HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
A little bit of a update:
The mega boosters and majority of the boosters love the idea of Deion and have back channeled some discussions with him. Deion does have real interest in the job and will most likely get a formal interview after a AD hiring.
Everyone around the state is pushing for Dell McGee, that includes HS coaches, former players, current players, football trainers, etc. He would form a very very good staff. Calvin has given a silent stamp of approval for Dell McGee.
So, the new AD, really isn’t making the HC hire?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
So, the new AD, really isn’t making the HC hire?
Money people control most of the coaching search at any school. Boosters just already have a list of who they like and who they’ve heard have interest in the job. They then can send that list to the new AD whenever one is hired.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The mega boosters and majority of the boosters love the idea of Deion and have back channeled some discussions with him. Deion does have real interest in the job and will most likely get a formal interview after a AD hiring.
Everyone around the state is pushing for Dell McGee, that includes HS coaches, former players, current players, football trainers, etc. He would form a very very good staff. Calvin has given a silent stamp of approval for Dell McGee.
Why not both? Deion as HC and Dell McGee as OC. Still would be a step up for McGee. Win-Win!

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Why not both? Deion as HC and Dell McGee as OC. Still would be a step up for McGee. Win-Win!
McGee is making $800,000 as a running back coach at UGA, for comparison, we are paying our OC $800,000-$850,000 and that was considering a big pay raise from CDP. Dell wouldn’t leave uga to become tech’s OC. He’s going to get a HC position within the next 2 years.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Paul Chryst has an underwhelming year at Wisconsin, there's a groundswell among some very important people at Wisconsin that want to bring Leipold "home". Leipold is a Wisconsin guy...born there, and had an amazing career at UW-Whitewater. Tells you how expectations have gotten out of control at certain schools because Chryst is 67-25 at UW, but Wisconsin has a LOT of money, and they feel they should be on par with Michigan and Ohio State. They want Leipold because he's Nebraska's #1 target at the moment, and with the money they have along with Leipold's coaching acumen, they want to be a powerhouse again...and if Nebraska gets him and turns them into a powerhouse, there's going to be a LOT of angry Wisconsin fans.
I could go for Leipold alot quicker than Deion

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
nvm
Dabo, Urban, and Sam Pittman all lacked coordinator experience before getting their HC jobs but they all succeeded expectations by a long shot. Not saying that’s what you get but those are a few guys off the top of my head who went straight from a position coach to a HC and succeeded greatly. Nowadays with anyone, it’s a lot about who you surround you HC with in terms of quality of coaches and experienced coordinators and position coaches.
Sure, and as you even indicate above, those examples are few and far between. It would be a huge gamble right now, IMO

JacketFan137

Banned
I could go for Leipold alot quicker than Deion
leipold just seems like an absolute moonshot candidate based on the current state of our program and his contract. he’s contracted through 2027 and i have a feeling it would cost a prohibitive amount of money for us to buy him out of that while also insuring we bring a competitive staff in.

i also get the vibe that he’s gonna be a big midwest guy and would sooner move to nebraska than tech. if we pulled it off i would be thrilled but i’m not sure we are even in the running

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the update - your info in the past week has been awesome!

Hopefully Chadwell is still being actively considered as well. That guy has shown the ability to come into programs and turn them around without the need for phenomenal recruiting, but still doing so running a system that is not frowned upon. Nebraska may beat us to the punch on that one. BoB is my least favorite of the options you’ve posted so far. It probably wouldn’t be horrible, but I think our ceiling would be much lower and that we’d end up moving on in another 5 years.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell will be an option and will get an interview. Chadwell could be looking at bigger jobs though. Auburn, South Carolina in a few years (maybe he holds off for it), Ole Miss if Kiffin leaves for Auburn all come to mind. Chadwell is still a realistic option even accounting for that.

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm curious as to who
Shane Beamer was also endorsed by a contingent of former players, and I don't know if that's going to pan out. I like the idea of Deion, but the right AD has to be hired and able to give him autonomy of the football program. I feel like the AA relinquishing some control may be necessary in order to lure a top tier candidate which may also pique interest in lieu of big time $$.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Back Channel discussions are a real thing and are taking place at Georgia Tech. It’s happened more than 1 time already.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm curious as to who

Shane Beamer was also endorsed by a contingent of former players, and I don't know if that's going to pan out. I like the idea of Deion, but the right AD has to be hired and able to give him autonomy of the football program. I feel like the AA relinquishing some control may be necessary in order to lure a top tier candidate which may also pique interest in lieu of big time $$.
i think shane beamer would go over pretty poorly with the fanbase. i think everyone knows this is a crucial hire to save interest in the program and he would be such a disappointment

JacketFan137

Banned
sorry, shane was endorsed by his former players at UofSC. I was making a correlation between beamer at SC and dell mcghee.
oh ok lol i’m dumb i thought you meant like our former players were endorsing him and was thinking man that is the first time i’ve ever seen his name being linked with us this guy is crazy.

i should have used some context clues 😂

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Leipold is not leaving Kansas for GT. That's not even on the table so GT fans might as well let that go. Nebraska and Wisconsin (and most likely a lot of other programs) that have more money and resources than GT will go after him this offseason. Also, Leipold at heart is a midwest guy. Born, played, and coached in Midwest up until his time at Buffalo. Now he's back there, and big programs in the Midwest will be after him, and they will be throwing a LOT of money at him. Probably around $5-7 million/season. GT can't touch that and give him proper resources for a staff as well.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
McGee is making $800,000 as a running back coach at UGA, for comparison, we are paying our OC $800,000-$850,000 and that was considering a big pay raise from CDP. Dell wouldn’t leave uga to become tech’s OC. He’s going to get a HC position within the next 2 years.
Yeah I was just spitballin - didn't realize Dell was making that kind of dough as RB coach. Dang.