HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Alabama today is Alabama because Saban told them to F off unless he had 100% control, which he does. He has totally transformed the Bama athletic dept towards one objective and that's winning national championships and being a pipeline to the NFL. Auburn needs some serious soul searching to compete with that. Growing up, it was maybe 60/40? Today, the state is probably 70/30. Outside of Birmingham and Montgomery, Auburn's fanbase dwindles.
Yes. The main thing that a program needs nowadays, imho, is a coach who either wins enough to tell the Big Donors™ to go peddle their potatoes or, like Saban, gets the AD tells them in no uncertain terms to do the same. This is risky if you aren't a Bama, but it needs to be done. I hope Tech hires someone who has the guts to do this first off and not shilly-shally about it. Then it's simple: win or go home.

My favorite of example of failing to do this is the Falcons. The Smiths had an offer from Paul Brown(!!!) to become the coach and GM if they would let him buy a half interest in the team. They said no. I repeat, they said no to the best pro football coach in history. They wanted to run the team themselves; of course, they could do better that way! I don't know how many Super Bowls and NFC championships the Birds would have won by now if the Smiths had accepted, but it would have been substantial and would have happened within a couple of years.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes. The main thing that a program needs nowadays, imho, is a coach who either wins enough to tell the Big Donors™ to go peddle their potatoes or, like Saban, gets the AD tells them in no uncertain terms to do the same. This is risky if you aren't a Bama, but it needs to be done. I hope Tech hires someone who has the guts to do this first off and not shilly-shally about it. Then it's simple: win or go home.

My favorite of example of failing to do this is the Falcons. The Smiths had an offer from Paul Brown(!!!) to become the coach and GM if they would let him buy a half interest in the team. They said no. I repeat, they said no to the best pro football coach in history. They wanted to run the team themselves; of course, they could do better that way! I don't know how many Super Bowls and NFC championships the Birds would have won by now if the Smiths had accepted, but it would have been substantial and would have happened within a couple of years.
The Smiths = The Clampets. Where’s that CEMENT pond anyway!

Deleted member 6494

Is your name really bigbillo'brien? Asking for me
There is another factor. The ratings and positioning of teams in the first six spots is all about money. The networks and ESPN want the most popular teams in the first six to get the highest Ad money for the games. They always favor the SEC and will try to slot the first six from the SEC as is possible.

If LSU were to beat Alabama this Saturday, they would probably be out of the playoffs and Bill O'Brien would be available. This would be a good time for Saban to let O'Brien go; almost any OC can win with Alabama's athletes.

If O'Brien is chosen by GT, it will be a political choice and not a smart choice; it could be a Catholics revenge for the Chan Gailey choice. My first NONchoice would be O'Brien and his past association in the O'Leary to Chan Gailey trials. I think O'Brien would be a disaster for GT.

I have no axe to grind regarding Prime Time; he seems to be a good person and will probably eventually get a P5 head coaching job. However, the risk is extremely high, Tech needs a more established coach even if it is from a lower conference. I think an AD would be foolish to choose him at this time.

My first choice would have been Hugh Freeze, but he is out of the picture with his present 5 million offer to stay at Liberty. Jerry Falwell established Liberty College for the right reasons, and it remained a solid rock until he died, and his son took over. His son put a black cloud over Liberty until the other leaders removed him from the leadership position. My personal opinion is that Hugh Freeze repented of his bad ways while there is probably a different moral person.

My second choice Chadwell of Coastal Carolina; he appears to be solid and has proven he can win. Some say he can only attract 3 type recruits, but this is generally not the case of a good coach coming from a smaller conference. If he were to move up to the ACC, it is my opinion he would have a better opportunity to get better athletes who prefer the bigger conferences as opposed to the smaller conferences. Too many try to use the term Triple Option to smear a candidate, but he is not a true Triple Option coach; he most likely will coach a system in line with his talent.

