HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’ve already confirmed Deion has had back channel discussions but there was a new name I heard today.

Are all of these "back channel" discussions undercutting the new AD? What if the new AD comes and has a different idea for what he wants at GT from the people doing these "back channel" discussions? Cabrera is already on record saying the HC search will run through the new AD with Parker Executive doing the legwork. Right now, we have no AD.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Are all of these "back channel" discussions undercutting the new AD? What if the new AD comes and has a different idea for what he wants at GT from the people doing these "back channel" discussions? Cabrera is already on record saying the HC search will run through the new AD with Parker Executive doing the legwork. Right now, we have no AD.
They are using back channel discussions to help out the new AD when they arrive. Back channel discussions allow you to already be ahead other potential teams that have HC openings. You can figure out the interest that person may have, how legitimate they are out wanting to come to tech, how much there salary could be, what they would want in terms of a staff salary pool. It helps simplify a lot of things for a new AD so they aren’t bogged down starting at the ground level.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They are using back channel discussions to help out the new AD when they arrive. Back channel discussions allow you to already be ahead other potential teams that have HC openings. You can figure out the interest that person may have, how legitimate they are out wanting to come to tech, how much there salary could be, what they would want in terms of a staff salary pool. It helps simplify a lot of things for a new AD so they aren’t bogged down starting at the ground level.

That's what a search committee does as well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’ll just put this here

“The reason why we like to run the offense that we do, you don’t have to have the best linemen in the country to win games.You don’t have to have the best receivers in the country to win games. Every job that I have had has been a rebuild. We’ve had to develop and recruit talent that fits your system.”

- Jamey Chadwell
Sounds a lot like … oh, what was his name? It's on the top of my tongue! He was at Tech, I remember that!

And he's right. McCall, as reminded everybody was a 2 star in high school. Horrors.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So with 330 players in the 4/5 star pool, and maybe 40 or 50 teams with legitimate shot at even one of those, you don't think pulling in up to 6 a year (and maybe one or two less here, and one or two more there) isn't feasible for a major conference team, in a big metropolitan area? I still say expecting and accepting less is aiming low and settling.

I am NOT saying it will happen every year, but I am saying its quite reasonable to EXPECT that from our coaching staff, if we hire the right people. The one negative on CPJ for me was his fight against recruiting. He tried to spin it that he didn't need 4 or 5 star players, but every team NEEDS it to contend for conference titles and major bowl games/playoffs.

I get everyone's pushback, I am being slightly unrealistic based on recent history (but not on full GT history). I am also pushing for better than we've had. We had a strong run under CGO'L, CCG and CPJ. None of that was our ceiling. I know that because none of those guys were true recruiting savants. If we get a better coach, and we can (will take some luck and skill), no reason we can't be a perennial top 20 team with every third season on the playoff fringes.

I also would prefer a younger coach (under 50) that has energy to spare for the recruiting pitches and travel. Certainly recruiting is more about the assistants and having at least one be a proven recruiting tactician, but a head coach is needed to seal the deal with most 4 and 5 star players. Having a grumpy old guy hampers that in most situations Obviously proven coaches like Saban can recruit just by their name well into their 70s.
1. We've done this once - in 2007 - in the last 30 years. Oth, we've had 4 4 stars at least twice - 2010 and 2020 - in the last 10 years. (Again, these are 247 ratings.) It's feasible to expect we might be able to do that consistently with the right coaches. That'd put us right about where VT is usually.

2. Actually, you did say just that. And, believe it, Paul wanted every 5 and 4 star in the book. And got turned down by almost all of them. We got a fair number of 4 star recruits on D and the occasional one of O - JT, for example - and made a very successful program out of our classes.

3. I get this. But I think you haven't looked hard enough at the recruiting efforts of the coaches mentioned. I'll leave out Paul because his was a system offense, but there are plenty of examples of how his eye was better then the raters thought. O'Leary was a great recruiter for us and leveraged his connections up north to deliver a ton of good athletes. He combined this with a good eye for talent. Shawn Jones was no better then a mid-level player to others and Kelly Campbell's only college offer came from Tech. Chan had a good eye too; that's why his recruits consistently outperformed their ratings. And he did pull in Calvin.

4. I agree but not for the same reasons. I want a young guy because we might be able to afford him, though if we can tempt Clawson, he's the man. And, btw, that's the way Paul handled recruiting. One difference: he talked to the entire family when he was making his final pitch. This almost always meant that the parental units were on Tech's side when the decision was made.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
My unrequested 2 cents on the subject:

Deion Sanders makes me so excited to hear. I know I'm going to get a great recruiter, brander, energizer, and overall ambassador for GT. He will coach the team hard, but fair. Just his name alone will give us much-needed press around the program. It will be up to him to make sure it's positive press. He will also help facilitate much needed NIL money and revenue for the GTAA. Will he be given the means to truly succeed at Tech? Will he be given enough autonomy to make him happy? Will he be given enough trust by the new AD to ask the tough questions and demand answers?

Jamey Chadwell makes my brain happy. His version of the spread option would fit in well here. His proven track record of program building is exactly what we need right now. While not the flashiest hire, he could be the one with the most substance. Would he insist on bringing his entire staff from CCU? Can he cut it at a P5 school with academic limitations? Would he modify his offense to fit the guys we have now, or stick to his guns and force people to adapt?

Both guys make sense, both guys could be really good for us. Like I said, my heart screams Deion while my brain tells me Chadwell is the better hire.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Excellent argument. Let's hire Bohannon asap.

Because you are right. A parade of 2 stars or less for Paul's years: Clinton Lynch, Robert Godhigh (unrated), Phil Smith, Tevin Washington, B. J. Bostic (also unrated), Corey Griffin, Ajani Kerr, Jalen Camp, Jahazeil Lee, Sean Tobin, and others. And a whole host of the "low 3 stars" so many here disparage: Shaq Mason, Laskey, Kenny Cooper, Jake Stickler, etc. etc. etc. You can't build a good program without some top rank players, but, with the right coach and scheme, you can build a successful program even with a lot of "poorly rated" recruits who fit what you are doing.
BJ Bostic was a 4 star on Rivals.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I will just say that the candidate list feels much better than 2018. Deion, McGee, Chadwell, and even O'Brian are pretty solid choices in my opinion. I have no idea if any of them are truly interested in the job but I can't say I would be all that disappointed with any of them.