HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
The difference is calling someone a disappointment with not reasoning attached and saying a team unit as a whole was not very good.

The online is more than just the players, it’s coaching staff, it’s recruiting. It’s wider than just a few players. If it was one or two guys that’s different, but statistically and objectively our oline has been subpar
One principle is to focus on the problem, not the player. Another principle is not to be derogatory. We look for both. If you say “Rob Jones missed four blocks, he sucks and he’s a useless human being and his parents should be ashamed”, the post would be OK as far as focusing on the facts, but it’ll still be derogatory.

Re the offensive line: I’d be interested in seeing the PFF info from our last two games. I think the OL has gotten better.

(I’d also like to see how they did against Miami)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
One principle is to focus on the problem, not the player. Another principle is not to be derogatory. We look for both. If you say “Rob Jones missed four blocks, he sucks and he’s a useless human being and his parents should be ashamed”, the post would be OK as far as focusing on the facts, but it’ll still be derogatory.

Re the offensive line: I’d be interested in seeing the PFF info from our last two games. I think the OL has gotten better.

(I’d also like to see how they did against Miami)
I hear you, but it's unclear where you're coming down on the discussion (as a moderator).

I would say that our OLine has performed pretty poorly this year, in general. I have no issue with the way it was used because it was talking about the performance of a unit, in general, not a player, in specific. I think the numbers would support the supposition. I also agree we seemed to have gotten better as the year progressed.

I love all our guys and will defend any one of them until they show bad behavior.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I keep clicking on here for a “press conference at 1:00” announcement.
I believe even if Batt has made his choice he will need to convene a meeting of the Board that governs the AA to get its approval. That's why its unlikely to happen today. Unless it gets leaked.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I believe even if Batt has made his choice he will need to convene a meeting of the Board that governs the AA to get its approval. That's why its unlikely to happen today. Unless it gets leaked.
They could have authorized JB to make any offer within X guidelines. Do we know what agents are involved?

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear you, but it's unclear where you're coming down on the discussion (as a moderator).

I would say that our OLine has performed pretty poorly this year, in general. I have no issue with the way it was used because it was talking about the performance of a unit, in general, not a player, in specific. I think the numbers would support the supposition. I also agree we seemed to have gotten better as the year progressed.

I love all our guys and will defend any one of them until they show bad behavior.
I agree. Further, if we can’t say, oline, dline, defensive backs etc…didn’t play up to expectations then I don’t know how we can have any football discussions. Just avoid saying a particular player sucks.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Okay. It's almost noon on Sunday after the UGA game. What the heck is going on? Let's work through this.

Brent Key Scenarios
If JBatt wanted BKey from the get-go, a press conference c/would have ALREADY been announced. It hasn't. Why not? No good reason that I can think of. Silence tells me BKey is/was not JBatt's first choice OR Big $$ vetoed BKey when word got out to them. Regardless, the delay in announcing the Press Conference tells me that BKey is either not the guy or else he is a fall-back candidate in the event we can't get anyone else.

Jamey Chadwell Scenarios
If JBatt already got JChadwell, then a press conference will probably be delayed until after the Chanticleers championship game on 12/3 (but before the portal opens on 12/5). So a week more of this fun. However, if JBatt lost JChadwell or if Big $$ said "no" to JChadwell, then JChadwell c/would have announced that news to his team already. He hasn't. Why not? Because he's set on leaving, but not sure where he's going yet, and he wants other schools to think they have competition for his services in a bidding war. Of course, Tech has no incentive to leak that news, either, since we're still (potentially) negotiating $$ with one or more other candidates.

Summary (TL;DR)
There are only two scenarios that seem viable at this point:
  1. JChadwell will be announced after Coastal's championship game, or
  2. JBatt is still interviewing because BKey and JChadwell are both out.
What do you think? Let me know in the comments below, and don't forget to hit that "Like" button. 😋

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Okay. It's almost noon on Sunday after the UGA game. What the heck is going on? Let's work through this.

