HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I see McGee and Deion both being part of the "Recruiting First" coach options, but I don't see McGee as being near the gamble that Deion might be.

I like McGee way more than Deion. I like that McGee is respected by HS coaches (and not just idolized).
I like that he's coached at literally the highest level of CFB and been part of a winning organization.
I like that he's recruited Georgia at both Ga Southern and UGA.
I like that he won't try to be the center of attention...I'm done with "Look at me!" coaches.

If either are successful we won't keep him more than four years tops.
I agree with you 100% and I like what you said better “recruiting first coach” and not “gamble”. I do agree I think prime is the bigger gamble. If McGee could get the mint to build a strong staff he will br all about winning. Prime wants to win but imo prime is all about prime and he wants to win for himself to keep building his resume in hopes to make it to the nfl. I think if McGee and prime had the job and were successful there’s are much likelier chance McGee stays around, prime would be gone as soon as a bigger offer came his way

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
McGee was a winner on the high school level and turned a program completely around. It has been said many times that high school coaches all around the state really like him and are all wanting him to get a chance to be HC especially now with this job being open. Most Believe he should have gotten the Georgia Southern job when he was interim for their bowl game. He has great relationships within the state with the high school coaches which IMO is huge for recruiting. A lot of these kids go to their coach for advice on where to go. From things I’ve read collins started off rebuilding relationships with high school coaches in the area and then it started to fall off after the results weren’t living up to what he was promising. Like anyone else idk if McGee Is ready to be a HC but if we go with a “gamble” I definitely think he is worth a shot just on his recruiting. He’s recruited a lot of talent to uga including he was the one that recruited Justin fields. He would need to build a strong staff around him similar to what Sam Pittman has done at Arkansas
I meant elaborate on the Collins damaging relationships part, not McGee. "From things I've read" sounds like twitter gossip at best.

And hiring McGee just based on his recruiting at UGA is foolish, he will not achieve those same results were he at Tech. Anyone can recruit blue chip talent to UGA, particularly with their "resources". He was a very meh recruiter at Ga Southern, pulling very low 3 star and 2 star players. Deion has at least shown he can pull 4 and 5 star guys to a much lower level program than we are, if we are to pursue the recruiter route.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If BOB is a dull hire, then Chadwell is a stupid one. Will be Geoff 2.0 without the antics. He's going to try to bring his staff full of Paterdudes from Coastal and they will get slober knocked. I am neutral on Deion now, but out on Chadwell and bob. Last point in what turned out to be a bit more of a rant than I hoped...why are we knocking Deion for not having recruited an academically rigorous school when Coastal is not exactly Harvard of South Carolina.

Flame away!!
Agree 100% why are we settling for the cheapest Head Coach we can find? The President now seems to be ok with spending money to find the best Head Coach lets take our time and find him

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen a lot of comments that just seem odd to me.

1. “If we hire a G5 coach, we’re bargain shopping to save money”: When Florida hired Urban Meyer, he was coaching at Utah in the MWC (not the PAC12 yet). He’d coached at Bowling Green before that. Lance Leipold had been at Buffalo before Kansas. They were hired because they were innovative coaches, not because they were cheap. Coaches try more new things at FCS and G5 schools. Hiring an FCS or G5 coach isn’t a bad thing, and P5 schools do that. Tennessee hired Heupel, and so on. Art Briles (not getting into the scandals here) was nearly fresh out of coaching high school when he coached Houston. Was Tennessee bargain shopping, or were they hiring the best coach?
  2. “Bringing coach XYZ will bring NIL money with him and 5* recruits”. I see some of this with Deion, where other NFL players and ex-players have worked NIL deals with his players, but it’s also not what we’re seeing at bigger places. NIL seems to go more with the school and the money. For example, schools like Texas A&M where you already have boosters stroking $100 million donations are where you’re seeing top 5 classes with NIL.
  3. “Coach XYZ recruited great to <insert school name>, he’ll do that here”. In most cases, recruiting is more tied to the school than tied to the coach. Deion might be a little different there, but normally a better recruiting coach recruits a few noches over the schools normal pecking order and a bad one several levels lower, rather than the recruiting ranking being directly tied to the personality of the coach. Also, unless we’re recruiting a player to play one year and transfer out, they still have to make academic progress here—we’re still going to have limitations even if our admissions department takes all the guardrails off, because we’ll have people fail out instead. Financial incentives were a contributing factor to getting 5* athletes even 40-50 years ago, and with NIL it’s even more the case, so while personality is nice, point #2 is going to be bigger.
  4. “That coach has never been a HC before”: that is also how NFL teams keep getting retreads and how Jeff Fisher kept getting jobs. In college and the NFL, the next great head coach is usually not a head coach now.
  5. “We’re surrounded by the best talent in the country, how hard is it to recruit that talent?”. Georgia State is also centrally located in the middle of a lot of recruiting talent. Being geographically central is not how recruiting works.
  6. “Coach ABC is a great recruiter, but we want someone that can coach. We just went through this with Collins”: Just because Collins was a bad HC and doesn’t mean that all good recruiters are bad head coaches. However, if recruiting is your primary virtue, that’s not a good sign. If you look at Alabama, Saban is a good recruiter, but he’s better known as a great defensive coach and well organized. Meyer was known for having an innovative offense (yes, Meyer was a “Scheme” coach). The coach I know of whose primary virtue is recruiting who surrounds himself with others to cover scheme is Mack Brown, and he’s having a hard time getting his defense built up. Even in basketball, where recruiting matters more, even the most recruiting-minded coaches are decent at scheme. Typically, a good/great coach is a good coach AND recruiter vs a good recruiter and coach—the order matters, and you need to be coach-first.
I could easily see us pick TCU’s OC Riley. Even going all in, we have to figure out what we want to be and find a fit. There’s some latitude in that—Saban seems like an odd duck to live in Tuscaloosa, but UA has adapted and so has he.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen a lot of comments that just seem odd to me.

