HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
I mean, it worked out for Clemson...
I don’t think he makes very strong points regarding McGee. It’s pretty much just about recruiting. His comment about Georgia not being an elite recruiting school before Kirby/McGee got there is nonsense.

From 2007-2016 (Richt’s last 10 recruiting classes) UGA was outside the top 10 in recruiting just 3 times. They were 15th in 2010 after a miserable 2009 season for them. And they were 12th in 2012 and 2013. That is elite. They were in the top 15 (11th percentile) every year, and the top 10 (7th percentile) in 7/10 of those years.

Georgia began recruiting in the top 5 every year when Kirby came in and they began outspending everybody in recruiting. They’re outspending the likes of Alabama and Clemson by $1M+, and other top tier schools like Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Michigan, etc. by upwards of $2-3M. Sometimes double their entire recruiting budget!! Sure you need to be a good recruiter to finish the deal on guys and get them to signing day, but it makes your job waaayyy easier when you’re spending (a lot) more than the entire country.

Do we really want to go down the, “well let’s hope he out-recruits all of our competition again” route? I’m sure McGee is much better recruiter than Collins, but that’s a risky path to go down. Will McGee be able to bring in anywhere near the caliber of player to GT as he does to UGA? That’s highly doubtful.

If you’re going to go with the unproven coach, good recruiter archetype, it has to be Deion IMO. Deion is an even better recruiter than McGee, and comes with a bigger following and a bigger brand.
I know. UGA going from elite to the best is not not being elite.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind with Deion, we could probably get a fantastic staff alongside him. He’s not in it for the money, and the administration is committed to spending more money in general. There’s a lot of potential there if played right.

I would also love McGee tho
They are ALL in it for the money, and as much as they can get. This almost cult-like love of and faith in Deion on here is pretty unbelievable.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This would be a 180 degree turn from what Cabrera and Neville just said about hiring an AD and letting that person make the final decision.

There's a dysfunctional feeling of inmates running the prison going on.
who knows if these rumors are true though?

JacketFan137

Banned
They are ALL in it for the money, and as much as they can get. This almost cult-like love of and faith in Deion on here is pretty unbelievable.
deion has won at basically everything he’s done, he has a perennial underdog punching way above their weight and would be the first coach hired by tech probably in decades to have genuine respect from the national media. it would immediately signal that we are taking a serious stab at being a major college football team and for once we’d be getting the guy everyone wants.

it makes a lot of sense why people here want deion

JacketFan137

Banned
This would be a 180 degree turn from what Cabrera and Neville just said about hiring an AD and letting that person make the final decision.

There's a dysfunctional feeling of inmates running the prison going on.
would you be saying this if it was one of YOUR guys that was being rumored? probably not lol

slugboy

Staff member
Deion is definitely the hot name. However, there are a lot of Hall of Fame players who flamed out as coaches.

He’s recruited amazingly well to a SWAC team. That’s a plus.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him recruit top 25, even top 20 classes here. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them more in the range of 20-30, because the difference between a top 10 and a top 20 class is huge.

He may be a good developmental coach and well organized. I don’t know. SWAC is not our level of competition. Even good things from that level may not translate to P5.

My knowledge of Deion Sanders is a Hall of Fame cornerback. I don’t know him as a coach, and I don’t know how good he is as a coach.

I’d ignore his life as a defensive back, and just evaluate him as a coach. That’s harder to do.

JacketFan137

Banned
Deion is definitely the hot name. However, there are a lot of Hall of Fame players who flamed out as coaches.

He’s recruited amazingly well to a SWAC team. That’s a plus.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him recruit top 25, even top 20 classes here. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them more in the range of 20-30, because the difference between a top 10 and a top 20 class is huge.

He may be a good developmental coach and well organized. I don’t know. SWAC is not our level of competition. Even good things from that level may not translate to P5.

My knowledge of Deion Sanders is a Hall of Fame cornerback. I don’t know him as a coach, and I don’t know how good he is as a coach.

I’d ignore his life as a defensive back, and just evaluate him as a coach. That’s harder to do.
unfortunately every coach we are remotely interested in has some serious question marks and there’s never guarantees. scott frost was such a clear and obvious target for nebraska and if you asked when he got hired 9/10 people would have said that he was a smash hire and that they were gonna be competitive soon and nebraska was back. hiring a good coach is not easy and that’s why the carousel is so crazy every season

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dieon is likely selling a potential path to pro football without worrying too much about academics. GT sells academics as part of the recruitment package. There is a place for both.

