HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m starting to think this UNC win was not a good thing for us long term…it’s going to further divide the fanbase when Batt picks Chadwell
Wow. I don’t even know what to say to a person who looks at a win and says it’s bad for us. This program, our players, their families, our fans, have been starving for anything positive to hold on to. Stop overthinking things. Enjoy the win.

Have you had a chance to watch the postgame press conference with some of the players? Compare some of the postgame press conferences from the last three seasons where the guys are despondent vs this one where the guys are just clearly on cloud 9. Don’t worry so much about who our head coach will be and just be happy with those guys. They’ve had so much adversity. They deserve to be happy and for the fans to be happy with them.

I honestly get where you’re going with that but my point is simply not to let fear of potential discord ruin your enjoyment of the win, and I know you are happy about the win. If there‘s division amongst the fans on who is the next head coach then what else is new?

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
Wow. I don’t even know what to say to a person who looks at a win and says it’s bad for us. This program, our players, their families, our fans, have been starving for anything positive to hold on to. Stop overthinking things. Enjoy the win.

Have you had a chance to watch the postgame press conference with some of the players? Compare some of the postgame press conferences from the last three seasons wheee the guys are despondent vs this one where the guys are just clearly on cloud 9. Don’t worry so much about who our head coach will be and just be happy with those guys. They’ve had so much adversity. They deserve to be happy and for the fans to be happy with them.

I honestly get where you’re going with that but my point is simply not to let fear of potential discord ruin your enjoyment of the win, and I know you are happy about the win. If there‘s division amongst the fans on who is the next head coach then what else is new?
i thought we were tanking for picks

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Random thoughts on Chadwell and Key:

Chadwell has never signed a player whose rating on ESPN was higher than 78. He had a commitment from a WR with a 79 rating, but the kid has (apparently) not been admitted anywhere to play.
Given his slim recruiting record, he and his staff must be damn good coaches.
I don't know how, but Key has done a very remarkable job with the current roster. And to a man it seems they love playing for him.
Sims and Pyron are both Tweeting for Key, so roster defections may not be as much of an issue as some of us feared if Key is retained.
After what he has done as interim coach, I cannot see GT telling him he has to leave. And, Chadwell will certainly not want Key around.
I would love to know what kind of conversations are happening in the Edge Center relative the current team.
If it's Chadwell and he wants to coach the CCU bowl game, we may not know until next year.
If it's Key, why not name him now? It could be that GTAA doesn't want to talk about the job until the season is over. But, are they interviewing others?
I am not convinced it's either of these guys. I think Batt wants a coach with P5 experience and has a name that might move the needle on donations to the program.

Is a puzzlement...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I had a feeling this was coming after the win, but let’s remember a few things

We just scored 21 points against one of the worst defenses in all of FBS (not just Power 5). There were some gutsy drives in there that were fun to watch, but we still have serious deficiencies on offense.

We needed an All American to drop a wide open TD to win the game. So, if he catches it, is everyone still calling for Key? Is the margin that slim that a player catching or dropping one pass would make the difference in your choice for the next coach who will likely lead us for 5 years?

As good as that win made me feel, it should not be a major influence over retaining Key. He has done a good job rallying the troops and making some cultural changes, but he should only be retained if Batt feels that he is the best option to improve Tech football. Right now I’m not so sure that’s the case. I could be convinced on Saturday (and it doesn’t require a win).

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Chadwell has never signed a player whose rating on ESPN was higher than 78. He had a commitment from a WR with a 79 rating, but the kid has (apparently) not been admitted anywhere to play.
I don't know how, but Key has done a very remarkable job with the current roster. And to a man it seems they love playing for him.
Sims and Pyron are both Tweeting for Key, so roster defections may not be as much of an issue as some of us feared if Key is retained.
After what he has done as interim coach, I cannot see GT telling him he has to leave. And, Chadwell will certainly not want Key around.
I would love to know what kind of conversations are happening in the Edge Center relative the current team.
If it's Chadwell and he wants to coach the CCU bowl game, we may not know until next year.
If it's Key, why not name him now? It could be that GTAA doesn't want to talk about the job until the season is over. But, are they interviewing others?
I am not convinced it's either of these guys. I think Batt wants a coach with P5 experience and has a name that might move the needle on donations to the program.

