HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Hiring someone because a booster was roommates with the guy sounds like an awful decision lol. That is the kind of stuff that I would expect from Auburn. I hope Batt doesn’t do something like that.
I just put that in there for context on why Brent Key and Texeria are close. They’re really good friends outside of tech events and tech life.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I just put that in there for context on why Brent Key and Texeria are close. They’re really good friends outside of tech events and tech life.
Yeah i know haha which is not a good reason to hire someone. Mark is biased and he shouldn’t be the ones calling the shots just because he writes the checks. That’s how athletic programs turn to **** fast.

We need a decisive AD that makes his own calls. I think Batt will be that so I’m still faithful.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Yeah i know haha which is not a good reason to hire someone. Mark is biased and he shouldn’t be the ones calling the shots just because he writes the checks. That’s how athletic programs turn to **** fast.

We need a decisive AD that makes his own calls. I think Batt will be that so I’m still faithful.
The sad thing is, the athletic department is almost forced to listen to the donors and the donors know that. The athletic department is so freaking broke, it’s sad to see as a tech grad that saw such bright days from 1986-1990. The boosters are the reason why Collins is fired so be thankful for them.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
The sad thing is, the athletic department is almost forced to listen to the donors and the donors know that. The athletic department is so freaking broke, it’s sad to see as a tech grad that saw such bright days from 1986-1990. The boosters are the reason why Collins is fired so be thankful for them.
If boosters are giving Batt an ultimatum then we are screwed. Not saying that’s what is happening but that almost never works out well. If they are loyal boosters they will let Batt do his job and support whoever he chooses.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
If boosters are giving Batt an ultimatum then we are screwed. Not saying that’s what is happening but that almost never works out well. If they are loyal boosters they will let Batt do his job and support whoever he chooses.
I mean they wouldn’t stop Batt from hiring Chadwell, they just would be dissapointed. Batt will prove he has some real balls if he doesn’t listen to them and hires a non tech guy. That will begin to show signs of good change in the corrupt Georgia Tech athletic association.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be OK with disappointed - hopefully they'd be open to seeing success, and if the success isn't there than maybe Batt isn't the right person anyway - but that's pretty different than "all blow up badly"!

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I only said it could get ugly since usually, anytime a donor gives money, they want some say in a decision and this time around they might not get much say in the decision just like in years past under the former AD. I could very well see them saying “I donate millions to Georgia tech, I deserve to be apart of this decision and be heard”. My worry is the tech boosters turn this into Auburn if they don’t get “their guy” like they have in years past.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone is a risk at this point. BOB is probably the safest bet at this point to bring us out of this 3 win purgatory back to the 7 win purgatory, but even he managed to screw up the Texans somehow. It would be a lot easier to screw up gt than the Texans.

We can afford the risk. We have nothing to lose at this point. Go big or go home imo. Deion's ceiling is national titles. Chadwell's ceiling is probably acc titles. I'd be happy with either one at this point.

Yes sir. We not only can afford to take a risk, we SHOULD take a risk. We have no where to go but up (or maybe sideways ;^). What we should NOT do is play it safe with a ho-hum hire that does little to excite anyone.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Folks on these boards love to act like it should be easy for an AD to just stand up to the boosters and go against their wishes. Well, when the people who fund your program are telling you their funding will disappear if you don’t do things their way, it puts a ton of pressure on you. GTAA is $200M in debt. We’re paying a guy $10M to not coach football, adding to our already crippling debt. There is no room to lose out on even $1M in donor money, because if you do, everything has to play out perfectly to get them back. I can see very easily how an AD could be swayed by a couple of guys who write 6 and 7, maybe even 8 figure checks.

When your job, career, legacy, life, and future are on the line, those are things you have to listen to and take very seriously. Teixiera pretty much single handedly bankrolls the baseball team, which outside of golf has been consistently our most successful team on campus for 2+ decades.

Anybody who acts like they wouldn’t even think about catering to the big donors if they were in Batt’s position is kidding themselves.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Where do you get that deions ceiling is national titles? He is the least proven candidate

I think the unknown upside. Several of the fan candidates upside is very limited or non-existent. I agree we don't know if Deion can hack it or not, but IF he hits, it will be big, that I feel comfortable in saying. I can't say that about BOB or Mullen or other semi-retreads.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know that anyone's saying it should be EASY for an AD to push back, but the leader of an organization should have a plan that they can get board/investor buy-in on *even if that plan didn't come from the board or investors.* And if you're stuck in a rut and want to break out of stagnation or being limited to a mediocre local maxima, you sometimes have to do controversial things - but you also have to be able to sell it.

Hopefully Batt can do both.

The alternative is slow decline with a new rotating line of ineffective CEOs, which sounds a bit like the last few folks pre-Batt, and just doing whatever the boosters ask for even if you don't think it's the right call is a good recipe for continuing that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There could be some disagreements in the hire.