Brent Key Scenarios
If JBatt wanted BKey from the get-go, a press conference c/would have ALREADY been announced. It hasn't. Why not? No good reason that I can think of. Silence tells me BKey is/was not JBatt's first choice OR Big $$ vetoed BKey when word got out to them. Regardless, the delay in announcing the Press Conference tells me that BKey is either not the guy or else he is a fall-back candidate in the event we can't get anyone else.

Jamey Chadwell Scenarios
If JBatt already got JChadwell, then a press conference will probably be delayed until after the Chanticleers championship game on 12/3 (but before the portal opens on 12/5). So a week more of this fun. However, if JBatt lost JChadwell or if Big $$ said "no" to JChadwell, then JChadwell c/would have announced that news to his team already. He hasn't. Why not? Because he's set on leaving, but not sure where he's going yet, and he wants other schools to think they have competition for his services in a bidding war. Of course, Tech has no incentive to leak that news, either, since we're still (potentially) negotiating $$ with one or more other candidates.

Summary (TL;DR)
What do you think? Let me know in the comments below, and don't forget to hit that "Like" button. 😋
I think J Batt has his own timeline and his own process, and the new coach will be announced when he's completed that process and everything has been approved and finalized. I don't think there will be leaks ahead of time. I do believe there may be active candidates that have not been mentioned or discussed, candidates that might stop traffic.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Brent Key Scenarios

Jamey Chadwell Scenarios

Summary (TL;DR)
There's no need to call a press conference on a slow news day. I expect Cabrera would want to be there. Check his travel schedule.

Mon or Tue is more likely. As to Chadwell, "we" have linked him to the Tech job. I'm not sure he has. No need to brief the team.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree. Further, if we can’t say, oline, dline, defensive backs etc…didn’t play up to expectations then I don’t know how we can have any football discussions. Just avoid saying a particular player sucks.
Where have we ever warned someone for saying that someone had a bad game or that a position wasn’t performing well enough for us to win?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think the defense is likely to regress either way - White is clearly our best in the front 4 and will be gone, Ace and CT will both be gone and their backups have almost no game experience except for Tatum who has a little, and Walton, Sims, Allen, and King are all R-Juniors and could be done, I think at least a couple walked at Senior Day.
All those walked on Sr day including Chimedza

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Where have we ever warned someone for saying that someone had a bad game or that a position wasn’t performing well enough for us to win?
Didn’t say we had. Just commenting on people (in my opinion) being over sensitive to game discussions. Not intending to criticize moderators. I think y’all do a good job.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My choice now is to retain Key. He has proven he can coach at the P5 level after inheriting a rudderless team mid season. He was immediately down one position coach (his own) and then lost his RB coach. He then had to replace his injured QB with a transfer who struggled mightly in his first start. He then had to go to a freshman who had been on the scout team. He was performing well until he was injured. So back to the transfer. Key got the team ready to play against the coastal champion in an away game and wins.
The team was prepared to play an away game against the number one ranked team with two transfer backup QB's. A badly botched snap/punt and fumble gave up two scores. Tech was competitive in that game. Last year we were not.
Retaining Key likely keeps his positive momentum going, retains most of his current staff, players, and recruits. He has beaten other peer ACC teams with experienced coaches and did it without the benefit of an off season to implement changes.
I personally think it best to promote within an organization IF possible and IF qualified. In my mind Key is qualified.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
All the people who said Chadwell or BOB would be announced right after the game have to come up with a surprise reason he wasn’t 🤣
If agreed, JChad was never going to be announced immediately because they have a championship game to play.

He can skip the bowl, but not the Championship.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did he say anything about how Mark Teixeira's ultimatum was received?

No. Didn't even say an ultimatum was given. We spoke mostly as friends and I asked him a couple of GT related questions. He's not sharing much, but like I said, he made it sound like the big money donors aren't having as much influence as they are used to having.

I know nothing of a Texiera ultimatum, but if he's on the board, he will have a say I'm sure, but this is just opinion on my part.