1. “If we hire a G5 coach, we’re bargain shopping to save money”: When Florida hired Urban Meyer, he was coaching at Utah in the MWC (not the PAC12 yet). He’d coached at Bowling Green before that. Lance Leipold had been at Buffalo before Kansas. They were hired because they were innovative coaches, not because they were cheap. Coaches try more new things at FCS and G5 schools. Hiring an FCS or G5 coach isn’t a bad thing, and P5 schools do that. Tennessee hired Heupel, and so on. Art Briles (not getting into the scandals here) was nearly fresh out of coaching high school when he coached Houston. Was Tennessee bargain shopping, or were they hiring the best coach?
  2. “Bringing coach XYZ will bring NIL money with him and 5* recruits”. I see some of this with Deion, where other NFL players and ex-players have worked NIL deals with his players, but it’s also not what we’re seeing at bigger places. NIL seems to go more with the school and the money. For example, schools like Texas A&M where you already have boosters stroking $100 million donations are where you’re seeing top 5 classes with NIL.
  3. “Coach XYZ recruited great to <insert school name>, he’ll do that here”. In most cases, recruiting is more tied to the school than tied to the coach. Deion might be a little different there, but normally a better recruiting coach recruits a few noches over the schools normal pecking order and a bad one several levels lower, rather than the recruiting ranking being directly tied to the personality of the coach. Also, unless we’re recruiting a player to play one year and transfer out, they still have to make academic progress here—we’re still going to have limitations even if our admissions department takes all the guardrails off, because we’ll have people fail out instead. Financial incentives were a contributing factor to getting 5* athletes even 40-50 years ago, and with NIL it’s even more the case, so while personality is nice, point #2 is going to be bigger.
  4. “That coach has never been a HC before”: that is also how NFL teams keep getting retreads and how Jeff Fisher kept getting jobs. In college and the NFL, the next great head coach is usually not a head coach now.
  5. “We’re surrounded by the best talent in the country, how hard is it to recruit that talent?”. Georgia State is also centrally located in the middle of a lot of recruiting talent. Being geographically central is not how recruiting works.
  6. “Coach ABC is a great recruiter, but we want someone that can coach. We just went through this with Collins”: Just because Collins was a bad HC and doesn’t mean that all good recruiters are bad head coaches. However, if recruiting is your primary virtue, that’s not a good sign. If you look at Alabama, Saban is a good recruiter, but he’s better known as a great defensive coach and well organized. Meyer was known for having an innovative offense (yes, Meyer was a “Scheme” coach). The coach I know of whose primary virtue is recruiting who surrounds himself with others to cover scheme is Mack Brown, and he’s having a hard time getting his defense built up. Even in basketball, where recruiting matters more, even the most recruiting-minded coaches are decent at scheme. Typically, a good/great coach is a good coach AND recruiter vs a good recruiter and coach—the order matters, and you need to be coach-first.
I could easily see us pick TCU’s OC Riley. Even going all in, we have to figure out what we want to be and find a fit. There’s some latitude in that—Saban seems like an odd duck to live in Tuscaloosa, but UA has adapted and so has he.
Good post. Two comments:

First, Tennessee got Heupel because they simply couldn't get anyone else. When they hired Butch Jones, he was their 8th choice and the first to actually accept the job. Nobody wanted it. The same was true with Pruitt. They had to really hold their nose hiring him. Danny White brought Heupel with him from UCF but remember ... Heupel had previous CFB experience other than UCF. He had been OC at Oklahoma as well as position coaches at other schools. He wasn't as much an unproven coach as it might seem.

Auburn has done some self-reflection on what went wrong with Harsin. The basic theme is that to be successful at Auburn, you HAVE to have previous SEC experience as his Boise Boys simply did not understand the physicality and politics of competing in the conference. He absolutely failed at recruiting ... yes, he got some players, but Harsin has almost no connection to the state or any of the high school programs.

