HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Really hope it’s not Key. Hard to believe we would take an offensive line coach (from a very underperforming unit) on a staff that was historically bad. And we want to do this because the team caught a couple of breaks in games that could have gone either way? Glad we won but does a few weeks change 3 1/2 years of poor performance? Blame it all on the previous coach if you want to, but Key was a part of the staff and the problem (in my opinion).

Oh well, seems like a very GT thing to do these days.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of who the coach is, I don't think Long's contract for next year should be a factor at all in deciding whether to retain him or not. Cabrera sunk that cost when he fired TFG, inherent in that decision should've been committing any costs included to remove his staff as well. If the new coach wants to keep any of them, that's fine. But even if Key is hired, he should have the opportunity to do a full reset of the program.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I've gone from Deion to BOB to Chadwell to Key. Good thing I'm not the AD - I'd have hired all four of them by now.
If you fire them before you hire them, there are no buyouts

Think About It GIF by Identity

That means Bobongo has to potentially fire 3-4 guys this week alone.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wouldn't it be something if BK took $2 Million in year one and asked J to use the other $1 mil to get some other coaches and recruiting stuff?

A Tech man might do that. Chadwell...not so much (though I wouldn't fault him, either).

Chadwell was my choice from the beginning. But I feel like, at this point, if Key is willing to give GT a 'hometown discount' that can go towards upgrading some of the assistants; that might ultimately be the best outcome for Tech.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Really hope it’s not Key. Hard to believe we would take an offensive line coach (from a very underperforming unit) on a staff that was historically bad. And we want to do this because the team caught a couple of breaks in games that could have gone either way? Glad we won but does a few weeks change 3 1/2 years of poor performance? Blame it all on the previous coach if you want to, but Key was a part of the staff and the problem (in my opinion).

Oh well, seems like a very GT thing to do these days.
So, if you get laid off because your CEO makes some boneheaded decisions, YOU were part of the problem.

Got it. :rolleyes:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If I run a unit that is bleeding money and my CEO gets fired (in part because of my poor performance) then absolutely YES!
Fair enough. But the consensus seems to be that the former CEO was meddling in places where he shouldn't, allocating resources poorly, and focusing on marketing to the neglect of developing a good product. That dragged the whole company down.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I had a stellar joke teed up about how easy you are, but I doubt it would've passed the mods' smell test so I let it go.

:(
At least I'm honest. Humble, too. I know I'm not AD material, unlike the self-styled geniuses and pseudo-cognoscenti that populate this board, of whom you are their king.:p

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair enough. But the consensus seems to be that the former CEO was meddling in places where he shouldn't, allocating resources poorly, and focusing on marketing to the neglect of developing a good product. That dragged the whole company down.
I think most people agree the offensive line has been poor the last 3 1/2 years. So, now we want to give that guy a promotion? Maybe it works out…but if we are using the business analogy it would not happen.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think most people agree the offensive line has been poor the last 3 1/2 years. So, now we want to give that guy a promotion? Maybe it works out…but if we are using the business analogy it would not happen.

You're arguing with people who have convinced themselves that Collins alone is single handily responsible for every single thing that went wrong the past 4 years while the rest of the staff is blameless.