He did again today in the PC

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Look I like CGC not crazy about everything he does but I like CPJ but wasn't crazy about everything he did.
but you lost me on a .667 winning percentage on 2 years . 7-6 and 8-5 would be 15-11 of .577 . I don't know anything about Temple who they had and who they lost but the 2 years they were 10-4 and 10-4 or .714 maybe they lost their best players I have no idea and really don't care all I care about is Tech. I will try and not judge him this year ( I'll try )

He was not head coach in the bowl game last year.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You people who are trying to tear down CGC for every little insignificant thing are doing nothing but hurting GT, you’re hurting recruiting which hurts the future. If in 3-4 years we are still here then i can understand the hate but this early into a new coaching regime is insane, it’s counterproductive to everything, itks an attitude of tearing down the world just to watch it burn, is that what some of you want? Chaos? Death and destruction of GT football?

If wanting a head coach who doesn't consistently obfuscate, bend the truth, and tell fabricated stories is calling for death and destruction, then I guess I'm the grim reaper.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Who has said “simple recruiting multiple 4 and 5 star players will magically turn Tech into a NC contender”?

I can’t find anyone. Yet you keep saying that’s what you’re arguing against.

As for willingly accepting losing seasons, I am seeing some people say Johnson would win 9 games this season. The reporters who cover the ACC had us in the bottom. Stats for Johnson’s teams projected us at three wins for the year, implicitly assuming the same team. That makes the comparison into a “Coastal winner vs a terrible team with the same players” comparison. We’d lost most of the production off of a middling team last season; expecting even even results from last year is optimistic. Realistically, we’re trading a losing season under Johnson for a losing season under Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I am really not getting the unfounded optimism for this team if CPJ had stayed or we hired a Monken type. OL was already a problem, and we know what that does to any scheme. BBacks were solid, but you have to have a whole lot of blind faith in (probably) Oliver who ran a very, very limited version of the offense when he played last year and couldn't clearly beat out TQM for the job. This was bound to be a down year simply based on returning production, maybe not this far down, but CPJ would have had to work something even more miraculous than he did last year to go to a bowl. And make no mistake, getting last year's team to a bowl may have been one of the better coaching jobs of his career.

But that's where we were talent-wise, having to pull rabbits out of a hat to get to a lower tier bowl, and that is the whole point of the direction TStan chose to take us in.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
The value of the weekly press conference is not for for the diehard fan who consumes just about everything that comes from GTAA and CGC. With the notable exceptions like sharing news of Camp's surgery, it's for the media (who dabble in GT coverage) and recruits to digest as short soundbites. Essentially the person who asks "where's the link to the entire thing" is not the target audience.

Here's a sampling of what's been done with the press conference:

mcsoxxnation

Georgia Tech Fan
Upon being hired CGC created HYPE about changing culture and making GT cool and recruiting to compete at the highest level. In today's world people react to "what have you done for me lately". Lose to Citadel and score 2 points against a G5 school AFTER a Bye Week and you're going to be under the gun. Facts are he has enough talent to beat Citadel and not get shut out by Temple no matter what transition you are in. Continue to get embarrassed very week and support will continue to erode and recruits aren't going to care about the hype

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, I am really not getting the unfounded optimism for this team if CPJ had stayed or we hired a Monken type. OL was already a problem, and we know what that does to any scheme. BBacks were solid, but you have to have a whole lot of blind faith in (probably) Oliver who ran a very, very limited version of the offense when he played last year and couldn't clearly beat out TQM for the job. This was bound to be a down year simply based on returning production, maybe not this far down, but CPJ would have had to work something even more miraculous than he did last year to go to a bowl. And make no mistake, getting last year's team to a bowl may have been one of the better coaching jobs of his career.

But that's where we were talent-wise, having to pull rabbits out of a hat to get to a lower tier bowl, and that is the whole point of the direction TStan chose to take us in.

Who knows who is the starting QB if PJ stays. Might've been LJ? JG probably spends another year on the bench and transfers, esp if TO is the starter (since that'd indicate a clear lack of interest in passing). The very-capable WR corps probably gets ignored again, based on how QB-Run heavy we became at the end of PJ's stay with us. OL would still be coached by Sewak and we'd still be complaining about him in the post-game threads lol.

Maybe Wells would be better though. Can't figure out what's happened to him but am confident he'll figure it out.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I would feel much more comfortable with CGC if he sounded like Mack here, instead of the constant media-speak and catch phrases we get. Scroll down for video.

https://www.si.com/college/unc/football/no-hamburger-eaters-mack-brown

He also defined the term “hamburger-eater.”

“Either you came to eat hamburgers and steaks before the game or you came to play,” he said. “We don’t need any hamburger-eaters, we need players. The guys that really have energy and get excited about the game usually can’t eat pregame meal. The ones who are along for the ride look around see whose steak is left so they can eat some more steak.”

So, don’t expect hamburger-eaters to make the flight.

lol Imagine if CGC said this gimmicky line

listen to this used car salesman!!!

He needs to focus more on the gameplan than grocery shopping!!!!

