HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s a name I’m surprised people haven’t considered more.

Willie Fritz at Tulane. He’s been a winner in the FCS, then at Georgia Southern, and now at Tulane. He’s got the Waves ranked for the first time since 1998. Personally id like us to either keep key or get Chadwell depending on how this season turns out, but he’s someone I wouldn’t mind hiring and im surprised not many Tech fans have mentioned his name.
I think his name has come up a lot among fans. We have no idea if the search committee considered Fritz, but I’m sure the search firm profiled him.

The creative choice no one has mentioned is Eric Bienemy. He’s been rumored for an NFL HC position for ages, hasn’t had a bite, and played for Colorado for the Fifth Down. Colorado and Tech are both open, and it’d be the NCAA’s coolest story if he coached either team.

I hear he can coach, too

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen on other boards that it still feels like a tossup. Nothing is settled yet. Rumors of Key getting hired on Monday are not true. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, it just means the decision has not been made yet. If it’s Chadwell, it will likely be after the Sun Belt championship

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s a name I’m surprised people haven’t considered more.

Willie Fritz at Tulane. He’s been a winner in the FCS, then at Georgia Southern, and now at Tulane. He’s got the Waves ranked for the first time since 1998. Personally id like us to either keep key or get Chadwell depending on how this season turns out, but he’s someone I wouldn’t mind hiring and im surprised not many Tech fans have mentioned his name.
He’s been mentioned quite a bit, his problem though is that he’s already 62 years old

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m at the point where every option we’ve heard in the rumor mills and media (not that media is any better than rumor mills) seems to have good points and risks. But who doesn’t have risk associated with coming to GT to coach this program?

So I’m going to be excited for our next HC and think about ways he is going to lead us to better football.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m at the point where every option we’ve heard in the rumor mills and media (not that media is any better than rumor mills) seems to have good points and risks. But who doesn’t have risk associated with coming to GT to coach this program?

So I’m going to be excited for our next HC and think about ways he is going to lead us to better football.
Agreed. We've had enough time to speculate that I've talked myself into excitement for Keys, BoB, or JC. If it's someone else, I'll need to hype myself up again, but I'd be optimistic with A, B, or C.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m not saying I disagree or agree, but you’re putting a pretty strong opinion out there with a shaky basis.

I’m not trying to change your mind, just giving you additional information to think about. I’m not suggesting you aren’t, but we should always be open to additional data that may inform our opinions. To ignore such leads to just talking past each other.

I don't feel there's anything shaky about my basis. As a GT fan, I'd love nothing more than to find a reason to exonerate him. As it stands, after reading all the articles about him, seeing the results of the trial, and having one of his own players on this board talk about what he did to them regarding taking their bowl swag to give away to others, I think the evidence is insurmountable. Add all that to resume gate, and you can't convince me he didn't know, and you have a man who cares more about himself and results than other human beings.

Now, if all this happened today, he'd long be blacklisted or in jail. As it stands, I think he's a product of his times, and I doubt he's even that unique. Again, if he hadn't beat uga regularly, I think more of our fans would turn on him, but for all that he did wrong behind the curtains, he did preside over a window of GT history that fans love to remember.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

If there's a coach out there without risk, I'm sure we can't afford him.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Just got a text that said “It’s looking like Brent Key is #1 right now based off some of the discussions tonight here in the building”.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If it’s Key for sure before we even play tomorrow’s game, I hope we keep it close. If we get beat 52-7 or 45-0 and then come out and hire Key full-time it’s not going to look good. We’ll be the subject of plenty of ridicule around southern media outlets, especially the AJC.