HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
i think there’s a lot of old school guys on here and they dislike the idea of bringing in a guy that would be a big buzz in the college football world but i think for a program in our state we need to hire a name that looks like we mean business.

retaining key even prior to last night should have never been looked at as a favorable option. i think it would be pretty hard to sell to recruits that things will be much different.

bring in a new group and give them the money to load out the support staff with quality coaches. no more paying the 9th highest salary in the acc if we are serious about football
I think there are a lot of old school guys on here that think maybe bringing on an established HC like CBR/CPJ, might work out better than the last time we tried the "big buzz" hype machine approach. AFLAC prime time may be an example of the latter.

Last edited:

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Fans talk about it but no one else. I don't see Deion kow-towing to the big money cabal and THEY call the shots.
Auburn is also a little butt hurt that Deion didn't jump when his name was floated as a possibility for Auburn. The chatter was just conjecture and rumor (at least up till now).

I think Deion was pretty saavy with the way he dodged all the questions about going to P5. He made it clear that he'll take the call, but it would really need to be what he's looking for otherwise he'll just stay at Jackson State and continue to build his resume (IMO).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think there are a lot of old school guys on here that think maybe bringing on an established HC like CBR/CPJ, might work out better than the last time we tried the "big buzz" hype machine approach. AFLAC prime time may be an example of the latter.
I’m of the mindset that we hire someone who is well versed in duties and requirements of the position we’re hiring. If I’m being sold on his recruiting, branding, former associations, or (fill in the blank), I’m assuming it’s because there is very little coaching acumen to sell. That means I’m hearing an excuse, not “promise.”
I hope that isn’t unique to “old schoolers” at this point... we should all be keenly aware of being fooled again.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
ECU just beat up on UCF. The ECU coach has done a good job with that program which was even worse than where we are. Pretty sure he came from JMU where he had some good teams. ECU has to compete with UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU, and App State for recruits. The academic side there is not the same as some others including GT, but the guy must know what he is doing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m of the mindset that we hire someone who is well versed in duties and requirements of the position we’re hiring. If I’m being sold on his recruiting, branding, former associations, or (fill in the blank), I’m assuming it’s because there is very little coaching acumen to sell. That means I’m hearing an excuse, not “promise.”
I hope that isn’t unique to “old schoolers” at this point... we should all be keenly aware of being fooled again.
So being a good coach / CEO of a program is antithetical to being good at branding and recruiting? Why are these skill sets mutually exclusive?

I get the feeling of having been burned before and we certainly don’t want a used car salesman coming in here. But, is it possible to maybe do a better job this time vetting candidates? I felt like the last time we made a decision it was based on a paucity of good data and represented more of a wish and a prayer than actual analysis. I’m counting on the new AD to do a better job. Admittedly, after the last disaster he may be risk averse and simply go with a safe, plain vanilla choice.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
ECU just beat up on UCF. The ECU coach has done a good job with that program which was even worse than where we are. Pretty sure he came from JMU where he had some good teams. ECU has to compete with UNC, Duke, Wake, NCSU, and App State for recruits. The academic side there is not the same as some others including GT, but the guy must know what he is doing.
We hired a coach from ECU once……

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
For me, if Deion were given an opportunity, I'm not worried about his coaching acumen. I'm comfortable he can coach a football team. He lacks a depth of experience as the HC, but that's different for me.

Speaking for myself, I'd like to see a well organized, non ADD sort that can lead our team as we get better. A serious football coach will produce better results, already has to some degree with IHCBK.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not picking on you but the statement won't cost as much is what is the problem at Tech. Want to win than spend money.
Would we get into a bidding war for Chadwell with so many vacancies opening and the season isn't even over. He may have his choice of jobs.

JacketFan137

Banned
Would we get into a bidding war for Chadwell with so many vacancies opening and the season isn't even over. He may have his choice of jobs.
i’m not sure that he’s as coveted as he is on here for other fanbases. i think nebraska and auburn have much higher expectations than a hypes up g5 coach having both been burned by them with their last hire. i could see auburn looking for a more sec hire

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
if we our wishing for someone who won't come i'll take Luke Fickell.
Better chance of him coming here that Deion. I know I'm repeating myself, but he'll be bringing his son with him to whatever P-5 team he ends up coaching, and he is not going to bring him to a team with as porous an offensive line as ours. No. Way. To all the folks who want Primetime here, I certainly see why you want him, but give it up. It's just not going to happen. Time for Plan B.

JacketFan137

Banned
Better chance of him coming here that Deion. I know I'm repeating myself, but he'll be bringing his son with him to whatever P-5 team he ends up coaching, and he is not going to bring him to a team with as porous an offensive line as ours. No. Way. To all the folks who want Primetime here, I certainly see why you want him, but give it up. It's just not going to happen. Time for Plan B.
i don’t think it’s as big of a stretch as you’re acting. deion can portal away a lot of issues in this squad.

i also think it’s possible better coaching/game planning will cover up our o line deficiencies pretty fast

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
i’m not sure that he’s as coveted as he is on here for other fanbases. i think nebraska and auburn have much higher expectations than a hypes up g5 coach having both been burned by them with their last hire. i could see auburn looking for a more sec hire
I think Auburn might be desperate enough to go after Freeze. Liberty is an interesting situation. They have a big enrollment and money but no prestige. They do join a conference next year so they can play for a championship. The school has had its own scandals at the top so Freeze's history is not so big there. He must have repented. In any event the guy is a pretty good football coach.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Since most of the good coaches are already taken or too expensive, Prime Time or Chadwell seems our two best options. I don’t want a retread or unproven coordinator. The AD needs to do his due diligence which I believe he will. He should have enough connections to make a very good short list. And please don’t make one of the requirements of having to have Tech connections.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i don’t think it’s as big of a stretch as you’re acting. deion can portal away a lot of issues in this squad.

i also think it’s possible better coaching/game planning will cover up our o line deficiencies pretty fast
It wasn’t long ago that people were complaining about what we were trying to do offensively and screaming that there were better ways to play to our strength. Why wasn’t the portal used more productively? Why are we so badly mismanaging our personnel?
The response was that there was nothing we could do offensively to mask our OL issues and the portal is worthless in that regard because lines need to “gel” and we need four years, no five, no wait, maybe 6 years to get it right. We just had to take our lumps and we all knew it would take time.
Now we can scheme around this weakness and plug and play from the portal?
That’s great! I’m psyched!