HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Wildbilliam1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Oh boy! Big $$$ (or at least more than current) better be there for coaches & NIL. Hopefully incentive laden contract for key with a low buyout for us if it goes south. I wanted Deion & Chadwell at the start. Fritz 4 years ago. But the last few weeks I really been swayed to key. Here’s to the future!

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Really really hope we anti up for some coordinators for Key and we can be more creative on the offensive side of the ball.

Also, All yall blaming ADJB for the transfers better get on CBK when they don't drop out of the portal and stay.
I think our DC and staff are fine but would like to see a upgrade at OC.... Joe Ham said Weinke took over Play calling the last 2 games

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not as concerned about the Key hire as more of how this looks on us. It is clearly obvious that Key was not our first or second choice, cause he would have been named much earlier. Additionally naming him after a loss to u[sic]GA, rather than a crazy win against UNC (if he was our choice) is also a bad look. Lastly, it seems clear that the big money donors wanted Key and the rumors that stuff leaked because those donors tried to sabotage the process is horrible.

I love Brent Key’s passion and charisma and the energy he gives. I will be rooting and standing by him 100% and he has positive qualities. However, I am very disheartened by J Batt and Athletics; If we are going to regress to ignoring the process and listening to big money donors and not knowing the right time to announce our hires, this organization is no better than it was before.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech interviewed 10 to 12 candidates, according to sources, a group that included Tulane coach Willie Fritz. Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, as the amount of guaranteed money was a non-starter for some candidates.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Hope this is not a last man standing hire. I am happy for Key if this is true. It really doesn't matter how he got the job. He wants it and stabilizes the program in what has been a tumultuous 4 years. Fritz may have been po'ed his offer was leaked before the championship game and Tulane may have given him a bump. Guess he will end his career there unless there are more offers out there. Will be interesting to see if some of the guys don't go into the portal now.

This. I do hope that Key isn't ticked off by all the recent events. It sucks to go into something that was your dream job, that now feels like you're the second or third choice. Like it didn't value you back. That can lead to some downstream effects. Definitely takes the wind out of your sails.

I do hope whomever fed Ken the info finds it comes back to haunt them. I have to think it will, karma being what it is. The leak likely hurt Ken's reputation, and may have cost our incoming AD what he was trying to accomplish - which we'll never know whether it would have been successful or not. Regardless, the ends don't justify the means. That sort of dumpster fire is what happens at Tennessee. It shouldn't happen here.

I said from the beginning I'd support whomever the AD went with. I'll support this decision. But given the past few days, I just feel bad about the whole thing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I know some people are disappointed that it is not a "splash" hire. Maybe I am as well but this has all the earmarks of someone who wanted to be here in the worst way and will do his absolute best. We could do worse...much worse.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech interviewed 10 to 12 candidates, according to sources, a group that included Tulane coach Willie Fritz. Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, as the amount of guaranteed money was a non-starter for some candidates.
I definitely understand why we'd do that...and I understand why that would make the GT job less desirable for many coaches. Looks like we're going the cheap method on HC, hopefully we can build a badass staff around him with those savings.