Is a puzzlement...
All good points but the only thing on my mind now was did i put the toilet seat back down. ........... Uh ho listening to the scream in the bathroom I forgot, guess now is a good time to take the dog for a walk.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If we keep Key. Goal for Key next year would be a bowl. Could keep Long for his 2nd year of his contract but expect improved offense stats particularly scoring per game.
New OL coach. There would probably be a few usual departures. Give Thacker another year to prove this wasn't a fluke year. We do need improved TE play---transfer portal?

Deleted member 6494

This school is a damn mess and this could all blow up badly based off some rumblings.
I believe this is true; it reminds me of the Gailey situation when a certain group tried to oust Gailey after he was hired. The Key supporters will do nothing but drag Key through this ordeal and hurt his chances elsewhere.

Deleted member 6494

There could be some disagreements in the hire.

At this time I currently believe it’s Jamey Chadwell that gets the job. Just my gut that is telling me that based off some things I’ve heard. I mean it could also be Key but I’m putting my odds on Chadwell currently with Key being a close 2nd.

I know a good amount of the money people want Brent Key due to a combination of things but they also love that he’s a Tech man. I know a lot of them are pushing for Brent to get the job, most notably, Mark Texeria is best buddies with Brent. Brent and Texeria were roommates in college and Texeria has a say in the next HC hire just like the other boosters since he donates are very nice amount of money.

I think J Batt wants Chadwell based off the things he’s looking for in the next HC.

I think there could be some disagreements between the Boosters and J batt if J batt selects Jamey Chadwell to be the next Georgia Tech HC.

The boosters absolutely love and adore Brent Key.
Batt was hired to get the best hire, but he may be undercut by the group. Sorry you honest guys have to put up with this; I have tried to help, but it is not appreciated, so I will sign off. To the owner of the board, I could not get in under my original email address and handle, so please delete my original email ( -- email redacted for privacy -- ) and my present information under Rodney Kent.

Last edited by a moderator:

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol. I asked my guy what the news was on a deal being done and got almost this exact message back:

"We are such a ****show, this is going to blow up in our faces."
I personally think no matter the decision, someone will get butt hurt about it. The silver lining is both Key and Chadwell have proven to be very good coaches. I think either could get us back on track. Long term, it’s yet to be seen if back on track is 7-5 or 9-3ish. So either way, we get back bowling and either way someone gets upset. Think it’ll all be fine in a year or two.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the rumors are true. And that's a big IF. But that Batt wants Chadwell and the donors want Key. Let's not get our panties bunched up and pretend like this doesn't happen at every P5 school with every coach opening. Dealing with big money boosters is a huge part of every AD's job. Highly successful wealthy people are used to getting their way.

If Batt can't handle the politics, or manage egos, then he's not cut out to be the AD of a major program. What the supporters with the financial resources to move the needle want is an important data point. As is what is the support level from the the overall community- fans, players, high school coaches, the coaching 'fraternity'... Those groups influence whether a coach has the means for success. What assistants he can hire and retain, players he can recruit, if financial backing he can have.

Now, if donors are trying to undermine the AD or play politics behind his back. Then that that is unhealthy (Auburn) behavior that the AD and President need to push back on. But important donors having an opinion, especially if they are willing to back their choice with meaningful contributions, that is something that an AD has to consider.

At the end of the day wins are what matter. AD look at none of the credit and all of the blame for whoever he hires. He needs to choose the coach he believes has the most likely path to success, given all of the data points.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Wouldn't a kid with a higher rating have offers from bigger programs to choose from?

If you could play for Ohio State, why would you consider Coastal Carolina? Conversely, why would CC waste precious recruiting dollars going after a kid who's going to sign with Ohio State and get the big NIL $$$?

