HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
My only prediction about the search was that Tech would screw it up. Cabrera led us to believe they had the money to hire a proven head coach. I guess that can mean a lot of things, but what it means to me is a proven P5 head coach. That wasn't true about the names we were hearing. We clearly did not have the money to do that, which is what I thought all along.

Unless something has changed in the last hour, looks like it will be Fritz. So we get a coach that was 2-10 last year, and has never coached at the P5 level. Maybe it will work out, but nothing proven about it . Will he reunite with Chip Long, his 2-10 OC?

I hope they have money for good assistants and NIL, but I doubt that too.
Where are you hearing that it will be Fritz?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is what I was fearful of. HC searches are not usually smooth and you tend to end up with a guy way down on the 'list'.

It was certainly time for us, but it was never gonna be 'easy'.

On a whole other note, is Stanford's guy retiring? He'd be a good fit if he still wants to coach.

From the article:
"Shaw told reporters after the loss to BYU that he has no desire to coach another team right now."

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the rumors of financial issues affecting the hire are true, then the money pledged for the edge renovation would be better used to pay off the debt and buy down operational costs.
That would always be the case. However, it is much more difficult to fundraise to pay off things that have already been built than it is to fundraise for new toys. If the association were to renege on the use of money that was pledged or donated specifically for the Edge Center, how many of those pledges would be honored? How many of the received donations would be demanded to be returned? How many people would lose trust in the athletic association when a new fundraiser is started?

It is always easy to determine how to spend someone else's money. (Not specifically directed at you @BainbridgeJacket) That is one of my pet peeves about GT fans. Too many, even on this forum, don't donate to the athletic association. Too many complain about having to pay $35 for a football game ticket. Then those same people complain that GT can't pay top money for a football coach and a coaching staff.

GT is close to the bottom of P5 in athletic revenue, and something must be done to correct that.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
My only prediction about the search was that Tech would screw it up. Cabrera led us to believe they had the money to hire a proven head coach. I guess that can mean a lot of things, but what it means to me is a proven P5 head coach. That wasn't true about the names we were hearing. We clearly did not have the money to do that, which is what I thought all along.

Unless something has changed in the last hour, looks like it will be Fritz. So we get a coach that was 2-10 last year, and has never coached at the P5 level. Maybe it will work out, but nothing proven about it . Will he reunite with Chip Long, his 2-10 OC?

I hope they have money for good assistants and NIL, but I doubt that too.
It's the typical GT coaching search clusterf. We got it, we got it, we got it........ we don't got it.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t get the impression from the Cabrera statement after Stansbury was fired - possibly there was more later - that we had the money to go big. I got the impression that we wanted to do better but were on the wrong track, including financially, so that we were going to try to correct that, and that’s part of why Stansbury had to go. What I want to see is something consistent with doing less embarrassing immediately while building up the balance sheet, but I don’t expect a proven immediate high-dollar fix.

slugboy

Staff member
Another coaching search, another massive cluster. #2 option bails from contention because #1 option has it locked down, we get jilted by #1 but #2 has already moved along, then we end up with #3, 4, 5........

Damn, tell me this isn't so.
I don’t know what you’re reading and hearing, and who you think #1 and #2 are.

Chadwell may be going somewhere else. He might have been our #1. He might have been our #1 with the right staff, but he didn’t have the right staff. There are rumors it was a done deal that fell through, and there are rumors he wants his defensive staff and we don’t.

I haven’t heard any other rumors of offers, unless Fritz had an offer.

But these are all rumors.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
There are threads on here for “who ya want as hc” but none specifically for updates and news on the process. So I thought I’d make one. Put stuff ya see and hear about the coaching search in here.