He did again today in the PC

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all the above, but you have to remember one thing - his audience is 14-18 year olds. Period. He has a 7 year contract and was hand picked by the GT AD. I am concerned about the X’s and O’s, but if Collins has a plan then I’m all for the execution of the plan. In all fairness, the media, other coaches, and our own fans trashed Johnson’s methodologies so perhaps Collins actually has a vision. I know a high school junior (he just turned 16) that has an incredible offer list that includes GT. All the talk and hyperbole is for this kid not for me. Collins knows that if the hyperbole works and we get the players that all of us will be singing his praises and 2019 will be long forgotten.

Animal02

Banned
I agree with all the above, but you have to remember one thing - his audience is 14-18 year olds. Period. He has a 7 year contract and was hand picked by the GT AD. I am concerned about the X’s and O’s, but if Collins has a plan then I’m all for the execution of the plan. In all fairness, the media, other coaches, and our own fans trashed Johnson’s methodologies so perhaps Collins actually has a vision. I know a high school junior (he just turned 16) that has an incredible offer list that includes GT. All the talk and hyperbole is for this kid not for me. Collins knows that if the hyperbole works and we get the players that all of us will be singing his praises and 2019 will be long forgotten.
Not if he cannot coach at this level.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know I’m frustrated as well, but I won’t say he can’t coach at this level after only 4 games. The bottom line is Collins appears to have a plan and that plan involves getting in higher level recruits than we’ve seen recently. I hope he puts on the blinders and sells, sells, sells to 14-18 year olds. That is all that matters so if he wants to stretch the truth I don’t care. We weren’t winning anything this year no matter who our coach was. But getting a top 25 class will be our equivalent of a Detroit bowl game this year.

MH55

Banned
Thanks.

I checked the participation report. Of the 22 starters, 15 were Matt Rhule's recruits. 5 were Collins, 2 were Carey's.

55 Temple Players played in the game: 28 were recruited by Rhule, 21 by Collins and 6 by Carey.

The 5 starters who Collins recruited contributed to this win as did some of the others who did not start. However, to call this a team "we recruited" is simply not true.
I said in earlier posts my biggest concern w Collins @ Temple was his recruiting. If you knew my posting history, you would know I felt he was winning with Matt Rhule's players and taking the credit. Today, I suppose he also took credit in losing to them too. If Collins recruiting was good, we, at Temple will know in 2-3 years. I know Rhule's recruiting was fanstastic and having 68% of his players starting 3 years after he left is a testament. ALL the players Collins mentioned going to the NFL recently are ALL Rhule's players including 5 players who graduated last year and are on NFL rosters.

So, here's the rub. If Collins brought Ga Tech into Philly to face "a great roster," how was it the same roster lost to FCS Villanova peppered with 5 NFL players on it and a host of other senior, all-conference starters?

Thats the press conference question Collins will face for the next few years of his big juicy contract.

Good luck ! Seriously. I was happy to see this home and home scheduled and look forward to coming to Atlanta.

CousCous

Georgia Tech Fan
My family adopted a seven year old chihuahua, and that rat dog (who I refuse to admit that I have actually grown pretty fond of) barks non stop when a "stranger " enters the house. My wife goes on and on trying to get the five pound Taco Bell ad to be quiet. I tell my wife every time, "She is an old dog. She is going to bark at strangers. It is who she is."

I think CGC is positive, high energy, and optimistic. I think he is intentional in saying the things he says in the venues he says them. I also think he believes the hype, schtick, pitch, and slogans he says and I really like that he believes in them so passionately. I am not a fan of the methodology, but I also understand I am not the target audience. It is who he is... and it seems this type of perspective resonates with the upcoming generation.

The athletes being currently recruited have never known a life without social media. They literally have grown up on a digital "stage." I think the accessibility and anonymity provided by the internet has made the majority of them extremely sensitive to negativity, because for them it plays out so publicly. We can debate for years whether they should/should not feel this way, but neither argument changes the fact that this is how it is. To steal the words of Billy Beane in the film Moneyball (not to be confused with Moneydown) ... "Adapt or die!"

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My issue is this stuff isn't marketing fluff or coachspeak or extreme optimism. They are downright falsehoods. From the comments about where GT was ranked when he was growing up, to the "toughest transition in the history of football," to this misrepresentation of the recruiting history at Temple, there is actual evidence of what has happened and he still gets it dead wrong whether intentional or not. If I'm a parent of a recruit that digs into the truth behind his comments, it's deeply concerning. And as someone mentioned, if/when he's able to get GT onto a bigger stage (fingers crossed), he's going to get drawn and quartered for it.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Here's the deal. If we had beaten Temple 45-0, and he'd said they had an 'elite front 7', that would be a hat tip to your opponent and coach speak. So if we lose, what is it? A hat tip to your opponent and coach speak. If this is wrong, Bobby Cox is the worst manager in the history of MLB.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Thanks.

I checked the participation report. Of the 22 starters, 15 were Matt Rhule's recruits. 5 were Collins, 2 were Carey's.

55 Temple Players played in the game: 28 were recruited by Rhule, 21 by Collins and 6 by Carey.

The 5 starters who Collins recruited contributed to this win as did some of the others who did not start. However, to call this a team "we recruited" is simply not true.
I said in earlier posts my biggest concern w Collins @ Temple was his recruiting. If you knew my posting history, you would know I felt he was winning with Matt Rhule's players and taking the credit. Today, I suppose he also took credit in losing to them too. If Collins recruiting was good, we, at Temple will know in 2-3 years. I know Rhule's recruiting was fanstastic and having 68% of his players starting 3 years after he left is a testament. ALL the players Collins mentioned going to the NFL recently are ALL Rhule's players including 5 players who graduated last year and are on NFL rosters.

So, here's the rub. If Collins brought Ga Tech into Philly to face "a great roster," how was it the same roster lost to FCS Villanova peppered with 5 NFL players on it and a host of other senior, all-conference starters?

Thats the press conference question Collins will face for the next few years of his big juicy contract.

Good luck ! Seriously. I was happy to see this home and home scheduled and look forward to coming to Atlanta.
Let's talk NFL draft talent. In 2017, Collins inherited a team that lost the highest rated Temple draft class EVER-- 1st round Hasson Reddick, 2nd round Dion Dawkins, and 5th round Nate Hairston. Kudos to Rhule for developing those guys, but stop blaming Collins for the drop off in that aftermath.

Animal02

Banned
I know I’m frustrated as well, but I won’t say he can’t coach at this level after only 4 games. The bottom line is Collins appears to have a plan and that plan involves getting in higher level recruits than we’ve seen recently. I hope he puts on the blinders and sells, sells, sells to 14-18 year olds. That is all that matters so if he wants to stretch the truth I don’t care. We weren’t winning anything this year no matter who our coach was. But getting a top 25 class will be our equivalent of a Detroit bowl game this year.
FSU says hello. How long will people continue to ignore the FACT that recruiting is not the be all to end all.
As for stretching the truth.........in multiple polls of recruits on what factors they considered....HONESTY is one of the top items.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Stop listening to the dumb press conferences. They aren't for our consumption.

I truly am interested in your thoughts. Who is a press conference meant for if not us keyboard warriors? I know in high school I didn't pay attention to the local news or coach press conferences. If press conferences aren't for people like us, then I truly an shocked. I trust the tweets and direct texts are much more appropriate for engaging 16-18 year olds.