HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily directed at you but how does a HC at a lower level know his assistants won't be successful at the next level? After all, to this point he has trusted these guys to get him to a spot where he is a candidate for the next level. I think the thinking amongst the coaching fraternity is that coaching skills are transferrable (and linear) as you move up. After all, at CC or or Valdosta State or Fort Valley State or Valdosta High School you are competing against peers with similar resources, And you have done fine. So when you climb a rung on the career ladder, the assumption must be that you will be fine there too competing against better athletes and coaches but you too will have similar resources. How does a HC decide that ol' Charlie, his OL coach at Podunk State U is good at this level but now I have a better gig at Southern Idaho A & M that ol' Charlie won't be able to cut the mustard competing in the Lewis & Clark Trail Conference ?
This is a bit like saying the star QB at a high school is getting recruited to a D1 program and wants to bring his OL. How much of the success is due to the QB vs his OL?

You know the G5 assistants are good when other people are trying to hire them away to P5 positions.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think the thinking amongst the coaching fraternity is that coaching skills are transferrable (and linear) as you move up.

I believe they know that it isn't.

The lower the skill level (whether that is player skill or coaching skill) the more viable ways there are to have success and also the easier it is for being good at one thing to carry you. What works at a lower level may not work at the higher level even if the relative skill of the players on each side remains constant. Because the dynamics of where the strengths and weaknesses change. If coaches believed that coaching skills transferred linearly then they would believe there would be the same number of coaches who could have success at each level, which certainly isn't true.

how does a HC at a lower level know his assistants won't be successful at the next level?

They don't know. But they'll have a belief based on working with them. If Chadwell came here, he'd try to make the best staff. Which means he would bring his former assistants who he believes will do better than any alternative he could find, and he'd try to upgrade over the weaker members of his staff using the new job, and therefore the new selling points, to try and lure assistants who wouldn't have taken the same position at his previous school.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If you switch companies, do you usually demand that the new company hire your entire staff without regard to whether they are capable of being successful or not? The suggestion that a new coach has carte blanche to bring in whomever he wants is kind of silly. No AD would agree to that without a discussion and some tacit agreement on the new staff. If the AD feels comfortable that the proposed new staff will be successful than I am sure he will allow the new coach to hire who he wants. However, I think there is pretty clear evidence that the defensive staff at CCU is not ready for P5 football. So, I seriously doubt he will allow Chadwell to bring them along.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily directed at you but how does a HC at a lower level know his assistants won't be successful at the next level? After all, to this point he has trusted these guys to get him to a spot where he is a candidate for the next level. I think the thinking amongst the coaching fraternity is that coaching skills are transferrable (and linear) as you move up. After all, at CC or or Valdosta State or Fort Valley State or Valdosta High School you are competing against peers with similar resources, And you have done fine. So when you climb a rung on the career ladder, the assumption must be that you will be fine there too competing against better athletes and coaches but you too will have similar resources. How does a HC decide that ol' Charlie, his OL coach at Podunk State U is good at this level but now I have a better gig at Southern Idaho A & M that ol' Charlie won't be able to cut the mustard competing in the Lewis & Clark Trail Conference ?
Well Chadwell’s DC hasn’t been all that great there, so hopefully he would jump on a chance to upgrade

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we can't make a splash hire. I'd rather keep Key, on a Tech favorable contract, than Bronco Mendenhall, Mullen or some of the other names being mentioned.

He's a good coach. I don't know that he makes our team better than the sum of its parts -which is what makes a great coach. But he doesn't make the team worse like C**** did. I hope we can hire a great coach.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
How'd that work out 4 years ago?
You read my mind. Bringing a staff with them or hiring all new...it's six one way, half dozen the other. That is about as neutral as it gets. I just want a HC that has improved another program, hopefully more than one school. I want him to hire the best up n coming or established OC and DC that he can given resources and interest. No more, no less. Hopefully then the third hire is entirely recruiting/portal/NIL focused. They don't even need any football related skills...just pure salesman/closer.