HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Multiple players and families are now wanting Brent as HC. Honestly, while I don’t think it would happen, I wouldn’t be mad? I think he’s shown what he can do with what we have (so far). If he got his own staff and worked with the players as HC year round I could see an annual bowl team forming with him at the core.

I think it’s a long shot for key to win the position. But, he has the hearts and admiration of his players, which is more than some non-interim coaches can say.

There is a concerted effort amongst the players and their families to lobby for Key right now.

I'm not saying that Key is the only right choice, but he's definitely the favorite in the locker room. These young men believe in him like they never did with Collins. Key wasn't my initial choice when Collins was fired, but I'd be pretty happy if we kept him on at this point.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
My statement that was quoted is false?
He is not a horrible OC and play caller. No coach that leads an OFEI to number 2 can be “horrible as a play caller aka offensive coordinator”. Maybe someone can argue that he could be better, but horrible is just false.

TAMU have OFEI of 79 with their talent is unarguably horrible.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
He is not a horrible OC and play caller. No coach that leads an OFEI to number 2 can be “horrible as a play caller aka offensive coordinator”. Maybe someone can argue that he could be better, but horrible is just false.

TAMU have OFEI of 79 with their talent is unarguable horrible.
I shouldn’t have said horrible but he’s not performing how he should be with that level of talent. His play calling is extremely vanilla and can’t figure out that Gibbs needs more rush attempts. Many people across the country view him as an under performing/bad OC when you factor in how he’s using the talent at his disposal. No point in talking about it anymore, he’s no longer a candidate and didn’t even make it that far in the HC search for Tech.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Guessing Batt is waiting for after the UGA game. Imagine if we win that game and he’s already settled in on Chadwell. It would get real interesting.
I don't think you could not hire Brent if he were to beat UGA, that would look terrible and immediately plunge the fanbase back in to arguing about the coach and being divided. Winning cures all, but even Chadwell I don't think could win enough fast enough to make everyone happy in that situation, particularly if he doesn't beat UGA too.

ESPN is giving us a 1.3% chance in the game though, so its probably not a situation we need to spend too much time worrying about.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Garret Riley as the new Bama OC if he doesn’t get the Colorado job
Brent Key as the UAB coach if he doesn’t get the Tech job
Auburn most likely getting Lane Kiffin, I’ve even heard he had someone looking at potential homes in Auburn this past week.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Guessing Batt is waiting for after the UGA game. Imagine if we win that game and he’s already settled in on Chadwell. It would get real interesting.
A win over georgie is probably what it would take for Key to win the job at this point. I feel for the players who want him to stay, but these stakes have been present since the end of the UCF game. If they wanted to keep Key as head coach, they didn’t have the luxury of coming out flat against UVA and Miami. Had we won either or both of those games (in addition to the ones we did win), we’d be sitting at the top of our division right now with no question that Brent Key would become the next full time head football coach of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. I just don’t see it happening at this point. I hope Key gets a HC job somewhere next year and earns the opportunity to get another crack at being the head coach on the Flats.

Deleted member 6494

This guy has hit on some pretty big news before it was announced. Take it with a grain of salt, but:

We know for a fact Tech enlisted an agency to give us advice regarding the best candidates. I doubt seriously they care about the feelings of anyone on this board. An educated guess is the agency already had most candidates available on their prospective list as Tech would not be their only client.

When the Tech list was given by the agency to Batt, I doubt seriously Key was even on the list; I also doubt O'Brien was high on their list, and it seems obvious they have no interest in what any of us think on this board.

The candidate probably has been chosen for weeks and will become evident after this next week. The only hold back might be conference games and presumed picks for the first six spot of the playoffs. I would guess that the soft contract is because of a coach's decision to wait for any announcements until his statement of Okay.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
There is a concerted effort amongst the players and their families to lobby for Key right now.

I'm not saying that Key is the only right choice, but he's definitely the favorite in the locker room. These young men believe in him like they never did with Collins. Key wasn't my initial choice when Collins was fired, but I'd be pretty happy if we kept him on at this point.
I would love to see Key get the job, but just feeling that Chadwell will get the job. I don't have anything against him, and he be my 2nd pick as long as he doesn't bring his defensive staff.

Deleted member 6494

I would love to see Key get the job, but just feeling that Chadwell will get the job. I don't have anything against him, and he be my 2nd pick as long as he doesn't bring his defensive staff.

The word "Lobby" disturbs me as it may be intimidation toward the AD. I hope it is not of the style that says either key or we won't donate anymore. They only want their way, not the best for the team and school.

I certainly hope Batt holds to his own pick and not someone else's pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
If Key is retained I do not want Long back.

Tulane’s OFEI before Long was 38th in 2019 and 59th in 2020. In 2021 with Long they were 74th, and this year without Long they’re 40th.

Memphis in 2015 before Long was 27th in OFEI, 30th in 2016 with Long, and 18th in 2017 after he left

Notre Dame’s OFEI in 2020 the year after Long of 17th was better than any of the years when he was there

Even at Tech, we are worse in OFEI this year than we were every year from 2019-2021 under Pateneude. We were 94th in 2019, 92nd in 2020, and 78th last year. This year with Long we are 112th. That’s garbage.

Literally every team Long has been OC for has been worse with him than they have without him. Long has to go if Key stays. If Key gets the job and keeps long I’ll be pretty upset about it. There’s absolutely no data supporting Long keeping the job.
This

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The word "Lobby" disturbs me as it may be intimidation toward the AD. I hope it is not of the style that says either key or we won't donate anymore. They only want their way, not the best for the team and school.

I certainly hope Batt holds to his own pick and not someone else's pick.

To be blunt, the players and parents having their opinion heard doesn't bother me at all, and strikes me as an input I'd want if I were the AD. That doesn't mean JBatt has to defer to them, but he should be listening to them.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Does that post day he sucks as a college football head coach nope? It’s saying he’s horrible as a play caller aka offensive coordinator
That was in response to the discussion of his being eliminated as a head coach. Can you see how someone might believe you think he is a bad head coach? Regardless, your assertion that he is a bad OC is also objectionable.