HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
But IF the school has decided to get into the game that everyone else is playing, why roll the dice? This guy is unknown (not that he is a bad guy) but to trot out someone to the fan base that literally 6 of us have heard of before is absurd. Would this guy get hired from his current position at ANY school that is serious about football? this answer is clearly no. He needs to step up to a P5 coordinator position first OR go get a HC job at James Madison or Buffalo or Akron. Then we can talk about him for the Tech job.
Auburn likes him a lot, he’s going to get a P5 head coaching job within the next 2 years most likely. You would be grabbing him up before SEC schools can.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
From what I’ve heard about Dell, that’s the reasoning for my support of him. I keep hearing the school side of tech will be helping about immensely with the athletics side from now on. That would bring a ton of money to the football program. You wouldn’t have to worry about a potential cheap staff like we did with Collins, you’re going to get a very good staff with whoever is hired. That’s why Dell is making more and more sense, tech can now afford to put a great staff around him to help out with him never being a Coordinator or HC.
If his interest is legit, I’d love to hear what kind of staff he would put together. He seems to be well connected and liked by players and coaches. Chadwell seems loyal to his guys and will most likely want to bring them. No clue what Deion would bring to the table. Whoever we hire needs to ensure we keep Watson on board in a recruiting/development/pro liaison.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry, but if we are going to go after some random position coach, my preference would be Tashard Choice over whoever this uga coach is. We know Choice is a good recruiter and he has also developed rbs. At least with Choice I know what passion and fire he will bring.

Mind you, I wouldn’t pick either of them if it were up to me.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah, but to attribute that to him is a stretch. They’ve been putting running backs into the league long before he got there and will be doing it long after he leaves.
Compare to similarly rated players.

Top 10 2018 RB: Zamir White, Lorenzo Lingard, Ricky Slade, Jaelen Gill, James Cook, Brian Snead, TJ Pledger, Ricky Person, Harold Joiner and Keontay Ingram. Only two of those sniffed the NFL and Dell coached both of them.

Top 10 2017 RB: Najee Harris, Cam Akers, Stephen Carr, Khalan Laborn, D'Andre Swift, JK Dobbins, Ty Chandler, Anthony McFarland, Eno Benjamin, and ZaQuandre White. Much better hit rate here but it's still about 50% (counting Eno Benjamin as a hit which is stretching it). Dell coached one of the hits.

So yes, he gets good talent but he gets the best out of that talent too.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
From what I’ve heard about Dell, that’s the reasoning for my support of him. I keep hearing the school side of tech will be helping about immensely with the athletics side from now on. That would bring a ton of money to the football program. You wouldn’t have to worry about a potential cheap staff like we did with Collins, you’re going to get a very good staff with whoever is hired. That’s why Dell is making more and more sense, tech can now afford to put a great staff around him to help out with him never being a Coordinator or HC.
Maybe. But it sure sounds like the same line that was pitched with Collins. Are the same guys that got fooled the last time about to get fooled again?

Fool me once, shame on you…

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Auburn likes him a lot, he’s going to get a P5 head coaching job within the next 2 years most likely. You would be grabbing him up before SEC schools can.
Yeah, but it’s a stretch on the tail end of the worst three years stretch in Tech football history. If it fails you lose a decade and may have a hard time attracting talent the next time. Whatever we do needs to get us back to .500 at a minimum

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we go this route the coordinators need to be lined up ahead of time and need to be damn good.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing the school side of tech will be helping about immensely with the athletics side from now on.
I thought they were prohibited by law from doing so. School finances have to be kept separate from athletics, don't they?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought they were prohibited by law from doing so. School finances have to be kept separate from athletics, don't they?
Where there is a will there is a way. This is what I’ve been arguing for years. GT has money. Big money. GT has hidden behind “red tape” for years and have brainwashed the fans, alum, and employees that it is what it is. It isnt. Every other southern school has figured this out which 8s why we’ve been left behind. Maybe we finally have a “get it done” school President instead of a stats quo school President. We’ll see. I believe an infusion of big money would pay itself back and more fairly quickly.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Here’s the link, I highly recommend watching the videos Bryce posts. I enjoy them thoroughly.

I don’t think he makes very strong points regarding McGee. It’s pretty much just about recruiting. His comment about Georgia not being an elite recruiting school before Kirby/McGee got there is nonsense.

From 2007-2016 (Richt’s last 10 recruiting classes) UGA was outside the top 10 in recruiting just 3 times. They were 15th in 2010 after a miserable 2009 season for them. And they were 12th in 2012 and 2013. That is elite. They were in the top 15 (11th percentile) every year, and the top 10 (7th percentile) in 7/10 of those years.

Georgia began recruiting in the top 5 every year when Kirby came in and they began outspending everybody in recruiting. They’re outspending the likes of Alabama and Clemson by $1M+, and other top tier schools like Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Michigan, etc. by upwards of $2-3M. Sometimes double their entire recruiting budget!! Sure you need to be a good recruiter to finish the deal on guys and get them to signing day, but it makes your job waaayyy easier when you’re spending (a lot) more than the entire country.

Do we really want to go down the, “well let’s hope he out-recruits all of our competition again” route? I’m sure McGee is much better recruiter than Collins, but that’s a risky path to go down. Will McGee be able to bring in anywhere near the caliber of player to GT as he does to UGA? That’s highly doubtful.

If you’re going to go with the unproven coach, good recruiter archetype, it has to be Deion IMO. Deion is an even better recruiter than McGee, and comes with a bigger following and a bigger brand.

Last edited:

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I imagine much will depend on who the upcoming new AD would select, from a list and summary of prospective coaches provided by the outside search committee.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Would this guy get hired from his current position at ANY school that is serious about football? this answer is clearly no. He needs to step up to a P5 coordinator position first OR go get a HC job at James Madison or Buffalo or Akron. Then we can talk about him for the Tech job.
I question how true this part is after the hirings of Pittman and Beamer to SEC programs. In the past I'd agree but maybe there's a new perspective in the industry

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe. But it sure sounds like the same line that was pitched with Collins. Are the same guys that got fooled the last time about to get fooled again?

Fool me once, shame on you…
I prefer Chadwell or Deion, but I don’t think you cannot compare McGee to Collins. Collins was not unproven — he had a coaching record out there and it was average at best. Why we took a chance on him I don’t know. I was never really enamored with him like some on this board.

McGee on the other hand has not been a coach. So he truly is an unknown.