HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Brohm is going to Louisville. They managed to upgrade coaches!
Initially it seems it worked out really well for Lville... I hate to see it since it’s likely to hurt Purdue and also immediately upgrades one of Tech’s annual opponents. :confused:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
That's a good hire for them.
He turned them down in 2018, but I suspect is likely to win faster there now.
This article says he is likely to make over $6MM year. He's been quite successful at both Western KY and Purdue.

$6 million a year? At Louisville?

:oops:

Does anyone besides me question whether this is an arms race we can afford or win?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
USC went to the Pac-12 champ game with 26 transfers, they'll be fine. This type of turnover will happen more and more.
The question is about much more than whether or not Deion can bring in talent. It is about whether or not he can make them a cohesive unit that doesn't resort to mercenary sniping when times get rough, whether he has the patience to build his roster up which will take 2-3 years (USC had a lot more to work with beneath those transfers than Colorado), and whether or not he belongs in the coaching fraternity with guys like Whittingham, Kelly and Riley who have dedicated themselves lifelong to it, or whether he is a shinier version of Herm Edwards.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The question is about much more than whether or not Deion can bring in talent. It is about whether or not he can make them a cohesive unit that doesn't resort to mercenary sniping when times get rough, whether he has the patience to build his roster up which will take 2-3 years (USC had a lot more to work with beneath those transfers than Colorado), and whether or not he belongs in the coaching fraternity with guys like Whittingham, Kelly and Riley who have dedicated themselves lifelong to it, or whether he is a shinier version of Herm Edwards.
Yeah. Case in point...Miami's talent has clearly been the thing that has rocketed them to high levels of success. No matter the coach, they just win. :whistle:

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Does anyone besides me question whether this is an arms race we can afford or win?
That’s the real question. Also, it’s the underlying reason why this board often discusses fundraising, attendance, poor contracts, and the administration’s decision 10 years ago to not pursue Big Ten’s reported interest.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I heard in the speech he gave about discipline and a very non-PC, non-2022 approach to decorum. No hoodies, no earrings, no phones, no a lot of things that are commonplace now.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I suspect someone has crunched all the numbers.
  • # of living alumni x donation rate % x avg annual donation $ = average annual contribution $ from alumni donors
  • # of alumni living within driving distance of BDS x season ticket sales rate % x avg season ticket $ = avg. season ticket revenue $
  • etc.
ADJB can push buttons to move the numbers in bold in a positive direction, but at the end of the day, either he thinks we can be competitive on the field or he doesn't. I suspect he knew the answer before he took the job.

The fact that PAC and ADJB are moving forward instead of trying to lower our expectations (at a time when it would relatively easy to snuff out what little fire remains) leads me to believe that the revenue modeling IS positive and that we CAN be both competitive and financially sound as an institution. This is not just wishful thinking on their part.

Over the past few months, I've repeatedly voiced my concerns about the systemic problems smaller, academically rigorous schools face when competing with the big state universities and their 100,000-seat stadiums filled with rabid fans situated in small towns with no pro sports, etc., etc., etc.

I will be extremely happy if I am proven wrong over the next few years. :buzz:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ironically, all things he had as a player

I can explain this. Kids nowadays only saw the 'stuff' (hoodies, jewelry, etc). They weren't shown the hard-nosed work ethic behind how he became 'PrimeTime'.

Not many kids nowadays understand his personna was earned.

Youngsters think the 'stuff' comes first. It don't.

Make sense?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

One of these really smart schools will need to try an experiment using money ball approach with heavy statistics for all the coaches and assistants out there and build coaching staffs that way based on what we can spend

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can explain this. Kids nowadays only saw the 'stuff' (hoodies, jewelry, etc). They weren't shown the hard-nosed work ethic behind how he became 'PrimeTime'.

Not many kids nowadays understand his personna was earned.

Youngsters think the 'stuff' comes first. It don't.

Make sense?
I don't think that is a recent belief. When I was in college (late 80s early 90s) kids on the basketball courts thought that the shoes and bling were more important than abilities. I saw kids in expensive high-tops and lots of jewelry who got beat bad by kids in cheap shoes and clothes. Even after losing very badly, the well-dressed kids still thought they were better. In football, the Miami players since the 80s have thought that the bling is what made the 80s teams cool. I think you could go back thousands of years and still find some people who thought that "looking" the part made you successful.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck

They don't have to pay off Satterfield. He left on his own. Leaves them with a little more money to work with. But regardless, they are much better off than we are financially.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
One of these really smart schools will need to try an experiment using money ball approach with heavy statistics for all the coaches and assistants out there and build coaching staffs that way based on what we can spend
What statistics are out there for coaches that you can use to play “moneyball”? We already know how to do it. It rhymes with nipple auction (triple option for those who can’t put it together.) Money ball works in baseball because the season is so long, the numbers and averages are going to level out pretty reliably. It’s basically impossible to apply that level of detail to a 12 game season. Especially when you’re looking to do it with the coaches, not the players themselves. Moneyball isn’t fool proof, either. It works when you get it right, (Tampa Bay Rays), but when you get it wrong, you look like the 2022 Oakland A’s who finished 60-102. Development and culture are still large aspects of what makes moneyball work. It’s not just picking numbers out of a pile.

If you wanted to build a staff based completely on “moneyball,” you’d start with hiring a head coach who has played for and won championships at a lower level, G5, FCS, D2, even down to NAIA. Then you’d look at the top coordinators, or other head coaches from lower levels who call their own plays on one side of the ball and hire them to be your coordinators. Fill in position coaches with more top coordinators from lower levels, maybe even taking some of the best high school coaches to fill positional roles. You really think you’d be able to sell a staff like that to a fanbase? To recruits? To your existing players? It could work, and it could work great, but that’s taking a huge risk of embarrassing your program if it doesn’t work.