HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Always wise posts from GCda .... say, JuiceMan .. you ever think of changing the name? Distance yourself from you-know-who.

Actually ... nah, just own it. You're the only juice man 'round these parts. The other guy was just imitatin'..
Kind of ironic isn't it? I'll admit to being swindled by the previous coach that was hired but damn if I don't learn from my mistakes. Lets keep the name the same as a reminder.. the juice gets poured after we see dub's.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Please research Fritz’s entire career and the jobs he walked into. Honestly that’s just a lazy take.
Ok Central Missouri took over after Terry Noland who was 545 winning not a rebuild. Ok Sam Houston State took over after Terry Noland again after a .471 winning record if you want to use this as a rebuild fine. Ok now Georgia Southern took over after Jeff Monken who was 11-3 and 10-4 and he went 9-3 and 8-4 not see this as good kind .looks like when CGC took over at Temple. If you want to say he rebuild Sam Houston state ok and took 7 years to rebuild Tulane Which is a long time, and you think this would be a good hire, I just don't.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think you have a winner right here.

Pretty much every reporter commenting on GT's search has said how nothing is coming from Batt or GTAA.

Could be the candidate's camp talking or it could be someone trying to muck it up for Batt and Cabrera. Just look at the AD search for some clues. The guy ultimately hired wasn't even mentioned by any media outlets. The fact is, no one knows the real story of what's going on except a small handful of people.

IMO, unless something drastically changes, we might as well eliminate Key. If it was him, this would have been a done deal. No reason to hold onto that information given the advantages it would have in recruiting and the transfer portal for us to go ahead and announce Key as our new HFC. Still could happen, but given the benefit of announcing it immediately and the direction Batt and Cabrera want to take GTAA...I think Keys days at GT are over in terms of being HFC.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
First of all, you do not know how Collins would have done.

Second, plus +3 WAR over Collins is meaningless. You would have a +3 WAR compared to him. What is his WAR against the other coaching candidates?

I'll stand by my assessment of the situation. The bone I'll throw is that I've stated many a time that I think any average P5 coach, including Key, would've won 7 this year (assuming the same roster) had we made a coaching change at the end of last year. I'm still pissed off that we didn't because the buyout was never going to reduce at the end of this season so it was never a tenable option to continue the experiment and we only bled fan support that will likely never come back.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
As many have stated, I think it would be best in terms of retention to hire a new coach ASAP (also best for me cause I hate not knowing). However, if we are waiting for championship games this weekend before announcing a hire it is not the end of the world. We will likely have more players enter the transfer portal but it doesn't mean that we will lose more players as they can always return to Tech. If I was the coach coming in, I would try to convince them not to enter the portal but also let them know that you don't hold anything against them if they do and that they are still wanted here at Tech.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
NIL $ negotiations necessitate involving the donors. Hard to negotiate a contract with a coach who's expecting NIL support when you're keeping the $$$ guys at arm's length. Of course, you'd hope the NIL commitment isn't candidate dependent, but with our guys, it is.

There's still a chance that it's Key and J is using the rumor mill to raise anxiety and get the commitment for larger NIL $ from the guys who want it to be Key.