HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting as a Tech Fan first, and a Badger Fan by marriage. UW players were VERY outspoken that they wanted Leonhard as the next HC, and many fans felt the same. Most thought it was a"done deal".
I think Fickell was a good hire though, and a bit of a surprise considering the connections to Leipold. BTW, the Badgers have plenty of money so they could hire virtually anyone they wanted. IMO, they wanted more HC experience, rather than hire the "new kid in town".
My understanding before today was that a large part of why they fired Chryst was because they didn't want to lose Leonhard to another job. Wonder what changed

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Like A Boss Win GIF

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

Want somebody to spin some plates next?
1669578967597.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We're interviewing Leonard next, right?

I dunno. This has gone from me thinking it was being really well-run to...something less than that. :confused:

This is what I was fearful of. HC searches are not usually smooth and you tend to end up with a guy way down on the 'list'.

It was certainly time for us, but it was never gonna be 'easy'.

On a whole other note, is Stanford's guy retiring? He'd be a good fit if he still wants to coach.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
nm
HC searches are not usually smooth and you tend to end up with a guy way down on the 'list'.
I hear you. But at this point it seems silly to go too far down the list given what we accomplished with Key. If the home run isn’t there I wouldn’t stretch too much past him since we’ve seen what he could do with a mess of team in 3/4 a season.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

I dunno. This has gone from me thinking it was being really well-run to...something less than that. :confused:
It's hard to tell how much is just a certain group being kept in the dark and raising hell because they're not used to it. There's rumors that end up recanted a few hours later. I've heard rumors of people threatening to withdraw funds. I've heard from someone very close to Brent that it's a done deal and he's signed a contract. I've then heard from someone who is on the search committee that they're still interviewing people. At this point, I don't know whether to believe anything I hear. I've made my opinions known to the right people a while back (before anyone was fired), my recommendation for AD got hired, so at this point I just wait.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
nm

I hear you. But at this point it seems silly to go too far down the list given what we accomplished with Key. If the home run isn’t there I wouldn’t stretch too much past him since we’ve seen what he could do with a mess of team in 3/4 a season.

In my scenario, Key is the guy down the list. But overall we seem to be in agreement.

slugboy

Staff member
This is what I was fearful of. HC searches are not usually smooth and you tend to end up with a guy way down on the 'list'.

It was certainly time for us, but it was never gonna be 'easy'.

On a whole other note, is Stanford's guy retiring? He'd be a good fit if he still wants to coach.
Shaw was a sure NFL HC, and now he’s done

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Another coaching search, another massive cluster. #2 option bails from contention because #1 option has it locked down, we get jilted by #1 but #2 has already moved along, then we end up with #3, 4, 5........

Damn, tell me this isn't so.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Another coaching search, another massive cluster. #2 option bails from contention because #1 option has it locked down, we get jilted by #1 but #2 has already moved along, then we end up with #3, 4, 5........

Damn, tell me this isn't so.
My only prediction about the search was that Tech would screw it up. Cabrera led us to believe they had the money to hire a proven head coach. I guess that can mean a lot of things, but what it means to me is a proven P5 head coach. That wasn't true about the names we were hearing. We clearly did not have the money to do that, which is what I thought all along.

Unless something has changed in the last hour, looks like it will be Fritz. So we get a coach that was 2-10 last year, and has never coached at the P5 level. Maybe it will work out, but nothing proven about it . Will he reunite with Chip Long, his 2-10 OC?

I hope they have money for good assistants and NIL, but I doubt that too.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

What is "this" that you are referring to??? If it's rumours and innuendo from the internet, I wouldn't confuse what I read here with the actual process itself. The fact that it is radio silent is a positive rather than a negative.