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
lol Imagine if CGC said this gimmicky line

listen to this used car salesman!!!

He needs to focus more on the gameplan than grocery shopping!!!!

I’d prefer CGC to actually say something different than the exact same things he says every time he’s in front of a camera or mic. To be truthful about the teams performance, instead of fluffing things up and sounding Iike we give participation trophies.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Let’s set aside his attempts to make it seems as though he was responsible for Temple beating our *** Saturday (he was, just not in the way he thinks he was). I’d like to know what he even means when talks about culture. So far it just seems like a catchphrase to verbalize something that he can’t quite define. And I suppose I would like to know the metrics or benchmarks he has for measuring his performance against his attempts to change the culture. And I’d really like to know which part of it needed changing, and why.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’d prefer CGC to actually say something different than the exact same things he says every time he’s in front of a camera or mic. To be truthful about the teams performance, instead of fluffing things up and sounding Iike we give participation trophies.

Collins' policy is to keep criticism of performance and all the real coaching/teaching stuff totally in-house and project positivity to the outside world. You see what the performance is. Why do we need him to self-flagellate himself and put the team down in public to make us feel better? He knows which approach will motivate his guys more effectively. All the best coaches give you absolutely nothing in press conferences and when we are winning, you guys won't care about this extraneous stuff, either.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The "recruiting" mantra has been going on since his hire and continues to this day. That you choose to interpret it differently is your opinion. Three certainly is an underlying belief that simple recruiting multiple 4 and 5 star players will magically turn Tech into a NC contender. I and others have pointed out the fallacy of that. I won't bother going point to point on you long winded post.....I would rather take the highs and lows of the last decade than the snooze fest of the Gailey years. And willing to accept losing seasons for the hope of winning in the future....there is nothing to be said about such stupidity.

It's beyond a fallacy. From SBNation:

"The NCAA said in 2013 there were 310,000-some seniors playing football. Here’s how long their odds are to reach various recruiting ratings, using class of 2018 data from Rivals, if we settle on 300,000 football-playing seniors as a fair estimate.

• 30 five-stars, or 0.01 percent of the class
  • 380 four-stars, or 0.13 percent of the class
  • 1,328 three-stars, or 0.44 percent of the class
  • 1,859 two-stars, or 0.62 percent of the class
  • 296,403 unrated, or 98.88 percent of the class
Players rated three-stars and up, who make up almost all of Power 5 recruiting classes, are roughly 0.6 percent of seniors playing high school football."

CGC will be a HUGE success if he just gets Tech to recruiting 3-stars.

TStan has said, repeatedly, that the goal for Tech is NOT to recruit 5 stars. Or even 4 stars. It is to recruit 2 and 3 stars and develop them over a 4 year period into 5 star players. Development is the key for Tech.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins' policy is to keep criticism of performance and all the real coaching/teaching stuff totally in-house and project positivity to the outside world. You see what the performance is. Why do we need him to self-flagellate himself and put the team down in public to make us feel better? He knows which approach will motivate his guys more effectively. All the best coaches give you absolutely nothing in press conferences and when we are winning, you guys won't care about this extraneous stuff, either.

Because, and I know it’s early, but his approach doesn’t seem to be motivating to the team. The players hop around as they get their butts handed to them, and we are told/shown that this is ok, because it’s encouraged from the top down. If they get this kind of treatment when we are at what may be a historic low point of on field performance, what motivation is there to get better?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Because, and I know it’s early, but his approach doesn’t seem to be motivating to the team. The players hop around as they get their butts handed to them, and we are told/shown that this is ok, because it’s encouraged from the top down. If they get this kind of treatment when we are at what may be a historic low point of on field performance, what motivation is there to get better?

So motivation is the key to wins/losses?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

To be fair, Oliver ran a limited version of the offense as a true freshman and still had quite a bit of success. Much more success than JT had when he ran a limited version of the offense filling in for another Senior QB we couldn’t believe he couldn’t beat out. I’m not saying Oliver was destined to be as good as JT, but it’s equally questionable logic to assume he’d still only have a limited grasp of the offense after another offseason.

I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable to think the talent of Oliver, our Bbacks and WRs couldn’t have translated to offensive numbers and success. Add that with how bad the ACC is, I don’t think 9 wins would have been unreachable. A forgone conclusion? Absolutely not with our OL and unpredictability of the defense, but it’s not that far fetched.

Not that any of this matters. CPJ left on his own terms and we were never going to hire a CPJ disciple anyways.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Who has said “simple recruiting multiple 4 and 5 star players will magically turn Tech into a NC contender”?

I can’t find anyone. Yet you keep saying that’s what you’re arguing against.

As for willingly accepting losing seasons, I am seeing some people say Johnson would win 9 games this season. The reporters who cover the ACC had us in the bottom. Stats for Johnson’s teams projected us at three wins for the year, implicitly assuming the same team. That makes the comparison into a “Coastal winner vs a terrible team with the same players” comparison. We’d lost most of the production off of a middling team last season; expecting even even results from last year is optimistic. Realistically, we’re trading a losing season under Johnson for a losing season under Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What? How did we lose most of the production from last year's team?