HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like the idea of Deion being the next coach. Sometimes though coaching at a place you love and where you are loved can be a deterrent. Everyone loved Scott Frost at Nebraska until he started coaching there. Everyone will always love Peyton Manning at UT bc he will never be a coach there. I think Deion would rather remain being adored. Of course there are instances where is worked too a la Kirby

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is my question who are we really showing interest in? I know gtswarm has it all figured out but would like to know who the administration is actually interested in.

Right now it's all fan board talk. The GTAA is busy trying to hire an AD and allowing the search committee to do their jobs. Any chatter you hear regarding HC candidates from "sources" is simply rumor from a more "connected source." They like to talk around their water coolers too.

In all honesty, we really won't start hearing viable rumors until after the AD is hired and we get a sense of what direction they might like to take based on their history (or non-history) as an AD. Some hot names right now might lose enough games between now and then to tarnish the luster of their appeal. There may be a surprise HC candidate that comes out of nowhere as the season progresses.

As of right now, GT is listed as the least desirable of the three HC vacancies in P5 football. It's possible that we will not only be competing with Nebraska and AZ St this November, but Stanford, Auburn and Texas as well, which means me might be down to our 5th or 6th choice.

All this to say, we might as well have some fun chatting it up now before our limited resources most likely disappoint us in late November.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen a lot of coaching searches, back to us lucking out and hiring Bobby Ross (and that was total luck). Paul Johnson was lucky too. O’Leary wasn’t even a search.

We do need to talk with coaches now, or at least their agents, or they’ll be gone by the time we’re hiring.

However, let’s say we hire Deion Sanders, and he’s everything some of us hope he’ll be. 2023 is a lower-tier bowl game, 2024 is an ACC title game, 2025 has GT in the expanded playoffs (assuming it happens then), and in 2026 Deion is the new Falcons coach. After that, are we figuring out our program again, what we are as a program, and trying to find the next Deion?

We haven’t been a smart organization since Homer Rice, and we screwed up the post-national-championship coaching search THEN. I DO want a strategic direction for the AA and an AD that will put that into place and have them hire a coach that will be part of us being a good long-term program.

On the plus side, if Deion is coaching here instead of Auburn, I think he and Saban will be fine splitting AFLAC commercials.

But, as much as I’d like to see us hire my favorite coaching option, I’m more interested in us getting our act together, getting our program straightened out, and getting a coach that moves us forward with having a program that works.

I’d like us to get past short-term thinking and into long-term thinking that we can flex as the NCAA and college athletics shift over the next decade.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
at this point this argument has been made a dozen times over in this same thread so there’s no point in rehashing.

at the end of the day even the coaches you mention as “those kind of dudes” have plenty of major question marks to accompany them too so acting like deion is so far behind is kinda foolish at this point.

and we are definitely in for deion in some capacity. obviously interviews and negotiations need to be had but i have a very hard time imagining there not being some consideration on both ends
I know but we‘re fans, it’s what we do, and the season for us is probably lost so this is all we have

The question marks are different for each of the candidates. Foolishness is defined by glossing over the risks associated with hiring a celebrity/personality over a proven coach. Deion is the least proven and experienced coach of any of them period.

JacketFan137

Banned
I know but we‘re fans, it’s what we do, and the season for us is probably lost so this is all we have

The question marks are different for each of the candidates. Foolishness is defined by glossing over the risks associated with hiring a celebrity/personality over a proven coach. Deion is the least proven and experienced coach of any of them period.
the second someone calls deion a celebrity hire is the second the discussion ends. that’s lazy and frankly disrespectful to what he’s done so far as a coach

the other thing we have to consider: this will be it for our shot at hiring deion or mcgee. if we do not get them now they are 100% getting picked up by someone else and likely ascending way past the point of us being in play.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
This would be a 180 degree turn from what Cabrera and Neville just said about hiring an AD and letting that person make the final decision.

There's a dysfunctional feeling of inmates running the prison going on.
It’s not, the boosters and school always keep a list of coaches they are interested in, that way anytime something goes south, they aren’t scrambling looking for candidates. They are just feeling each other out, that way if there wasn’t any interest then the new AD wouldn’t waste any time with Deion.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IMO we have several intriguing options that are somewhat realistic, in no particular order:

1. Coach Prime. This is the "splash" hire. This immediately elevates our cool factor in college football, and could well lead to a sizable bump in recruiting. I have heard that GT will be committing to spend on this staff, so the money, barring Auburn offering him 7-8 mil a year, should be there to be competitive if we go this route. This would also help with the NIL shortcomings, because people WANT to be associated with anything to do with Deion. Obviously we would have to outbid a likely SEC suitor to win his services, but he has reportedly shown some interest in us.

2. Coach Chadwell. This is, IMO, the "safe" hire. A new AD can hire a young up and coming hot shot that runs a "system" approach that checks the boxes for all sides of the fan base. There is a feeling that he will be a coach somewhere else next year, so GT snagging him would be seen as a coup. Would likely have to hire some proven recruiters for his staff but would also likely open up additional Asst Coach funds since he wouldn't command the salary of a Coach Prime or proven P5 coaches.

3. Coach Monken (uga, not Army) This is, IMO, the "home run" hire. Poaching the uga OC would not only be an upgrade at the HC position, but it would be a wet newspaper to the nose of every mutt in this state. So much win on every level here. Proven recruiting, proven winning, with a walk-on QB no less, and the joy of watching every dwag in the state turning on one of their own.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
A red flag for me would be if the new AD comes in and forms a ‘search’ committee. As someone mentioned, we didn’t need committees for Ross, or O’leary, or even Johnson. UGA had their eyes on Kirby for years. Dabo was already on staff at Clemson. Bama went after Saban without a search. Etc etc etc. A good AD will know who and what are going to work and shouldn’t need the head of the Physics department to rubber stamp the decision.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Jumping in here after 46 pages...

Has our Coach PJ Fleck shown up on any GT lists? I wouldn't think so but just wondering in case we need to be worried...:)

I admit too lazy to do any scrolling or hit the search function...

Good luck on the HC hire and the remaining 8 games. BillD.
Not yet, but that's a great idea. I will forward this suggestion to the appropriate people. 🤣

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
IMO we have several intriguing options that are somewhat realistic, in no particular order:

1. Coach Prime. This is the "splash" hire. This immediately elevates our cool factor in college football, and could well lead to a sizable bump in recruiting. I have heard that GT will be committing to spend on this staff, so the money, barring Auburn offering him 7-8 mil a year, should be there to be competitive if we go this route. This would also help with the NIL shortcomings, because people WANT to be associated with anything to do with Deion. Obviously we would have to outbid a likely SEC suitor to win his services, but he has reportedly shown some interest in us.

2. Coach Chadwell. This is, IMO, the "safe" hire. A new AD can hire a young up and coming hot shot that runs a "system" approach that checks the boxes for all sides of the fan base. There is a feeling that he will be a coach somewhere else next year, so GT snagging him would be seen as a coup. Would likely have to hire some proven recruiters for his staff but would also likely open up additional Asst Coach funds since he wouldn't command the salary of a Coach Prime or proven P5 coaches.

3. Coach Monken (uga, not Army) This is, IMO, the "home run" hire. Poaching the uga OC would not only be an upgrade at the HC position, but it would be a wet newspaper to the nose of every mutt in this state. So much win on every level here. Proven recruiting, proven winning, with a walk-on QB no less, and the joy of watching every dwag in the state turning on one of their own.
I agree Deion as a splash hire
Safe hire for me would be Bill O'Brien
Home Run would be Dan Mullen

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the affinity for T. Monken over McGee. Being a coordinator is not a prerequisite for being an HC. I'd argue McGee's tenure as an uber-successful HS HC that resurrected a program is far more qualifying than Monken's success as a CFB OC. Most people don't understand how much of a challenge HS coaching is, especially in big time southeast football.

