HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Big time recruiter, loved by the HS coaching community, no non sense coach, him being African American. Could bring some pretty good coaches with him cause he's so well liked.
Those are some pluses, but where is the actual coaching ability and acumen? Maybe he has it, but no one is talking about that…they are talking about recruiting and how much people like him for various reasons. I could maybe be on board if we knew who the coordinators were going to be, but to hire on the reasons above listed alone is risky, and kind of what led us to Geoff Collins

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
The program needs a guy who can develop the roster/program and recruit at the same time. McGee provides both of those. I’ve heard a lot of people around the industry believe Dell McGee can provide that. It’s truly believed Dell can fix this program and build it up. What he’s done with his running back room, having great backs every year and then recruiting the other positions on the team truly has been special. Dell is the type of guy you want leading a program.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, I think my top two have to be Chadwell and McGee. I worry that we'll be fighting mostly with Auburn, so it will be a good idea to have 2-3 good to great candidates going into this.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The program needs a guy who can develop the roster/program and recruit at the same time. McGee provides both of those. I’ve heard a lot of people around the industry believe Dell McGee can provide that. It’s truly believed Dell can fix this program and build it up. What he’s done with his running back room, having great backs every year and then recruiting the other positions on the team truly has been special. Dell is the type of guy you want leading a program.
With regard to the bolded, but uga has had good/great running backs for years well before he got there. Kinda hard to judge how good someone is when there is almost always good players there. Kinda like Key and the OL at alabama.

Not saying this is the case or he would be a bad coach at all. I’d welcome him as the HC if he’s hired. Just something to think about.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
With regard to the bolded, but uga has had good/great running backs for years well before he got there. Kinda hard to judge how good someone is when there is almost always good players there. Kinda like Key and the OL at alabama.

Not saying this is the case or he would be a bad coach at all. I’d welcome him as the HC if he’s hired. Just something to think about.
Off the top of my head, he’s put Chubb, Swift, Michel, and White into the league and all were top 4 round draft picks.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like he deflects, which may mean there is something going on....?
Just normal in season coach speak. Wants to focus on his kids at JSU and not create any drama. You see a lot of coaches give a more *** hole answer then he did. He sounded very grateful to be a HBCU coach being mentioned for big name jobs.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Off the top of my head, he’s put Chubb, Swift, Michel, and White into the league and all were top 4 round draft picks.
Correct me if I’m wrong. But those were some can’t miss prospects.

That’s my biggest concern with coaches from these factories. You can develop the elite talent. But can you identify the hidden talent and develop that? You have to if you want to be successful at tech.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

You have been steaadfast in your support of this guy. However, he is a virtual unknown to the GT fanbase (myself included). Why would we involve the president of the school to hire a gy that is anonymous? This hire will cause most to take the "wait and see" approach in terms of buying tickets/ giving donations/etc. He MAY be a great HC one day. BUt it seems like a bad move for GT given where we are at the moment. I will hard pass on this guy. We stretched before...let's not do that all over again.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think top 4 for me is

Chadwell
Leipold
Deion
BOB

but there are probably 5 or 6 other coaches I would be happy with as well.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
You have been steaadfast in your support of this guy. However, he is a virtual unknown to the GT fanbase (myself included). Why would we involve the president of the school to hire a gy that is anonymous? This hire will cause most to take the "wait and see" approach in terms of buying tickets/ giving donations/etc. He MAY be a great HC one day. BUt it seems like a bad move for GT given where we are at the moment. I will hard pass on this guy. We stretched before...let's not do that all over again.
From what I’ve heard about Dell, that’s the reasoning for my support of him. I keep hearing the school side of tech will be helping about immensely with the athletics side from now on. That would bring a ton of money to the football program. You wouldn’t have to worry about a potential cheap staff like we did with Collins, you’re going to get a very good staff with whoever is hired. That’s why Dell is making more and more sense, tech can now afford to put a great staff around him to help out with him never being a Coordinator or HC.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
From what I’ve heard about Dell, that’s the reasoning for my support of him. I keep hearing the school side of tech will be helping about immensely with the athletics side from now on. That would bring a ton of money to the football program. You wouldn’t have to worry about a potential cheap staff like we did with Collins, you’re going to get a very good staff with whoever is hired. That’s why Dell is making more and more sense, tech can now afford to put a great staff around him to help out with him never being a Coordinator or HC.

But IF the school has decided to get into the game that everyone else is playing, why roll the dice? This guy is unknown (not that he is a bad guy) but to trot out someone to the fan base that literally 6 of us have heard of before is absurd. Would this guy get hired from his current position at ANY school that is serious about football? this answer is clearly no. He needs to step up to a P5 coordinator position first OR go get a HC job at James Madison or Buffalo or Akron. Then we can talk about him for the Tech job.