HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Why it is assumed on this board that Key was the only candidate left standing is a puzzle to me. The 300 pages of rumor and innuendo all proved false yet somehow the whole process is being reconstructed on the assumption that the speculation of this thread was mostly true. Maybe the AD did consider 10 to 12 candidates and thoughtfully tried to decide who was the best person at this time for this job. I prefer to believe this is how this happened than a dozen others turned down GT and ole Brent was all that was left.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
According to the ESPN article, they are working through the details this afternoon. Could be very soon. Could be tomorrow. Just depends on how long it takes the lawyers to agree to everything.
Pretty sure it won't be a 7 year deal with a big buyout
I sure it will be under 10 years and significant buyout

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If Key doesn't get the GT job, that UAB job is looking like the perfect fit for him and UAB. Key has DEEP ties to the state of Alabama, he's from Birmingham, and he would do VERY well there. He would probably have a P5 level staff, and kids would love playing for him. IMO, kind of a no brainer for UAB.
Don't know about Key, but if we screw this one up and hire a 62-year-old man with a mediocre lifetime w-l record, then turn Grant Field into student parking. It is stupid that he might even be considered.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Even if we start winning, i dont see butts filling seats. Not on key, more just our terrible alumni base.
I'm more optimistic. The students really like him. I think he will be able to get all of the student seats filled. I think he can appeal to the fans to get them in the stadium at least at the beginning of next season. We have a new AD and a chance to upgrade the gameday experience.

If they are able to put all of those things together, and the team plays well at the beginning of next season, there is a chance to have BDS almost full.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it will be interesting if we get to hear how this played out. Did we offer Fritz and Chadwell and they would not accept the money we hope Key and his agent are OK with? Or was it the contract length or incentives? Also, were these two the prime candidates? Who else did we seriously consider/offer? Maybe we will get a version of the real story at some point.

I am happy with Key and I hope at least one of our wide receivers who wears jersey #8 exits the portal this week. We need all the talent we have, plus some.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Being poor in this world sucks.

Making poor decisions in this world sucks.

Giving a coach no one wanted a 7 year contract without offsets (Collins), turning down the B1G and all the money that comes with it, resetting buyouts of coaches like HBC Gregory, staying with Russell Athletic all those years because of their GT ties, massive capital debts....I've lost count because there have been so many. Eventually all those poor decisions leaves the war chest empty.

Moving on to Key. I'm fine with it. He was stuck in the middle of a power struggle. The old boys club got the guy they wanted, so now it's time to put up or shut up. Honestly, and I touched on this earlier, this could be the best thing for GT in the long run. Give Key a contract that's mutually beneficial, and fair to Key. Make sure the buyout isn't crazy and guaranteed money is minimal. If Key takes this program to the next level and stabilizes our program, reward him with a better contract. Take the money we saved on buyouts and put that towards high level assistants (see: Good offensive coordinator), and give Thacker a raise.

I think Key will be a good to very good coach. Give him the tools (and it seems he will most likely get them), and give him room to grow. I think we will look back on this saga and say that GT got a lucky break not stretching our resources to hire guys like Chadwell and O'Brien.

Hopefully taking the interim tag off Key will help unite everyone now. There are obviously some hurt feelings...but something tells me the adults got into a room and hashed things out. At the end of the day the health and wellness of GT is bigger than a bunch of egos.

Onward and upward...GO JACKETS!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I am getting tired of this!! I feel lost.
I NEED to know who our new head coach is so I know who to complain about. How can I stay focused with my complaints in this Limbo? Tech really needs to get its act together.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This is a really safe hire for our new AD. An alum and former player.
A coach that wants the job.
A coach with an existing staff in Atlanta. A coach with no big buyout.
A coach known by our current recruits.
A coach that may keep some players from transferring.
A coach well liked by the team.
A coach that was picked after due diligence by the AD.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope the era of seven year guaranteed salaries is a thing of the past. At least for us. We are buried in debt because our ADs refused to say no.

This is apparently why we weren't able to attract any flashier candidates. Good on ADJB for holding the line, but it may have been blown up by donor meddling. Hope that's not the case. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess...