HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
5. Collins was responsible for most of the bad. Others are responsible for their portion of the bad. Key has done a good job as interim, but not exceptional. Keep the good coaches on staff if possible, but hire the best head coach available regardless if the boosters want Key.

I think this is generally correct. Clearly Collins had his hand in just about every bucket, including on offense, who to recruit, etc. and didn't allow his hired staff to do their jobs. Not sure if this was a reaction to doing it "his way" or that he was under fire from the start of what, but just based on the results since he was let go, something wasn't right during his tenure.

I'd be fine with Key or Chadwell or whoever Batt likes. I do think Key deserves an interview because I think he has done an exceptional job based on where the team was the day he was named interim coach. I didn't want him to be the interim coach, but he has shocked me with the turn around in the program since he took over. Is he perfect? No. But he's a heck of a lot better than the last guy. Clearly a seasoned football coach. Should we hire him just based on 8 games, probably not. His biggest plus is his relationship to the program and his clear love for Georgia Tech. Does that make him the best candidate? Likely no.

With regard to recruiting and your comments with another poster on the OL, I read somewhere (not sure if it was here or somewhere else), that Collins was recruiting OLs based on measurables, but not on talent. Someone mentioned a kid getting offered and committing from South Georgia maybe (?) who had the size, but who everyone who say him play every week knew wasn't a high DI prospect. Reportedly, Collins wanted him because he was a 6'4", 300 lb guy, but with no talent. I think that is what the other poster was getting at with regard to recruiting OLs and how Collins had his thumb on the scale as compared to who Key wanted to recruit. Collins' tenure could not have been more of a mess and after the last 8 weeks, I'm willing to give most of the staff a pass on their time when Collins was the coach. Just look at the D and what Thacker has done since Collins left. The D is actually generally playing really well.

I don't know how Collins finds a job (if he wants one) after this change in the team the past 8 weeks. Just a total indictment of his ability to lead a team.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Key doesn't get the GT job, that UAB job is looking like the perfect fit for him and UAB. Key has DEEP ties to the state of Alabama, he's from Birmingham, and he would do VERY well there. He would probably have a P5 level staff, and kids would love playing for him. IMO, kind of a no brainer for UAB.

You do realize you are saying UAB, with money out the wazoo, should hire a 4 win position coach turned interim HC that was part of a 3 wins per season for 3 seasons? This is not anti Key, I’m only stating fact (sounds anti, but it is not).

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
You do realize you are saying UAB, with money out the wazoo, should hire a 4 win position coach turned interim HC that was part of a 3 wins per season for 3 seasons? This is not anti Key, I’m only stating fact (sounds anti, but it is not).

I've heard that Key is not necessarily in line for any other job, P5 or G5. We'll see. I think he would make someone a good coach if it isn't here.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've heard that Key is not necessarily in line for any other job, P5 or G5. We'll see. I think he would make someone a good coach if it isn't here.

I would like to see him get a chance to HC somewhere… or even at GT if a better option cannot be found or finances dictate a cheap option for a few years.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
You're arguing with people who have convinced themselves that Collins alone is single handily responsible for every single thing that went wrong the past 4 years while the rest of the staff is blameless.
or perhaps you just haven’t made compelling arguments. And no, nobody thinks Collins was single-handedly responsible though most would agree he made things hard for everyone to varying degrees and your arguments against that aren’t convincing people because that’s not what they believe.

Also the contention that that doesn’t happen in business is ludicrous beyond belief. It happens every day in business where someone isn’t terribly effective at their current role and get put into a different role, sometimes management, and they thrive. And other times they fail.

Considering I am fine with whatever decision is made I feel like I can be pretty objective. So here’s a little different analogy… there was a guy who was a race car driver. He was OK. Even some would say pretty good at one level. He wasn’t great. He changed roles within the same field and became a crew chief. Good to have knowledge of what the driver has to do but didn’t have to be a great driver to be a great crew chief. Since he became a crew chief he won multiple championships at one of the highest levels of motor racing. Key proved elsewhere that he has some OL coaching skills. For whatever reason it didn’t work out here. We are hearing that there was some contention with his boss on how to do his job but let’s just say even with that he still shoulders a lot of the blame. Not dodging that at all. But he has a clue what coaching is about at the position level. Now he’s in a position that requires less direct position coaching knowledge and so far he has done reasonably well with the same team that the other guy failed most spectacularly with.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Here are the camps and subcamps:
  1. Collins was responsible for everything. Clean house. Hire Chadwell.
  2. Collins was responsible for everything. Key was not to blame. Hire Key.
  3. Collins was responsible for some portion of the bad. Key should have said something. Hire Chadwell.
  4. Collins was responsible for some portion of the bad. Trim the bad. Keep the good. Hire Key.
Going forward, instead of typing long, wordy posts, we can all just put the number of our preferred position in a single post. This will save time for everyone.
Darn it too late. I hit Post Reply on another response before seeing this. Can I reply 10 since I can kinda see all of those points?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Collins' tenure could not have been more of a mess and after the last 8 weeks, I'm willing to give most of the staff a pass on their time when Collins was the coach. Just look at the D and what Thacker has done since Collins left. The D is actually generally playing really well.

This. And Collins is a defensive coach who made a name as a DC. If his meddling was impeding our defense, I can only imagine how much it was hurting our offense.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
He's a good DC. If he get's back on as a DC in a few years he can get clear enough of this to get another HC shot with a G5 school again.

Will be interesting to see. He was DC at two places that have basically top tier talent, so now I wonder if it was him or the talent. And, he doesn't have to work again if he doesn't want to. Does he go to Alabama for the resurrection tour as an analyst? I just can't imagine being the school President or AD who puts his arm around Geoff Collins and says, "we've found our man to lead us to the next level!" Maybe if Todd gets another job...but I doubt that is happening as an AD. He may have to go on the resurrection tour and go back to UCF or somewhere as an Associate AD or something. Unfortunate.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Collins' tenure could not have been more of a mess and after the last 8 weeks, I'm willing to give most of the staff a pass on their time when Collins was the coach. Just look at the D and what Thacker has done since Collins left. The D is actually generally playing really well.
The defense wasn't playing all that bad before Collins was fired. Minus the Ole Miss fiasco.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The defense wasn't playing all that bad before Collins was fired. Minus the Ole Miss fiasco.

This year, yes. But I think you have to admit that they have been playing at a much higher level since he left. We've really been getting pressure on quarterbacks and not really giving up too many big plays (granted, two in the NC game and one of those was called back).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Will be interesting to see. He was DC at two places that have basically top tier talent, so now I wonder if it was him or the talent. And, he doesn't have to work again if he doesn't want to. Does he go to Alabama for the resurrection tour as an analyst? I just can't imagine being the school President or AD who puts his arm around Geoff Collins and says, "we've found our man to lead us to the next level!" Maybe if Todd gets another job...but I doubt that is happening as an AD. He may have to go on the resurrection tour and go back to UCF or somewhere as an Associate AD or something. Unfortunate.

He was a DC before that as well. He's generally regarded as a good DC. He's proven he's not a HC candidate right now though.

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan
Bryce definitely doesn’t have any “inside info.” I don’t even think he’s connected to the program in any way other than he does a podcast. He also acted like Dell McGee was a homerun, easy choice hire and he’s not even been mentioned as being a serious candidate. His “inside info” is probably just from reading these boards and looking at what other people claim as their own “inside info.”
now now....

Don't you think you should ask him first?