This is how it generally works for a coach with a good head to analyze strengths and weaknesses. He uses the talent he has on hand to win games at a smaller school and conference. The next higher conference steals him from the lower one, and he still wins and attracts better athletes. Each time he goes to a higher conference, he gets even better athletes until he reaches the P5 conferences and shows he is one of the best coaches in the business because of his keen mind.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do you mean he would take a P5 job for the $$$ to provide for his kids?

my question was meant in response to you noting that P5 programs may not want to commit to his kid as QB. So, after his eligibility is gone, does Deion want to move to P5 if it doesn’t get his kid on the field?

I agree he would go to P5 while his son could play. Just not sure he would leave HBCU when his kid has already moved on from college football

No. I mean he would take a P5 gig so his son could be a P5 QB.

Agree with the last sentence completely.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Wait. Since when is the team record the sole responsibility of the OC? And how is that the only measure that matters, not offensive efficiency metrics (yards per play, points per drive, drive efficiency, 3&O%, RZ Score %, etc.)

Also, how about some context since they were in FCS when Coach Pat was there and they moved to FBS with Chadwell.

Since this really seemed to trigger the Chadwell fan boys, I'll double down on this because it illustrates that G5 and FCS records are meaningless as an indicator of future P5 success.. Paterdude was hopeless and already has been canned by ODU, yet he rang an amazing record because of the amazing work Moglia did. Coastal was a machine that already had a winning culture. Hell they went 6-5 and like 10-2 in their first two football seasons ever in 2003/2004.

For a school with a winning culture, strong backing from the school administration and cash (relative to their peers) going from FCS to G5 is not the jump people are making out to be...especially when there are remedial pet schools with more challenging curriculum than CCU - meaning you can take anyone who fogs glass. Just look at JMU.

If we did not have a history of the option (an offense that allowed me to play at a high level mind you) we would have no interest in the guy.

If BOB is a dull hire, then Chadwell is a stupid one. Will be Geoff 2.0 without the antics. He's going to try to bring his staff full of Paterdudes from Coastal and they will get slober knocked. I am neutral on Deion now, but out on Chadwell and bob. Last point in what turned out to be a bit more of a rant than I hoped...why are we knocking Deion for not having recruited an academically rigorous school when Coastal is not exactly Harvard of South Carolina.

Flame away!!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Since this really seemed to trigger the Chadwell fan boys, I'll double down on this because it illustrates that G5 and FCS records are meaningless as an indicator of future P5 success.. Paterdude was hopeless and already has been canned by ODU, yet he rang an amazing record because of the amazing work Moglia did. Coastal was a machine that already had a winning culture. Hell they went 6-5 and like 10-2 in their first two football seasons ever in 2003/2004.

For a school with a winning culture, strong backing from the school administration and cash (relative to their peers) going from FCS to G5 is not the jump people are making out to be...especially when there are remedial pet schools with more challenging curriculum than CCU - meaning you can take anyone who fogs glass. Just look at JMU.

If we did not have a history of the option (an offense that allowed me to play at a high level mind you) we would have no interest in the guy.

If BOB is a dull hire, then Chadwell is a stupid one. Will be Geoff 2.0 without the antics. He's going to try to bring his staff full of Paterdudes from Coastal and they will get slober knocked. I am neutral on Deion now, but out on Chadwell and bob. Last point in what turned out to be a bit more of a rant than I hoped...why are we knocking Deion for not having recruited an academically rigorous school when Coastal is not exactly Harvard of South Carolina.

Flame away!!
I don’t want Chadwell as number 1 choice. I do think when people make comparisons between coaches, that comparing school records of OCs while one is FBS and one is FCS is wild.

“He's going to try to bring his staff full of Paterdudes from Coastal and they will get slober knocked.”
Are you implying that any coach from G5 that moves to P5 is going to get destroyed? That honestly doesn’t make much sense. At what point does a successful G5 coach get a HC gig in P5?

I’d take BOB or Deion over Chadwell in a heartbeat, but I don’t understand your disdain for a G5 coach with third most wins in FBS the last three years.

