HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
You're impressed by this???? Great conference record! He has had 1 good season.

Tulane Green Wave (American Athletic Conference) (2016–present)
2016Tulane4–81–76th (West)
2017Tulane5–73–55th (West)
2018Tulane7–65–3T–1st (West)W Cure
2019Tulane7–63–54th (West)W Armed Forces
2020Tulane6–63–5T–7thL Famous Idaho Potato
2021Tulane2–101–7T–9th
2022Tulane10–27–11st
Tulane:41–4523–33
I’m not really excited about the Fritz hire, but this is not a fair take on his tenure at Tulane. Just look at the seasons prior to Fritz…I’d say he’s done a damn good job given the state of that program (facilities, recruits, conference affiliation, fan support, etc.) when he took over.

Attachments

• 933EA7B9-0079-4958-AA47-925E0F88EC72.jpeg
    933EA7B9-0079-4958-AA47-925E0F88EC72.jpeg
    683.9 KB · Views: 36

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Context guys, it matters. The context here is that Tulane does not see 7 or 6 win seasons EVER, like ever ever. So he brought them from worst program in the nation territory to middle to upper pack G5, that's pretty dang good.
Ok he brought them to middle of the pack. He definitely did not bring them to upper pack. He was 2-10 last year. He has no real ties to recruiting GA other than two years at Southern where he had an excellent recruiter with extremely strong relations with the high school coaches in GA Dell McGee. It is what is but I'm pretty sad if this is the best we could do.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok he brought them to middle of the pack. He definitely did not bring them to upper pack. He was 2-10 last year. He has no real ties to recruiting GA other than two years at Southern where he had an excellent recruiter with extremely strong relations with the high school coaches in GA Dell McGee. It is what is but I'm pretty sad if this is the best we could do.
2 and 10 using their OC (2021 ONLY) we hired away from them this year...lol

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I, like everybody else on here, don't know if those were the top targets or if we're out of the running for them. If you have factual info, please share.
If I was sitting in the room, I wouldn't be on here. Of course, GT would have no interest in coaching targets like Rhule, Fickell, Chadwell, O'Brien, Neon, etc. We're busy fighting off all the top contenders for Fritz.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
If I was sitting in the room, I wouldn't be on here. Of course, GT would have no interest in coaching targets like Rhule, Fickell, Chadwell, O'Brien, Neon, etc. We're busy fighting off all the top contenders for Fritz.
This! If he is such a great hire why has his name not been mentioned for any of the other schools looking to hire a coach? Is Batt just that much smarter than everyone else?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point it seems there may be no good options. Even the "money" just is pushing for Key? That means that there just isn't that much money, vs being able to compete with other P5 programs. So "he'll keep people from transferring" just isn't that great an argument for rolling with the unproven coach. I'd understand it, but I wouldn't expect much more than 6/7 wins, and I think there are other "least bad" options that can get there too with more proven track records. From where I'm sitting, the gamble on Key looks as good as a gamble on Fritz, but I have no evidence that it actually is as good or better. Cinderella interims often turn back into pumpkins.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Get used to it. A lot of good players are going to leave every year. It is the current reality of college football. It doesn't matter who the coach is. Saban predicted that this would be bad for the non-elite schools and he was right. Throw in the NIL and many players today are simply paid mercenaries. I feel like Sims almost had to enter the portal. My opinion of McCollum, whether justified or not, has dropped a notch. He was one of my favorite players. Since he is no longer with us, this is obviously no longer true.

Last edited:

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
McCollum going into the portal tells me Key was told flat out he is not getting hired. McCollum was one of the first players to push for Key to be HC after the game Saturday.
Yep! Way to piss off the whole entire fan base J Batt. Good job buddy. All I can say is this better pan out or you might be fired along with the HC.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point it seems there may be no good options. Even the "money" just is pushing for Key? That means that there just isn't that much money, vs being able to compete with other P5 programs. So "he'll keep people from transferring" just isn't that great an argument for rolling with the unproven coach. I'd understand it, but I wouldn't expect much more than 6/7 wins, and I think there are other "least bad" options that can get there too with more proven track records. From where I'm sitting, the gamble on Key looks as good as a gamble on Fritz, but I have no evidence that it actually is as good or better. Cinderella interims often turn back into pumpkins.
And they sometimes turn into Dabos and Olearys

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep! Way to piss off the whole entire fan base J Batt. Good job buddy. All I can say is this better pan out or you might be fired along with the HC.
Comments like this are so ignorant and unhelpful, did J Batt get us here, to the position where a rebuild is necessary? (No, that was Geoff and Todd).Batt has ran a tight lipped very proper coaching search, don't turn on him because he doesn't hire the coach you'd prefer. Players leaving was inevitable in a coaching hire like this, so blame Geoff and Todd if you want to blame someone.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Fans blaming the AD one month into his job for things outside his control can pound sand.
How is this outside of his control? He knew he had one job when he was hired, how many programs have already hired their coach, thus minimized instability. He needed to be prepared to make this call when the season ended, now he is looking like the first time AD that he is. We can't afford for him to @#$% this up, but he needs to make a call.