As far as McGee vs. TC, that's just homerism coming out, guys. I loved TC. But McGee is far more proven as an HC possibility, most notably for the aforementioned HS HC experience.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

Wrt Monken, from what I've head the pups are more worried about someone taking McGee than Monken. Not sure if it's true, but stealing coaches from the pups (who have not proven that they can reload coaches like Bama) does have a major appeal

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure who the best coach would be, so I'm hoping they don't call to ask me to be on the Search Committee.

From my perspective:
1) Coach Sanders - The no middle ground hire. To the moon or unplanned explosive deconstruction. I don't see this as a middle-ground outcome.

2) Coach Chadwell - High confidence it will be average to above average, with an outside chance at superb until he is poached.

3) Coach Monken - It would certainly be hilarious for a few weeks at least. No idea if he is the right person for the job.

That being said, after looking at the coaches and assuming they all get us back to a competitive level (8 - 9 wins per year, with occasional pops to 10+), then I like the Chadwell route the best, mainly because I like watching that offense. That's purely from my personal enjoyment of watching the team assuming all else is equal. Of course, things never are equal, but who really knows in which ways they will be unequal.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
A red flag for me would be if the new AD comes in and forms a ‘search’ committee. As someone mentioned, we didn’t need committees for Ross, or O’leary, or even Johnson. UGA had their eyes on Kirby for years. Dabo was already on staff at Clemson. Bama went after Saban without a search. Etc etc etc. A good AD will know who and what are going to work and shouldn’t need the head of the Physics department to rubber stamp the decision.
One Rich Rodriguez would be to differ. He and Bama had agreed to terms, but nothing signed, before he ultimately decided to stay at Michigan. Dabo went 4-2 beating the arch rival before losing in the Gator Bowl. And still Lane Kiffen and Bud Foster were interviewed and considered for the job.
Believe what you want to believe, but since atleast 2005, most (I'll give you Smart, but only since every mutt fan was cuddling his picture at night waiting for Richt to be fired) hires have been from the recommendation of a search committee.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
the second someone calls deion a celebrity hire is the second the discussion ends. that’s lazy and frankly disrespectful to what he’s done so far as a coach

the other thing we have to consider: this will be it for our shot at hiring deion or mcgee. if we do not get them now they are 100% getting picked up by someone else and likely ascending way past the point of us being in play.
1. He literally is a celebrity.

2. He has accomplished nothing significant yet as a coach.

JacketFan137

Banned
1. He literally is a celebrity.

2. He has accomplished nothing significant yet as a coach.
they won their conference last year, pulled the highest recruit and recruiting class ever for an hbcu, and are currently 4-0 and that includes some huge wins by massive score lines.

you’re allowed to say you don’t want to hire him but at least back up your claims with things somewhat based in reality

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
they won their conference last year, pulled the highest recruit and recruiting class ever for an hbcu, and are currently 4-0 and that includes some huge wins by massive score lines.

you’re allowed to say you don’t want to hire him but at least back up your claims with things somewhat based in reality
I know you're a huge fan, but I think you've got to admit that part of what you are getting with Coach Sanders is celebrity status. Does that make him a 'celebrity hire.' That's a semantics debate but objectively yes, if you assume that it is not a statement about his ability as a coach just his status as a celebrity.

Sanders makes me nervous. I've been hoodwinked once by a used car salesman turned coach. How do we know that this will be any different? His association with Prime Academy suggests that, at best, he is a poor judge of character when it comes to picking business associates. Do we think that it will be different as a coach? Who knows, but you can't just dismiss that as a non-concern because you happen to like the cut of his jibe.

I have zero idea if he is a good coach or not. We only have a couple of years of data, and while two points make a line they do not make a trend. I'm not against the guy as a coach, but I would be super nervous we were getting CGC writ larger.