HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
Mullen was flying up to ESPN to call halftime. I’m not sure how long he was in ATL before flying up though.

Knoxknight

Georgia Tech Fan
Ok, I’m probably going to h*** for this, but

More realistically
  • Bill O’Brien
  • Jamey Chadwell
  • Chip Long
  • Brian Harsin
  • Tyson Helton
Feel free to append spelling corrections and other coaches to the thread

Hey! That's the same list Nebraska's looking at!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
After that debacle last night I'm not sure anyone worth having will want this job. I think the program is in worse shape now than it was when TFFG started.

slugboy

Staff member
For Key, last night hurt his chances of getting the job, and every loss will. Every win should help. We didn’t look good last night, overall.
The timing doesn’t help him. If he’d won last night and again next week, he’d have 4 wins in a row, and the team would be on the edge of going to a bowl in the thick of the interview process.
I don’t want to say next week is a “must win” for Key, but Batt is going to be interviewing other candidates while he’s looking at the trajectory of our team. Key will have to do other things to show that the team is headed in the right direction, and give some evidence that the ceiling for the team could be really high.
His OC stint at UCF wasn’t good, and his problem here is that the offense isn’t good. In so many ways as an AD making a hire, I’d want to see evidence that Key can turn around the offense.
I like Key’s passion, but if he can’t fix the offense then we need someone who can. I know the argument that he can’t snap his fingers and make it happen overnight, but we have two sample seasons to work from, and both offenses are bad.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i agree. in addition to being a pretty bad person with some incredibly divisive politics he is not a good football coach. no need to to take on all that for a coach that might win 6 games. if we are throwing morals out the window we’d better get briles and i’d be pretty pissed at that too
He’s made some speeches recently that would probably make recruiting a freaking nightmare

JacketFan137

Banned
He’s made some speeches recently that would probably make recruiting a freaking nightmare
yeah if we’re selling our soul to the devil they gotta be way better than tuberville. i don’t think he’s a good enough coach to overcome what he has said in the recruiting world and if you think negative recruiting tech is bad now tuberville would probably usher in a whole new era/genre of negative recruiting lol

i think it’s a moot point anyway i think it’s easier money in political grifting and lobbying than spending all day watching film, recruiting and going to practice. no need to go back to the coaching lifestyle

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey, moving the QB debate to its own thread.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

(Just kidding. Thanks.)

JacketFan137

Banned
Deion would be a big boost and a program changer, which we need badly. If not him, next pick would be Chadwell.
i think there’s a lot of old school guys on here and they dislike the idea of bringing in a guy that would be a big buzz in the college football world but i think for a program in our state we need to hire a name that looks like we mean business.

retaining key even prior to last night should have never been looked at as a favorable option. i think it would be pretty hard to sell to recruits that things will be much different.

bring in a new group and give them the money to load out the support staff with quality coaches. no more paying the 9th highest salary in the acc if we are serious about football

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
i think there’s a lot of old school guys on here and they dislike the idea of bringing in a guy that would be a big buzz in the college football world but i think for a program in our state we need to hire a name that looks like we mean business.

retaining key even prior to last night should have never been looked at as a favorable option. i think it would be pretty hard to sell to recruits that things will be much different.

bring in a new group and give them the money to load out the support staff with quality coaches. no more paying the 9th highest salary in the acc if we are serious about football
I'm going to knock on Long after thinking he would be an improvement at OC. So far I have not seen much of any improvement. He was not retained at ND and his last stint at Tulane was not good. Tulane is much better this year with a different OC. Last night was just pathetic. Our backup just doesn't have the ability to avoid the rush long enough to run medium to long pass routes. They stuffed the running game and "new-QB" is not quick on his feet. Where were the quick timing throws over the middle or to the TE. Did Benson play? Don't recall hearing his name. Nothing worked on O last night. Their kicker missed two FG's which kept the score closer than it probably should have been.
Our team is an ugly mess right now. I was leaning toward Key being retained but this staff needs to be replaced and we need to reboot the football program.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm going to knock on Long after thinking he would be an improvement at OC. So far I have not seen much of any improvement. He was not retained at ND and his last stint at Tulane was not good. Tulane is much better this year with a different OC. Last night was just pathetic. Our backup just doesn't have the ability to avoid the rush long enough to run medium to long pass routes. They stuffed the running game and "new-QB" is not quick on his feet. Where were the quick timing throws over the middle or to the TE. Did Benson play? Don't recall hearing his name. Nothing worked on O last night. Their kicker missed two FG's which kept the score closer than it probably should have been.
Our team is an ugly mess right now. I was leaning toward Key being retained but this staff needs to be replaced and we need to reboot the football program.

Here's our stat lines. You can find the game report (& participation report) here.

