HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
I know about all that stuff. He was fired and shamed and had to go to a lower level to get a job. He has served his time there and has been pretty successful. We all know that Tech doesn't have a lot of money to hand out to a proven coach, but you could get this proven coach on the cheap until he has shown that he is worthy.
He’s not cheap. Liberty is paying $5 million per year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We can't afford him, so it doesn't matter. I am pretty sure he makes almost as much as our HC, OC, and DC made combined. Then, we would need to afford an insane buyout for him. Just not going to happen.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Meanwhile, Key will be earning his stripes and longing to get back to the flats.

I don’t know Key personally. The players and parents like him. He appears to be a fine person and so much more “real” than Collins.

Yet, I don’t see him as a GT Saint…that he wants to be a part of the institution to the degree he would sacrifice career and money… just to coach at GT. He may take less pay than other HC to get a chance to run a P5 school.

He is a normal man looking to be good at coaching and leadership.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
The Athletic posted an article from Jeff Schultz. Its worth a read, but he touches on 4 possibilities.

1. Hire BoB
2. Hire Key
3. Hire BoB and keep Key on
4. Hire Chadwell

3 seems the least likely. 1 also seems low but what do I know?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic posted an article from Jeff Schultz. Its worth a read, but he touches on 4 possibilities.

1. Hire BoB
2. Hire Key
4. Hire Chadwell

Actually if we hire BOB i think 3 is most likely. Bob would keep key on as AHC and probably OL or maybe even OC since BOB is a OC himself and likes to call his own plays. It would let key head up recruiting (something obrien doesn't want to do. Key is rewarded for how he did as an interim and its not seen as a true demotion because he's getting an OC job. Unfortunately the last time he had this position was when O'leary did it to him int aht abysmal UCF season even though o'leary was calling the plays (o'leary isn't an offensive mind yet thats what he was doing)

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually if we hire BOB i think 3 is most likely. Bob would keep key on as AHC and probably OL or maybe even OC since BOB is a OC himself and likes to call his own plays. It would let key head up recruiting (something obrien doesn't want to do. Key is rewarded for how he did as an interim and its not seen as a true demotion because he's getting an OC job. Unfortunately the last time he had this position was when O'leary did it to him int aht abysmal UCF season even though o'leary was calling the plays (o'leary isn't an offensive mind yet thats what he was doing)
I just don't see the egos at play allowing for that. Stepping in and having the player's favorite guy relinquish his leadership role and all the players get in board for the new guy? Seems ripe for locker room fallout. The second BoB starts losing, there's a leadership crisis.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see the egos at play allowing for that. Stepping in and having the player's favorite guy relinquish his leadership role and all the players get in board for the new guy? Seems ripe for locker room fallout. The second BoB starts losing, there's a leadership crisis.
That’s how I see it. Key is interviewing for the GT HC job right now. If he doesn’t get it, why would he stay on and work for:

1.) The coach who beat him out for the job
2.) The AD who thought he wasn’t good enough for the job

slugboy

Staff member

1. Hire BoB
2. Hire Key
4. Hire Chadwell

Maybe Schultz has an “in”, but he seems to be going off of (someone who Batt was recently in the same with) + (the interim coach) + (a frequent rumor).
We hired Parker Executive Search for the AD search and the HC search. Batt wasn’t in any of the AD rumors. We think they had hundreds of coaches profiled. Now, we have reporters circulating the same names from October message board and twitter posts. I haven’t seen a reporter give a name that fans weren’t talking about for us or Auburn or any of the other schools. No NFL position coaches or coordinators. You’d think there would at least be a name that we hadn’t thought of.
It doesn’t seem like they have any inside scoop.

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know Key personally. The players and parents like him. He appears to be a fine person and so much more “real” than Collins.

Yet, I don’t see him as a GT Saint…that he wants to be a part of the institution to the degree he would sacrifice career and money… just to coach at GT. He may take less pay than other HC to get a chance to run a P5 school.

He is a normal man looking to be good at coaching and leadership.
...and , of course, to make money...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Another potential domino off the board.

Lots of talk about Leipold going to Nebraska or Wisconsin early, but in the end, he's staying. Wisconsin looking like they're going to ride with interim Jim Leonhard. Nebraska has talked to a few well known coaches, but all smoke so far.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You can read it in the tweet so it's not "paid" content, but one scenario is interesting: BOB as HC and he retains Key.

One thing that is VERY consistent from multiple sources is Jamey Chadwell. This guy has been mentioned many times with GT's open HFC job from various reporters.

Also, as was mentioned many times, Batt is not playing around with it comes to discretion. If anyone's "sources" are getting information, you can be assured it didn't come directly from Batt or Cabrera. They are currently a walled garden when it comes to information. There's a feeling that Batt has his guy, and it's been settled for a bit now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here’s what needs to happen…

We hire Chadwell. UAB hires Key.

Chadwell comes here, knocks it outta the park. We win 18+ games over the next two years. Key does the same at UAB. Some factory inevitably poaches Chadwell. We hire Key, he kills it over the next two decades and retires a Yellow Jacket. BoomI
I can see something like this playing out. If Key doesn’t get the job here he’ll go somewhere and keep building his resume. I doubt he’ll be a head coach any time soon. 3 years is a blink of the eye these days so if we hire Chadwell we’ll see if it works out over the next 3 years and can always go back to Key. From my view we could hire my grandmother and come out ahead from the previous guy so there is no bad hire to be had. Although I don’t want O’Brien. That wouldn’t excite anyone.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Tu
Hard to have compelling arguments to people willing to either make crap up or believe anything they read on the internet that supports what they want to be true.

At the end of last year, Thacker was incompetent and people were screaming for Collins to take more of a direct control. Here is what Thacker himself said last march and a bonus quote from a player.

"As defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker described the arrangement Tuesday, Collins has made “a concerted effort to make sure that he is available more than he’s ever been for the defensive (meeting) room.”

"“We’re actually starting to see the defensive mind of coach Collins,” Chimedza said. “Because we’ve all known that he’s a defensive coach. He’s (previously) been more with the offensive side of the ball. Now this year, he’s basically hands on with defense."

But now we're led to believe that Thacker was a genius held back because Collins was too hands on with the defense in prior years, and that the improvement this year is because Collins is no longer here. Why do people believe that? Because some random internet poster says it's true. Also, interesting that Collins is more hands off with the offense and we're somehow worse than we were in the past. Maybe there is a different common factor that was the actual issue there...

Apparently Collins loaded up on transfer OLmen instead of getting Key recruits to work with. Oh the numbers don't actually support that theory. Change course. Collins only recruited based on measurables instead.

I'm surprised we haven't heard about some 5* monster DT that wanted to come here but Collins turned away for *insert made up stupid reason*.

I've never said a word about what happens in business mostly because I think that trend of bringing up personal experience from working in the business sector is laughable and not worth my time to even consider, which is saying something considering the trash I do respond to. If I wanted to go that line I'd talk about how what also happens in the business world is employees who think they know better undercut their boss to try and make them look bad believing if the boss is fired it will benefit them in he long run. Might explain why our highly thought of OL coach was so terrible developing the ol.... Or I realize that comparison is dumb as hell and makes no sense because of the differences between the corporate world and coaching.
The business thing is a bit of a “my bad” because I meant to quote the post you were agreeing with from Jacket Bracket. That post mentioned the business context and I forgot to multi quote. Sorry about that.

No need to be melodramatic about making crap up. That happens on both sides of the argument. Let me ask you why you think the team, especially the defense since you pulled out some quotes (nicely done, BTW), is playing so much better now that Collins is gone? They aren’t great but they are considerably better. My own observations which are not based on football knowledge but rather just deduction from what I see is that we have three big factors (not in any order of importance):

1) Three new coaches on the defensive side of the ball
2) the players, in many cases transfers, have matured especially the ones in the secondary
3) Collins is gone

I think Collins being gone may actually have allowed the guys to do things differently in some ways and we’re seeing, at times, the benefit of that. No they aren’t world beaters but the defense is clearly better.

You don’t think the OL numbers make sense but again, to me, there are a number of factors involved and I do NOT absolve Key of responsibility for the problems with the OL. I do believe Collins had a hand in that problem as well but clearly the OL hasn’t improved as much as the defense has. I’m not as worried about the fact that Key didn’t get the OL better as it pertains to his candidacy for the HC position because it appears as if the inability to get the OL to be where they need to be as a position coach isn’t impacting his ability to get the team to play as a team more often than they have in any fo the prior seasons. Keep in mind that I am NOT advocating for Key over Chadwell or Clark or anyone else. I honestly don’t have enough information to have a preference. And I don’t like the idea of hiring a guy just because he has GT connections or is an alum but Brent has done something pretty amazing with the team these last 7 games. No, we’re not a good team. But we’re clearly a better team with him as IHC than we were with Collins as HC and you’d be correct in saying that’s not a very high bar to jump over.