Long story short, I think you have to demonstrate you CAN do the job. Whether that is previous P5 experience as a position coach and head coaching chops at a lesser school, or direct to P5, is debatable.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There’s a size limit on the posts ;)

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There are a lot of coach's people have said they want, just most of them I don't think fit in at Tech. But I'll trust our new AD to make the right pick and even if it's someone I don't want I will back that coach and the players 100%.

This is where I'm at. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason for why some coaches make it and some don't. IOW, none of us can predict success or failure to any high degree.

We need to just take our shirts off, see where the Institute goes. Just enjoy the ride.

It's also why don't get the toxic affinity some folks have for one particular coach ... who I won't name because I don't wanna incur their wrath again.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I posted this in the AppSt v Coastal Thread, but it is more appropriate in this thread.

I don’t see Chadwell being selected. We didn’t spend 3.5/4 years on the biggest transition in the history of college football to go back to a “lite” version of the triple option. And before someone goes into length about how different Chadwell’s offense is from PJ’s, it’s close enough that I don’t see us going in that direction. Just my take.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is where I'm at. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason for why some coaches make it and some don't. IOW, none of us can predict success or failure to any high degree.

We need to just take our shirts off, see where the Institute goes. Just enjoy the ride.

It's also why don't get the toxic affinity some folks have for one particular coach ... who I won't name because I don't wanna incur their wrath again.
Me shirtless is not a good look… Otherwise I’m on board.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in the AppSt v Coastal Thread, but it is more appropriate in this thread.

I don’t see Chadwell being selected. We didn’t spend 3.5/4 years on the biggest transition in the history of college football to go back to a “lite” version of the triple option. And before someone goes into length about how different Chadwell’s offense is from PJ’s, it’s close enough that I don’t see us going in that direction. Just my take.
Fair point… And you may be exactly right.
My counterpoint would be that with the CGC hire, the scorched earth approach to everything the previous staff did was misguided from the start. On some level, animosity and agenda drove us in a bad direction. Our interests were probably better served with a more measured approach. I hope we are going into this process with no preconceived notions or agenda.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The reality is a lot of the coaches who have been talked about are good candidates for different reasons, which makes sense because right now we're pretty much in pure speculation territory and people aren't likely to put forth a candidate that doesn't have at least a strength to make the hire look appealing to those who prioritize certain things. There also is not a perfect hire and we aren't likely to go after, or afford, the absolute best hires so those names aren't being put forth. So everyone comes with a downside that will likewise cause some people to not want them.

Obrien, Chadwell, Sanders would all almost certainly be seen as good hires by most of the football world.

Obrien fills in a lot of the boxes for those that like P5 experience, ties to very successful programs, and personal ties to GT. But he lacks the innovativeness some want, and his head coaching experience, at the college level, is limited. Basically he's a typical power team coordinator that has been getting looked at recently by a lot of places. We wouldn't be hiring him for his xs and os, but rather his ability to run a program.

Chadwell is the classical supper successful at a lower level coach and also appeals to those who like innovative offense that doesn't come with the stigma that was true with Johnson's offense. He also has questions regarding whether he could recruit well enough and whether the staff he'd put together would be as good as we need here.

Sanders is unique. There really isn't a good football equivalent to compare him to. He's a legend both in the black community but also in Atlanta which is an intersection that makes him have the highest recruiting potential we could hire, but has little in the way of coaching experience to lean on. I'd say the closest comparison I'd make is Juwan Howard at Michigan. Basketball has had a couple of closer comparisons, Manning at Wake, and Stackhouse at Vandy, but its relatively new territory for football unless I'm missing someone.

Same for the others that have been talked about but those three seem the most three discussed.

None of the three would be a bad hire in the moment. Any of the 3 could end up being a bad hire in retrospect. Personally, I'd rank it O'Brien, Chadwell, Sanders because I think having experience at the P5 level is important, and O'Brien is also the most likely to put together a higher quality staff. To me, with Chadwell I ask the question of other than offense what are you bringing to the table with him, and if it's primarily his system, why wouldn't we go after one of his OC's instead to be our OC instead. Otherwise I think he is more likely to just bring his staff mostly intact which I'm not sold on being great. Sanders is interesting, and I wouldn't hate the hire, but it's such an experiment that I'd rather pass on at the moment.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I'd rank it O'Brien, Chadwell, Sanders because I think having experience at the P5 level is important, and O'Brien is also the most likely to put together a higher quality staff.

I'm increasingly of the view that it will be none of the above. The main reason being, our new AD probably already knows many of the potential candidates and has a good idea of who he wants and is working with Parker and Jimmy Sexton to see what's possible. You're correct that all the chatter is just ... speculation.

Which brings me to Deion. When Tennessee was looking, there was such a frenzy by the fanbase in hiring John Gruden. His wife is from there and you can spot him all over town and he plans to retire there. EVERYONE was screaming "John's the One" and ... it didn't happen. Deion is not coming to Tech. I just don't the point to work oneself into a frenzy over something that is highly unlikely to ever happen.

I do think we will hire a real coach .. .one experienced in building a program and leading it. Who that is, is what Batt is to figure out.