HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My choice now is to retain Key. He has proven he can coach at the P5 level after inheriting a rudderless team mid season. He was immediately down one position coach (his own) and then lost his RB coach. He then had to replace his injured QB with a transfer who struggled mightly in his first start. He then had to go to a freshman who had been on the scout team. He was performing well until he was injured. So back to the transfer. Key got the team ready to play against the coastal champion in an away game and wins.
The team was prepared to play an away game against the number one ranked team with two transfer backup QB's. A badly botched snap/punt and fumble gave up two scores. Tech was competitive in that game. Last year we were not.
Retaining Key likely keeps his positive momentum going, retains most of his current staff, players, and recruits. He has beaten other peer ACC teams with experienced coaches and did it without the benefit of an off season to implement changes.
I personally think it best to promote within an organization IF possible and IF qualified. In my mind Key is qualified.
As I've said before, I think Key's biggest asset is that he's affordable. It is true that the team went through a lot this season and performed well in some games. Tech beat Pitt (8 - 4), Puke (8 - 4), and UNC (9-3), two of those away. The team also lost at home e to UVA (3 - 7) and da U (5 - 7), this last in a blowout. We also lost to Ugag by 23 points. That is not impressive unless compared to the complete collapse last year. The headlines said it right; it was a rout where we were outscored 27 - 7 in the second half. I don't look on retaining the present staff as a necessary plus either, but I'm just a fan. Retaining the players would be a plus, but I expect most of them to stay no matter what. In short, I don't see a resume that leads me to keep him in the job unless we don't have the money to deal. If that is so, Key has just enough going for him to justify the choice. Then we will have to live with the results. The one positive there is that people are now wishing strongly for a 7 win season instead of dancing around with visions of sugar plums in their heads.

If the deals with Chadwell has fallen through - I doubt it has, btw - and there are doubts about Key then a call to Fritz could be a logical next step. He was considered last time and for good reason. The decision will be made soon enough and then we'll go forward.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There is a non zero chance auburn goes after Chadwell. They woudl have much deeper pockets than we do.

There are also rumors that Ohiostate is ready to move on from ryan Day.... he would be a coup if we coudl get him. Also if the ultimate goal is to secure a big10 invite. Wouldn't be the worst thing.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
There is a non zero chance auburn goes after Chadwell. They woudl have much deeper pockets than we do.

There are also rumors that Ohiostate is ready to move on from ryan Day.... he would be a coup if we coudl get him. Also if the ultimate goal is to secure a big10 invite. Wouldn't be the worst thing.
OSU fanbase in an uproar.

I just don't know if we're ready for "weakness and trepidation." Give me a Day to think about it.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
It has gotten better. There's been a steady improvement. This whole team improved when Key took over as HC.
There's more going on here than Collins walking out the door. The right guy was put in charge and this team has gone from moribund to revitalized.

I am afraid we(as in GT) are overthinking this. I think we have our guy and I’m starting to feel like we’re going to let him go.

slugboy

Staff member
As I've said before, I think Key's biggest asset is that he's affordable. It is true that the team went through a lot this season and performed well in some games. Tech beat Pitt (8 - 4), Puke (8 - 4), and UNC (9-3), two of those away. The team also lost at home e to UVA (3 - 7) and da U (5 - 7), this last in a blowout. We also lost to Ugag by 23 points. That is not impressive unless compared to the complete collapse last year. The headlines said it right; it was a rout where we were outscored 27 - 7 in the second half. I don't look on retaining the present staff as a necessary plus either, but I'm just a fan. Retaining the players would be a plus, but I expect most of them to stay no matter what. In short, I don't see a resume that leads me to keep him in the job unless we don't have the money to deal. If that is so, Key has just enough going for him to justify the choice. Then we will have to live with the results. The one positive there is that people are now wishing strongly for a 7 win season instead of dancing around with visions of sugar plums in their heads.

UGA beat #10 Oregon 49-3
UGA beat South Carolina 48-7 (who just beat Clemson)
UGA beat Missouri 26-22
UGA beat Auburn 42-10
UGA beat Vandy 55-0
UGA beat Florida 42-20
Florida beat #9 Tennessee 27-13
UGA beat Miss State 45-19
They beat us 37-14, and we could have had a better game.

I’m not satisfied with where we are as a team. I’m not beating myself up over losing when playing as well or better than a fair share of their top 25 and SEC competitors

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am, like many of you , ready to move on from the 3+ year nightmare. But I also remember, and many discussed on this board, that
TStan panicked and hired badly as a result. I prefer to think that JB is doing his due diligence, not rushing the process, in order to insure
that he has made the best decision possible. Pleasing everybody will be impossible, but most on this board will get behind the new HC, if not
immediately, then early next year as we see results on the field. Because of "the nightmare" the bar will be set pretty low, but I am predicting
right now, whoever is our HC, that we will go bowling next year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did he say anything about how Mark Teixeira's ultimatum was received?

No. Didn't even say an ultimatum was given. We spoke mostly as friends and I asked him a couple of GT related questions. He's not sharing much, but like I said, he made it sound like the big money donors aren't having as much influence as they are used to having.

I know nothing of a Texiera ultimatum, but if he's on the board, he will have a say I'm sure, but this is just opinion on my part.

Interesting but not necessarily good development. I spoke with my friend last week, and was going off what he told me just prior to Thanksgiving. Now I'm hearing, from completely different non-connected sources that the donors ARE having an issue with possible hires. No one mentioned Tex, but he is a big money donor, though usually more to baseball I thought. I could be wrong there and he might be giving a lot to football as well. You would probably know better than most on this site.

Anyways, this is at the moment unsubstantiated rumor, but rumor from people who are right far more often than they are wrong.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Interesting but not necessarily good development. I spoke with my friend last week, and was going off what he told me just prior to Thanksgiving. Now I'm hearing, from completely different non-connected sources that the donors ARE having an issue with possible hires. No one mentioned Tex, but he is a big money donor, though usually more to baseball I thought. I could be wrong there and he might be giving a lot to football as well. You would probably know better than most on this site.

Anyways, this is at the moment unsubstantiated rumor, but rumor from people who are right far more often than they are wrong.
If true, that is very disappointing. We definitely do not need a subset of donors (or fans) actively working against the new coach before the first game. That is the recipe to keep GT football in the gutter for decades.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Apologies if this has been shared already, but another spot is filled, and another good job is now open.

Fickell to Wisconsin

Interesting as a Tech Fan first, and a Badger Fan by marriage. UW players were VERY outspoken that they wanted Leonhard as the next HC, and many fans felt the same. Most thought it was a"done deal".
I think Fickell was a good hire though, and a bit of a surprise considering the connections to Leipold. BTW, the Badgers have plenty of money so they could hire virtually anyone they wanted. IMO, they wanted more HC experience, rather than hire the "new kid in town".

Last edited: