HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
As I said in another thread (or maybe it was htis one and I'll be damned if I'm going to check) I think Pyron, in particular, would be an easy player for Chadwell to recruit to stay. He's another McCall waiting to be coached out of his shell. I think most of the players would be enthusiastic to stay on a Chadwell team.

Or any of several other possible candidates, including Key. Let's see what Batt decides to do. I sorta trust his judgment on this. As if I had a choice, of course.

And, btw, if Chadwell is willing to come to Tech, he'll set the terms. I wouldn't even blink if he said he wanted to bring his own assistants along. He's won every where he's been. He knows what he needs to do it again.
Im all in for his offense and think he would have a easy sell.for guys like Pyron. Its the Defensive side of ball I dont have confidence in compared to current group and think they are gonna be good recruiting as well

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And, btw, if Chadwell is willing to come to Tech, he'll set the terms. I wouldn't even blink if he said he wanted to bring his own assistants along. He's won every where he's been. He knows what he needs to do it again.

I tend to agree with this. If I were an AD, I wouldn't want to hire a guy who needed help picking his assistants. Nor, if I were a HC, would I go anywhere where I was told who my assistants would be. It's a recipe for disaster in either case.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree with this. If I were an AD, I wouldn't want to hire a guy who needed help picking his assistants. Nor, if I were a HC, would I go anywhere where I was told who my assistants would be. It's a recipe for disaster in either case.
I certainly wouldn't tell him who to bring, but it's a question the A.D. is going to ask before he's hired. If he wants to bring his staff and the A.D. is comfortable with that, so be it. If not, it could be a problem.

As takethepoints noted, he's won everywhere so I guess he knows what he's doing. But Batt may or may not be okay with it. We've got a good DC here, now.

Deleted member 6494

To be blunt, the players and parents having their opinion heard doesn't bother me at all, and strikes me as an input I'd want if I were the AD. That doesn't mean JBatt has to defer to them, but he should be listening to them.
I don't think so. He is to choose the best available coach, not by fan's, player's, or parent's emotions.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Where the hell is this Pyron or McCollum transferring worry coming from? Pyron doesn’t have a ton of film, injured and decommitted from Baylor to be closer to home, he’s not leaving. McCollum isn’t leaving either. Just stop fearing something that has nothing to it.

They've thrown their support for Brent Key, so if Brent Key doesn't get it, then posters fear they will look elsewhere. Not gonna happen IMO, but thats what some people think.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They've thrown their support for Brent Key, so if Brent Key doesn't get it, then posters fear they will look elsewhere. Not gonna happen IMO, but thats what some people think.
I don't think that should be a factor at all, in any case. Supporting the coach is a good trait in a player, but it certainly doesn't necessarily mean they're going to bolt if he isn't hired.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Just to clear any confusion up: Brent Key has not interviewed yet and will interview sometime after the uga game.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Batt is not choosing a coach just because the players want him lol. Players come and go within a few years. Batt is trying to find a coach to rebuild a program and hopefully stick around for a long time. Will there be players that transfer because Key doesn’t get chosen? Probably so but in all honesty I can’t think of a single player that is irreplaceable on this team. Choose the best/most proven coach (likely Chadwell)

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I had the opportunity to speak to J Batt at the last basketball game. I admit to my age as to how young he was to me. lol. I have no idea if he is the next incarnation of Homer Rice, but he came across as a personable and engaging person. He has an incredible responsibility as to the first choice as head coach. Perhaps his easy choice is Key. Going outside the box will be interesting. Personally, Key is my guy after the last victory. A tech guy that gets it and is a great ambassador of the program.

I think J will rely on the input from the think tank, and will be behind whomever is the next coach.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't think so. He is to choose the best available coach, not by fan's, player's, or parent's emotions.

I didn't say that. I said he should be seeking the input from all sources, including the players and parents. Ignoring your team is a good way to lose them early in the game. While you might not make the decision they want, hearing them out shows you care.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell could blow up?
There could be some disagreements in the hire.

At this time I currently believe it’s Jamey Chadwell that gets the job. Just my gut that is telling me that based off some things I’ve heard. I mean it could also be Key but I’m putting my odds on Chadwell currently with Key being a close 2nd.

I know a good amount of the money people want Brent Key due to a combination of things but they also love that he’s a Tech man. I know a lot of them are pushing for Brent to get the job, most notably, Mark Texeria is best buddies with Brent. Brent and Texeria were roommates in college and Texeria has a say in the next HC hire just like the other boosters since he donates are very nice amount of money.

I think J Batt wants Chadwell based off the things he’s looking for in the next HC.

I think there could be some disagreements between the Boosters and J batt if J batt selects Jamey Chadwell to be the next Georgia Tech HC.

The boosters absolutely love and adore Brent Key.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
There could be some disagreements in the hire.

At this time I currently believe it’s Jamey Chadwell that gets the job. Just my gut that is telling me that based off some things I’ve heard. I mean it could also be Key but I’m putting my odds on Chadwell currently with Key being a close 2nd.

I know a good amount of the money people want Brent Key due to a combination of things but they also love that he’s a Tech man. I know a lot of them are pushing for Brent to get the job, most notably, Mark Texeria is best buddies with Brent. Brent and Texeria were roommates in college and Texeria has a say in the next HC hire just like the other boosters since he donates are very nice amount of money.

I think J Batt wants Chadwell based off the things he’s looking for in the next HC.

I think there could be some disagreements between the Boosters and J batt if J batt selects Jamey Chadwell to be the next Georgia Tech HC.

The boosters absolutely love and adore Brent Key.
Hiring someone because a booster was roommates with the guy sounds like an awful decision lol. That is the kind of stuff that I would expect from Auburn. I hope Batt doesn’t do something like that.