JacketFan137

Banned
Dieon is likely selling a potential path to pro football without worrying too much about academics. GT sells academics as part of the recruitment package. There is a place for both.
idk if you listen to him talk he is very serious about education and carrying yourself like a professional

here is a clip of him outlining expectations for the classroom

now is it window dressing for a nice sound bite to sell the program? possibly, but at least he seems to care about something

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Deion is interested, the donors are interested, the school is interested. 3/3 are interested in Prime Time becoming the official time zone of Atlanta.
Are they showing more interest in Deion than any of the other candidates at this point?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What offense is Deion running right now? Air Raid? If so, that would check one of the boxes I'd like to see - that is, running some form of offense that is different than what everyone else is doing. I admittedly haven't spent time trying to find and watch film, but I read an article about his OC working under Leach and then at Nevada. The quote I read from Deion said something along the lines of, "We're going to score a lot of points by making the defense do things they don't like to do." That peaked my interest a bit more.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I see a lot of talk about McGee.

If we hire anyone from uga not named Monken we are doing it wrong...
Agreed, he is a huge unknown as far as his HC abilities go, and besides We have a Tech man just like McGee named Tashard Choice, why go anywhere else if hiring a rb coach is the play?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What makes Deion intriguing is he is a brand all by himself. Collins spoke of branding GT, but was never successful at giving us an identity. If Deion is hired, his brand becomes the GT brand and we immediately elevate our recruiting profile. Now, does that mean we will all of a sudden be top 10-15 in recruiting? No, but jumping into the top 20 would be very possible. A LOT of younger guys would want to be part of what he is doing. Deion doesn't have to be a great coach, he just has to be a good coach and have solid assistants. If the recruits buy into what he is selling, he is going to be very successful at the P5 level IMO.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
deion has won at basically everything he’s done, he has a perennial underdog punching way above their weight and would be the first coach hired by tech probably in decades to have genuine respect from the national media. it would immediately signal that we are taking a serious stab at being a major college football team and for once we’d be getting the guy everyone wants.

it makes a lot of sense why people here want deion
What he’s done as an athlete, and his very very short time coaching highschool and SWAC means nothing at P5. He might be hugely successful at the next level, but we can’t afford that massive risk. He’s a Dabo, a better version of GC even, that works at Clemson and places that have the money to backfill a lack of coaching knowledge with million dollar coordinators and support staff and bigtime recruiting/NIL money- we do not have that. We have succeeded in the past with X’s & O’s smart coaches who can coach and scheme our talent into wins. O’Brien, Chadwell, Monken, etc are those kind of dudes. Deion needs to move up to big-boy fb and prove himself before he gets a P5 HC job. Why do you even think we are in play with Deion? Think about it. All that being said, if we hire him then i’m all in....

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
idk if you listen to him talk he is very serious about education and carrying yourself like a professional

here is a clip of him outlining expectations for the classroom

now is it window dressing for a nice sound bite to sell the program? possibly, but at least he seems to care about something
Ready your eye-rolls gang, I'm going to say it!

Does this mean we go from Tight Pants McGee to Pajama Bottoms Billy? Wow, the slippers with the socks and sweats. He might be a great recruiter and an awesome coach, but holy game-hen man, you are over 50 years old! ;)

JacketFan137

Banned
What he’s done as an athlete, and his very very short time coaching highschool and SWAC means nothing at P5. He might be hugely successful at the next level, but we can’t afford that massive risk. He’s a Dabo, a better version of GC even, that works at Clemson and places that have the money to backfill a lack of coaching knowledge with million dollar coordinators and support staff and bigtime recruiting/NIL money- we do not have that. We have succeeded in the past with X’s & O’s smart coaches who can coach and scheme our talent into wins. O’Brien, Chadwell, Monken, etc are those kind of dudes. Deion needs to move up to big-boy fb and prove himself before he gets a P5 HC job. Why do you even think we are in play with Deion? Think about it. All that being said, if we hire him then i’m all in....
at this point this argument has been made a dozen times over in this same thread so there’s no point in rehashing.

at the end of the day even the coaches you mention as “those kind of dudes” have plenty of major question marks to accompany them too so acting like deion is so far behind is kinda foolish at this point.

and we are definitely in for deion in some capacity. obviously interviews and negotiations need to be had but i have a very hard time imagining there not being some consideration on both ends