HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Look. I am happy we won. But let's keep it real. VPISU is one of the worst P5 teams in college football and we barely won. There is nothing about this game that will move the needle towards hiring Key as the next head coach. Even if we win the next two games, which is highly unlikely, we will most likely hire someone new. There are too many good options out there to settle for Key at this point. The loss to UVA sealed his fate.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Key’s biggest mistake was not having a backup QB ready. He should have recognized that with Sims injury history. That would have put another W in his resume. He’s cleaned up alot of the obvious errors and FSU game may not look as bad if they keep playing at this level. If he can get a W against Miami and play a good close game against UNC, I think he’s back in consideration. Another thing to note, while Thacker has the D playing good now, we lose our best D players after the season, so regression will be there regardless of D coordinator.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Key is a real candidate and is only helping his cause. He will get a formal interview along with all other candidates. He has a ton to pitch to J Batt that some candidates don’t have. The reason for Pyron not getting a look against UVA is because Collins was focusing on having Sims and Gibson ready and they got all the practice reps. Pyron had a lot of ground to make up because of that and did make up that ground quickly, he really turned a corner mid season in practice and the film room with Key becoming the interim.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was very pleased that we won and that Pyron played so well. That out of the way, I would add that all of the main candidates mentioned here would eat their eyes out to have Pyron as a QB. Chadwell: "He's another McCall!" Leipold: "Well, he can step right in!" Mullen: "Another Nick Ferguson? I know how to win with that!" Even BoB would be pleased: "He knows how to stand in the pocket even if he has DLs in his face. I like it!" And I think Pyron would stay for any of these coaches.

Btw, I want to revisit something I said multiple times here when Paul was coach. Option offenses make life much easier for OLs. If you run the ball well and the QB is a threat to run, then the DLs can't tee off on you. A quick commit in an option scheme is asking for it. Also, since your blocks are very much the same on run and RPO plays, it's harder for the D to adjust and you can catch them flatfooted. Even on obvious pass downs they have to watch their step. I bring this up because everybody is saying our OL is so bad. I agree that for the O we are running they aren't all that good. With any of the coaches above except BoB they would probably look a lot better.

Provided that we don't get to 6-6 and give Key his chance. It might happen.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
To be honest I feel like his offense is his only real selling point. Plus he has a QB right now that really fits that system which helps. Kind of like when JT5 was in CPJ offense. Nothing else about his team is really anything special. I also really don't like the fact he is supposedly hung up on bringing his current staff with him. I know I could be 100% wrong its just the felling I get watching them. If he does end up being our coach I won't have a problem with it, but would rather see a more experienced head coach get the job with a history of developing players. I think Dan Mullen would be a good choice. Id rather have Freeze but his contract makes that impossible.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Look. I am happy we won. But let's keep it real. VPISU is one of the worst P5 teams in college football and we barely won. There is nothing about this game that will move the needle towards hiring Key as the next head coach. Even if we win the next two games, which is highly unlikely, we will most likely hire someone new. There are too many good options out there to settle for Key at this point. The loss to UVA sealed his fate.
I agree that Key is still a long shot, but I do want to say that WE, US, GT has been “one of the worst P5 teams in college football” for 3+ years... but now we’re finding ways to win. It may not be enough to hire the guy, but let’s not be too quick to dismiss it either.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The fans like passing.

Ol Holding is legal by pass blocking .

Blocking below the waist is on way out. Chop blocking is called at drop of hat.

Question
If we hire the cc guy that has his system and it doesn't work, what do we do? Lets not spend a half decade married to a system thats not working and no one else uses .

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that Key is still a long shot, but I do want to say that WE, US, GT has been “one of the worst P5 teams in college football” for 3+ years... but now we’re finding ways to win. It may not be enough to hire the guy, but let’s not be too quick to dismiss it either.
It’s nothing against Key. He has done everything we expected and more as IHC. It’s not really fair but the reality is he had almost no shot at HC from the day he got promoted. We fired Collins to clean house and start fresh and unless Key does something miraculous, we were always going to bring someone new in. We haven’t done anything miraculous yet and it’s not looking like anything like that will happen.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It’s nothing against Key. He has done everything we expected and more as IHC. It’s not really fair but the reality is he had almost no shot at HC from the day he got promoted. We fired Collins to clean house and start fresh and unless Key does something miraculous, we were always going to bring someone new in. We haven’t done anything miraculous yet and it’s not looking like anything like that will happen.
I agree with what you say 100%. I’m taking issue more with the dismissive attitude toward “barely beating one of the worst teams in P5 football.” It was only a few short weeks ago that we were losing these games... let’s not totally dismiss it.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. But it kind of makes my point. We are so starved for wins that we are overreacting to every win at this point. Beating an extremely bad VPISU by one point is neither impressive nor a resume builder, even if we have stunk for the last 3+ years. Again, you do not get ten days to prepare for UVA and play like we did. We then had another nine days to prepare for FSU and had one of worst performances on the year on both sides of the ball. I am more forgiving of the FSU because they are a quality team, but losing to UVA at home is deal breaker. I like Brent Key. I think he will make a fine head coach one day. But there are too many excellent head coaches available to give him the job.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A really nice win for the staff and our players. They have really created turnovers this year and the fumble recovery at the end was one of the most timely of the year. Pyron is a winner and the team is starting to rally around him.