JacketFan137

Banned
the option is the opiate of the masses. or something like that

i do think this is the truth. if johnson did not coach here the calls for the option wouldn’t be half as loud

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Think Deion would bring to Tech what we have needed for a long time. He’s been a winner at everything in his life and that’s not going to stop. All the other names being mentioned sound so so. Maybe Chadwell but not sure he can repeat at Tech what he does at Coastal.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I don’t want Chadwell as number 1 choice. I do think when people make comparisons between coaches, that comparing school records of OCs while one is FBS and one is FCS is wild.

“He's going to try to bring his staff full of Paterdudes from Coastal and they will get slober knocked.”
Are you implying that any coach from G5 that moves to P5 is going to get destroyed? That honestly doesn’t make much sense. At what point does a successful G5 coach get a HC gig in P5?

I’d take BOB or Deion over Chadwell in a heartbeat, but I don’t understand your disdain for a G5 coach with third most wins in FBS the last three years.

Take a look at his staff. They're all either high school, FCS or G5 their entire careers. Among his two OCs and the DC - no P5 experience. It's quite rare to be a highly talented G5 coordinator and stay there for a while. Cream rises to the top - especially in coaching.

His staff has not been poached - most of them were with him at Delta State and Charleston Southern. Why has he not had to reload? Is it because they're all willing to put their career on hold out of loyalty...I doubt it. Chadwell is a budget option and that's what got us in this position.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Take a look at his staff. They're all either high school, FCS or G5 their entire careers. Among his two OCs and the DC - no P5 experience. It's quite rare to be a highly talented G5 coordinator and stay there for a while. Cream rises to the top - especially in coaching.

His staff has not been poached - most of them were with him at Delta State and Charleston Southern. Why has he not had to reload? Is it because they're all willing to put their career on hold out of loyalty...I doubt it. Chadwell is a budget option and that's what got us in this position.
Chadwell isn’t my top option but no denying he’s a great coach and I have to think he would upgrade coaches if he jumped to GT. Obviously keep Korn and a lot of the offensive staff but he would probably upgrade the D.

Regardless, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him beat UVA with lesser talent and a budget staff in a few weeks. If he does that, all the people still clamoring for Key should be banned from posting their opinions on HC searches.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

The track record for G5 to P5 success normally looks something like P5 position coach --> P5 Coordinator --> G5 HC with immediate program turnaround --> P5 with 50% still burning out

It's important to have strong connections with proven P5 coordinators and position coaches to build a staff that knows how to succeed at this level. It's a completely different level of competitiveness in terms of recruiting, player development, game planning, adjustments. CPJ struggled to put a good staff underneath him for lack of funding, but also because he didn't have a broad coaching tree to pull from. This limited his success.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
That is my big concern with chadwell as well. I dont want his staff, but he does.
I'll make a point I often made when CPJ was here and people were piling on Sewak. Who else knows his offense well enough to help make adjustments in game? If they're not P5 worthy in other facets, though, what are you going to do? It's a lot easier when you're part of an established coaching tree.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I've seen this said by multiple posters now - can you elaborate on this? The story I remember being pushed was that CPJ didn't talk to many area high school coaches during his tenure, and how it was such a change of pace because Collins was coming in and building those relationships back up. Now that he's gone, people seem to be acting like he was destroying those relationships. Is there some sort of evidence of this?
McGee was a winner on the high school level and turned a program completely around. It has been said many times that high school coaches all around the state really like him and are all wanting him to get a chance to be HC especially now with this job being open. Most Believe he should have gotten the Georgia Southern job when he was interim for their bowl game. He has great relationships within the state with the high school coaches which IMO is huge for recruiting. A lot of these kids go to their coach for advice on where to go. From things I’ve read collins started off rebuilding relationships with high school coaches in the area and then it started to fall off after the results weren’t living up to what he was promising. Like anyone else idk if McGee Is ready to be a HC but if we go with a “gamble” I definitely think he is worth a shot just on his recruiting. He’s recruited a lot of talent to uga including he was the one that recruited Justin fields. He would need to build a strong staff around him similar to what Sam Pittman has done at Arkansas