the other day that we're one of the most (if not the most) efficient teams in 3rd and 10+. Top 20 over the last 5 years too. People just don't bother challenging preconceived notions. Then they wonder why they get beat.

They also complain about high/low blocks on every play that don't get called. Then they just get mad when someone asks to point out specific plays with them.

Deleted member 2897

It is official - we are #1 in the nation in 3rd and long this year.