At this time I currently believe it’s Jamey Chadwell that gets the job. Just my gut that is telling me that based off some things I’ve heard. I mean it could also be Key but I’m putting my odds on Chadwell currently with Key being a close 2nd.

I know a good amount of the money people want Brent Key due to a combination of things but they also love that he’s a Tech man. I know a lot of them are pushing for Brent to get the job, most notably, Mark Texeria is best buddies with Brent. Brent and Texeria were roommates in college and Texeria has a say in the next HC hire just like the other boosters since he donates are very nice amount of money.

I think J Batt wants Chadwell based off the things he’s looking for in the next HC.

I think there could be some disagreements between the Boosters and J batt if J batt selects Jamey Chadwell to be the next Georgia Tech HC.

The boosters absolutely love and adore Brent Key.

Apropos of nothing, but Cabrera is adamant about getting rid of the "old boys club" that led to Stansbury and eventually CGC getting hired. It's why he went outside of the GTAA to spearhead the search for an AD. Batt is empowered by Cabrera to hire the best guy for the job regardless of whose feelings get hurt...more specifically, whichever donors feelings get hurt. There's a strong belief that the GTAA has been held back because of the influence of the "club".

What you're saying is exactly what Cabrera is trying to get rid of: Donors/the old boys club dictating the HFC hire. Things are changing inside the GTAA, and it sounds like some of the people use to getting their way will be really disappointed.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Apropos of nothing, but Cabrera is adamant about getting rid of the "old boys club" that led to Stansbury and eventually CGC getting hired. It's why he went outside of the GTAA to spearhead the search for an AD. Batt is empowered by Cabrera to hire the best guy for the job regardless of whose feelings get hurt...more specifically, whichever donors feelings get hurt. There's a strong belief that the GTAA has been held back because of the influence of the "club".

What you're saying is exactly what Cabrera is trying to get rid of: Donors/the old boys club dictating the HFC hire. Things are changing inside the GTAA, and it sounds like some of the people use to getting their way will be really disappointed.
yeah, I’m really hoping Angel Cabrera means what he’s saying. I’m in a wait and see mode right now in regards to Cabrera’s comments. I’m just really scarred after the last 4 years with CGC and Stansbury.

JacketFan137

Banned
do not envy the AD job at all. having to satiate the egos of boosters while maintaining control of the program is a crazy and necessary balancing act. especially after they were pissed at the direction of the program. they get burned again they’re probably out

Squints

Helluva Engineer
tcu is now 10-0 “running what everyone else runs”. recruiting in the 30s-40s and by no means a football factory. remind me again why we need a “schematic advantage”? 😂😂

absolute shame we didn’t throw a bag at garrett riley even if it was a long shot. will welcome chadwell especially after this season of collins and brent key as HC and chip long’s offense but i think riley is gonna be the next big thing

What?

TCU runs a version of the air raid which is one of those 'scheme' offenses you poo poo all the time. Their head coach, Sonny Dykes, is one the OG Air Raid guys along with Mike Leach. They both learned the system under Hal Mumme at Kentucky. Every team he's been a head coach of has run it in some form.

Garrett Riley just put his own spin on it like his brother did. It's a really good spin but it's still air raid. They're definitely not "running what everyone else does."

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hiring someone because a booster was roommates with the guy sounds like an awful decision lol. That is the kind of stuff that I would expect from Auburn. I hope Batt doesn’t do something like that.
Auburn and Yellawood is different than Texiera, a highly successful athlete. I'd say Texiera probably understands what it takes to be a highly successful coach. I doubt he's just throwing his weight around to get what he wants. He's on the GTAA Board, so I'm sure he has a voice. I doubt Key being his roommate in college has anything to do with it.

JacketFan137

Banned
What?

TCU runs a version of the air raid which is one of those 'scheme' offenses you poo poo all the time. Their head coach, Sonny Dykes, is one the OG Air Raid guys along with Mike Leach. They both learned the system under Hal Mumme at Kentucky. Every team he's been a head coach of has run it in some form.

Garrett Riley just put his own spin on it like his brother did. It's a really good spin but it's still air raid. They're definitely not "running what everyone else does."
that’s kinda what i mean though. you’ve totally answered my point. most of the time people refer to offenses like bama, clemson, uga etc as “running what everyone else does”, when it turns out these are all offenses that have certain elements of different schemes.

some people in here are basically like anything that is not the option is somehow “what everyone else runs”. this is not directed at you specifically but there are several users that always reiterate this point and i just find it funny.

most of my gripe is that people seem to only call unique/gimmick offenses “schemes” and then just act like uga type teams have zero strategy behind them and just rely on talented players.