Stat lineYards/playEPA/playEPASRWPA
Dropbacks
Jeff Sims6/11, 47 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Sck, 43.3 xQBR, 0.06 DETMER3.92-0.77-9.2333%-16.0%
Zach Gibson10/25, 99 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 7 Scks, 37.1 xQBR, 0.00 DETMER3.09-0.60-19.0828%-67.0%
Rush attempts
Jeff Sims2 carries, 6 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)3.000.501.0050%3.0%
Malik Rutherford1 carry, 4 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)4.00-0.06-0.060%0.0%
Dontae Smith9 carries, 33 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)3.67-0.07-0.6433%2.0%
Zach Gibson5 carries, 20 yds, 0 TD, 1 Fum (1 lost)4.00-0.27-1.3360%-6.0%
Hassan Hall12 carries, 47 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)3.92-0.32-3.8025%1.0%
Pass targets
Hassan Hall4 catches (6 targets), 37 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)9.250.150.8967%-1.0%
Malachi Carter4 catches (7 targets), 43 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)10.75-0.03-0.2243%3.0%
Peje' Harris0 catches (2 targets), 0 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)0.00-0.40-0.800%-3.0%
Ryan King0 catches (1 target), 0 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)0.00-0.87-0.870%-4.0%
Leo Blackburn0 catches (2 targets), 0 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)0.00-0.65-1.310%-3.0%
Dylan Leonard1 catch (2 targets), 0 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)0.00-0.72-1.450%-7.0%
Nate McCollum5 catches (10 targets), 62 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)12.40-0.15-1.5350%-7.0%
Malik Rutherford2 catches (3 targets), 4 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)2.00-0.57-1.7033%-3.0%
E.J. Jenkins0 catches (2 targets), 0 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)0.00-1.22-2.440%-5.0%

Benson is not listed.

Pos ## OFFENSE WR 0 Jenkins, EJ QB 10 Sims, Jeff TE 2 Leonard, Dylan RB 3 Hall, Hassan OL 54 Williams, Jordan OL 55 Robinson II, Corey OL 67 Fusile, Joe WR 7 Carter, Malachi OL 71 Quick, Pierce OL 72 Franklin, Weston WR 8 McCollum, Nate

Georgia Tech 1-Blackburn, Leo, 10-McCawley, Taylor, 11-King, Ryan, 11-Harris, Kevin, 12-Rutherford, Malik, 15-Gibson, Zach, 15-Bryant, Sirad, 18-Harvey, Ahmari, 18- Harris, PeJe', 21-Gordon, Daylon, 22-Edwards, Kaleb, 23-Gee, Khari, 24-Johnson, Kenan, 26-Shelley, Rodney, 27-Robinson, Josh, 32-Yondjouen, Sylvain, 33- Meiguez, Tyson, 4-Smith, Dontae, 4-Allen, Derrik, 40-Tatum, Trenilyas, 43-Shanahan, David, 43-Collins, Noah, 46-Freer, Henry, 49-Carroll, Grey, 5-Chimedza, T.K., 52-Long, Cade, 6-McDuffie, Dylan, 60-Vaipulu, Paula, 79-Lay III, William, 85-Ward, Billy, 88-Stewart, Gavin, 88-Biggers, Zeek, 97-Stone, Akelo

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I hate to say it, we're going to have to start over again. Damn, just damn. Long and Weinke have not been impressive at all. I like our defensive coaches, but next week the offense will probably do well and the defense will have a let down. This is not a team, but the story of two units.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Is that list a joke? Tommy Tuberville? First of all he sux balls, 2nd there is no universe in which a sitting US Senator quits to become the coach at GT. Harsin- the guy who is awful at Auburn? Chip Long? WTF?
For Key, last night hurt his chances of getting the job, and every loss will. Every win should help. We didn’t look good last night, overall.
The timing doesn’t help him. If he’d won last night and again next week, he’d have 4 wins in a row, and the team would be on the edge of going to a bowl in the thick of the interview process.
I don’t want to say next week is a “must win” for Key, but Batt is going to be interviewing other candidates while he’s looking at the trajectory of our team. Key will have to do other things to show that the team is headed in the right direction, and give some evidence that the ceiling for the team could be really high.
His OC stint at UCF wasn’t good, and his problem here is that the offense isn’t good. In so many ways as an AD making a hire, I’d want to see evidence that Key can turn around the offense.
I like Key’s passion, but if he can’t fix the offense then we need someone who can. I know the argument that he can’t snap his fingers and make it happen overnight, but we have two sample seasons to work from, and both offenses are bad.
I know this has been best to death but it is nonetheless a fact…our online is terrible and more than likely is that way because they’re young. Is that Keys fault. It’s for me to blame him because they’re yet he’s been recruiting the online for 4 years now.