HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A

Any chance we can Hire mike leach??

michael cohen GIF

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Um... It's already been announced that a search committee has already been asked to curate candidates for the future AD.
We’ll see how it comes together. Right now we don’t have an AD, so the search committee is just building a list. My point was more that any AD worth his/her salt is not going to be bound by an existing seach committee.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We’ll see how it comes together. Right now we don’t have an AD, so the search committee is just building a list. My point was more that any AD worth his/her salt is not going to be bound by an existing seach committee.

True, but a search committee just does some pre-hire vetting. They generally just make suggestions. The final decision was always going to be in the hands of the AD.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
During the AD interview process, wouldn’t the interviewers ask—We have a list of 5 potential head coaches. What do you think of this list?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
the “celebrity hire” talk would hold merit if it lined up AT ALL with what he is actually doing at jackson state. i think if that was what he was after there would be significantly easier and less time consuming ways to grow as a celebrity than coaching a completely unknown football program for less than he could be making on tv as an analyst.

he has said and done the right things the whole way, and the positives are right there to see.

his question marks are no different than most of the other guys that are being suggested

The celebrity talk holds merit because he is not being mentioned because what he has done at Jackson State.

If he wasn't a pro sports legend in atlanta he wouldn't be mentioned. Not because what he has done is bad, but because what he has done just doesn't show enough. He's had about 2 and a third years coaching in college total. None as an assistant or coordinator, and none at the FBS level. If it wasn't for his fame, he'd be getting looks from mid majors but he wouldn't be considered for a P5 job YET. Look at Willie Simmons. If we're going strictly by coaching records, Simmons has accomplished more. Took an FAMU team that had something like a 5 or 6 year streak of losing records and had back to back 9 win seasons, 7-1 in conference. He also has several years of experience as an assistant. Is he getting any mentions? I haven't seen any. Nor would I expect to. Not because he isn't a good coach. By all accounts he is. But because the normal expectation would be going to a G5 school.

Sanders is being talked about because of his celebrity status. He may very well be a good coach on top of that, and maybe it is a point that makes it worth jumping the normal process, but his resume is not what is going to get him the GT job if he does get it this year.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m back from vacation… what a difference one week does towards my outlook for the program!

I’m personally in favor of Deion as I believe he has the highest ceiling of the candidates being discussed. But given uncertainty of his abilities translating to success here, he does have a lower floor than others.

As Matt Damon says, “You can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win much either.”

JacketFan137

Banned
I’m back from vacation… what a difference one week does towards my outlook for the program!

I’m personally in favor of Deion as I believe he has the highest ceiling of the candidates being discussed. But given uncertainty of his abilities translating to success here, he does have a lower floor than others.

As Matt Damon says, “You can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win much either.”
“scared money don’t make money” - gamblers that are either very up, or very down lol

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Sanders is a very intrigiung candidate. Personality, promoter, name brand, no doubt. I have not had the chance to actually see and hear what his postgame conferences might be like, when he is HC, not "Neon Deion". Like the disaster we have endured lately, we do not need a HC who is "a mile wide and an inch deep". As an old fart, my instinct is to go with experience. My friend ( a PSU fan) saiys BOB was amazing, under those difficult circumstances. Is he "boring" like CPJ was "boring" ? Probably. Has he been perfect in the Pro's - mostly , but not entirely. Does he know Tech? He should , he spent 8 years there. He worked under GOL and Belicheck for long stretches....nobody's fools , those two.
I would rather make a solid hire , than just be chasing the shiny object in the room. My 2 cents.

JacketFan137

Banned
What if McGee has seen how successful offenses like Willie Fritz can be while he was in Statesboro? Developed an NFL running back there too (Breida). I think McGee brings a lot to the table.
i doubt he would come to a school and run the option like that. the major appeal to him is that mcgee is a great recruiter. the option and similar offenses would do nothing for him but hold that back

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
Wouldn’t surprise me if Mullen retired from being a HC unless he gets a godfather type offer. Seemed totally disinterested at Florida and I don’t have the source but I’m pretty sure he didn’t care about recruiting at all. I like him as an X and O guy but not a recruiter. Almost the opposite of Sanders.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Three things that give me BIG concerns about Deion at GT:

1. History at Prime Prep Academy. Look it up. IMO, I don't see how the Hill and Cabrera overlook this. This is like falling in love with a Porsche but not realizing there's a Volkswagon engine under the hood.

2. Deion made a flight to Auburn last week DURING the season to talk about the Auburn job. At the least this is bad optics and unprofessional. At worst it shows a flaw in judgement. If Deion does well here, are you OK with him flying to Texas A&M or FSU during the middle of game week to talk to them about a job?

3. We are clearly trying to gloss over his inexperience, and putting way too much on the "Splash" factor. I hear way too much about how "we'll get a lot of media attention" or "recruits would definitely consider GT" about Deion, and pretty much NOTHING about how his schemes at JSU are schooling bigger teams to wins. This concerns me because "splash" goes away...and if you don't win once it's time to kick the ball off, that splash goes away and you become...another Collins (although Deion is less annoying and way less cheesy than Geoff Collins). I mentioned previously, if you bring in Deion, you better have a BIG budget for a really good OC and DC (around $3-4 million total). GT isn't out-athleteing anyone in the ACC outside of maybe Duke...and even that's debateable at this point. Splash isn't going to win on the field where tactics, player development, and game management matter most.