HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketFan137

Banned
He’s not a home run hire but he’s pretty damn close. Look at his resume, record and the bowls he’s gone to and won. Dan has won a lot at 2 programs in the SEC, neat uga, won the sec East, had MSU #1 for a few weeks. Mullen coaches winning football programs.
i’m just a little hesitant cause a lot of the complaints at the end of his time in florida were pretty similar to what we were seeing with collins. questionable discipline, playing some of the wrong guys. i also think he’s a name that won’t excite the fanbase enough.

we would be in a better spot than we have been but chadwell and deion are much more appealing

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
they won their conference last year, pulled the highest recruit and recruiting class ever for an hbcu, and are currently 4-0 and that includes some huge wins by massive score lines.

you’re allowed to say you don’t want to hire him but at least back up your claims with things somewhat based in reality
Accomplishments at that level mean next to nothing, he is a glorified highschool coach, winning on talent that his celebrity name brings in. Beating the crap out of other HBC schools by outtalenting them is not a model that can be reproduced at GT vs. our ACC and SEC rivals.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He’s not a home run hire but he’s pretty damn close. Look at his resume, record and the bowls he’s gone to and won. Dan has won a lot at 2 programs in the SEC, neat uga, won the sec East, had MSU #1 for a few weeks. Mullen coaches winning football programs.
You have to wonder why he’s still sitting at home?

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
what about dan mullen is a home run?
He's won at a high level at Miss. St. at a place where it's difficult to recruit.
He develops Quarterbacks and a great QB can fill in a lot of other holes.
His offenses are highly successful.
His buyout from UF would allow GT to potentially get him at a lower salary.

JacketFan137

Banned
I know you're a huge fan, but I think you've got to admit that part of what you are getting with Coach Sanders is celebrity status. Does that make him a 'celebrity hire.' That's a semantics debate but objectively yes, if you assume that it is not a statement about his ability as a coach just his status as a celebrity.

Sanders makes me nervous. I've been hoodwinked once by a used car salesman turned coach. How do we know that this will be any different? His association with Prime Academy suggests that, at best, he is a poor judge of character when it comes to picking business associates. Do we think that it will be different as a coach? Who knows, but you can't just dismiss that as a non-concern because you happen to like the cut of his jibe.

I have zero idea if he is a good coach or not. We only have a couple of years of data, and while two points make a line they do not make a trend. I'm not against the guy as a coach, but I would be super nervous we were getting CGC writ larger.
the “celebrity hire” talk would hold merit if it lined up AT ALL with what he is actually doing at jackson state. i think if that was what he was after there would be significantly easier and less time consuming ways to grow as a celebrity than coaching a completely unknown football program for less than he could be making on tv as an analyst.

he has said and done the right things the whole way, and the positives are right there to see.

his question marks are no different than most of the other guys that are being suggested

JacketFan137

Banned
Accomplishments at that level mean next to nothing, he is a glorified highschool coach, winning on talent that his celebrity name brings in. Beating the crap out of other HBC schools by outtalenting them is not a model that can be reproduced at GT vs. our ACC and SEC rivals.
saying next to nothing is just disrespectful and obtuse for no reason. again, just say you think there are better candidates if you don’t want him.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
saying next to nothing is just disrespectful and obtuse for no reason. again, just say you think there are better candidates if you don’t want him.
I truly don’t have anything against Deion or what he‘s done there, I just don’t want him as our coach. 2 years of accomplishments in a tiny league with superior athletes to your competition’s is not moving the needle for me, i’m sorry. I do think there are better, and safer candidates absolutely. We can stop arguing now.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I’ve heard the name Thomas Brown mentioned as a candidate. Current Rams tight end and assistant head coach.

JacketFan137

Banned
I truly don’t have anything against Deion or what he‘s done there, I just don’t want him as our coach. 2 years of accomplishments in a tiny league with superior athletes to your competition’s is not moving the needle for me, i’m sorry. I do think there are better, and safer candidates absolutely. We can stop arguing now.
god forbid someone does their job and recruits well enough to gain that advantage. would be a shame if a coach was doing his job so well that it became easy 😂🤷‍♂️

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A red flag for me would be if the new AD comes in and forms a ‘search’ committee. As someone mentioned, we didn’t need committees for Ross, or O’leary, or even Johnson. UGA had their eyes on Kirby for years. Dabo was already on staff at Clemson. Bama went after Saban without a search. Etc etc etc. A good AD will know who and what are going to work and shouldn’t need the head of the Physics department to rubber stamp the decision.

Um... It's already been announced that a search committee has already been asked to curate candidates for the future AD.