A talented recruiter wins kids over to the program, but there are limits to that. If Chadwell is good in the living room (and on the field), then he'll get more *'s wanting to play for Tech because it's a P5 school with bigger TV exposure, etc. And if they're choosing Chadwell/Tech over Brown/UNC and so forth, then we're moving up the ACC pecking order pretty quickly.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
You know why Key scares me? Two words: Matt Luke. Look up Luke's career path and it's uncanny how similar it is to CBK. Coaching at his alma mater where being an alum is important. Beloved interim coach, OL/co-OC with a strong resume (was one of Cutcliff's disciples).

All that led up to is Luke getting a 17mio buyout and retiring before 50...

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If JBatt goes with Chadwell, then he's "found his guy" like Stansbury found TFG.

If successful, then we are very happy. If not...well, wash, rinse, repeat. (But I don't think it's going to come to that.)

I think BOTH of these candidates can be successful...better than what we had for sure...so we're splitting hairs to some degree.

The shocker will be if we hire a third candidate. Imagine that Chadwell said "no", Key hadn't yet beaten UNC, and an offer was accepted by the unknown.

Now, THAT would piss off practically everyone. :oops:

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I had a feeling this was coming after the win, but let’s remember a few things

We just scored 21 points against one of the worst defenses in all of FBS (not just Power 5). There were some gutsy drives in there that were fun to watch, but we still have serious deficiencies on offense.

We needed an All American to drop a wide open TD to win the game. So, if he catches it, is everyone still calling for Key? Is the margin that slim that a player catching or dropping one pass would make the difference in your choice for the next coach who will likely lead us for 5 years?

As good as that win made me feel, it should not be a major influence over retaining Key. He has done a good job rallying the troops and making some cultural changes, but he should only be retained if Batt feels that he is the best option to improve Tech football. Right now I’m not so sure that’s the case. I could be convinced on Saturday (and it doesn’t require a win).
This 100%! If Downs makes that catch, I agree that Key is not a serious candidate. So many prisoners of the moment here. All Key winning proves is how stunningly terrible Collins was (I was a supporter) at coaching football. Remember, Pitt literally dropped 4 ints and had 4 turnovers themselves and we barely won that one. Uva is sooooo bad and we couldn't beat them at home. I love Key and I am enjoying his run (except for Miami which I had to leave early because it was so ugly and we know how bad Miami is), but cmon, unless he wins Saturday, he should not be a serious contender. I would love for him to stay on next guy's staff.

And I didn't even mention the FSU game

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wouldn't a kid with a higher rating have offers from bigger programs to choose from?

If you could play for Ohio State, why would you consider Coastal Carolina? Conversely, why would CC waste precious recruiting dollars going after a kid who's going to sign with Ohio State and get the big NIL $$$?

A talented recruiter wins kids over to the program, but there are limits to that. If Chadwell is good in the living room (and on the field), then he'll get more *'s wanting to play for Tech because it's a P5 school with bigger TV exposure, etc. And if they're choosing Chadwell/Tech over Brown/UNC and so forth, then we're moving up the ACC pecking order pretty quickly.
I don't disagree, but Chadwell's best recruits look like our average recruits. Granted, he is not recruiting for an ACC school, but we are not exactly a recruiting powerhouse. The flip side of that is that he is winning a bunch of games with those " below average" guys.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
This 100%! If Downs makes that catch, I agree that Key is not a serious candidate. So many prisoners of the moment here. All Key winning proves is how stunningly terrible Collins was (I was a supporter) at coaching football. Remember, Pitt literally dropped 4 ints and had 4 turnovers themselves and we barely won that one. Uva is sooooo bad and we couldn't beat them at home. I love Key and I am enjoying his run (except for Miami which I had to leave early because it was so ugly and we know how bad Miami is), but cmon, unless he wins Saturday, he should not be a serious contender. I would love for him to stay on next guy's staff.

And I didn't even mention the FSU game
Did you listen to Mack Brown's postgame presser? He wasn't blaming the dropped pass...he was frustrated by the whole offense.

And that is - in part - due to our defense playing a good game.