HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I really have not seen ANY references to "Saban like" in these threads but I confess to not reading every single one. Does the fact he went 4-4 with his 3nd and 4th string QB meany anything to you. Do yo believe that we have significant depth such that the 3rd and 4th teamers here are = the first string? I certainly don't.
Gibson was not 3rd string. He was 2nd string all spring, summer and fall until he was pulled in the FSU game.

Nope, it does not change the calculus for me since our schedule was even easier than I originally thought.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Other than who beat and who we lost, I thought we would end 4-4, so yeah this is how I thought we finish. I also thought anyone would have been better than Collins, so unless he won six games, the slight improvement was not going to move the needle for me. I do love how fans are acting like IHCBK has been Saban like in going 4-4 against an extremely soft schedule.
At the point Collins was fired, this team did not look to me headed for a 4-4 finish. It was headed closer to 0-8. The effort was falling off precipitously. The team under Brent was night and day compared to Collins.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gibson was not 3rd string. He was 2nd string all spring, summer and fall until he was pulled in the FSU game.

Nope, it does not change the calculus for me since our schedule was even easier than I originally thought.

Any consideration that he (ZG) might have been prepping as second string as they were hoping to save Pyron's RS. Based on your eyeball test, WAS Gibson a better option than Pyron all along. If you do, at this point we will just have toagree to disagree,

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
The riots are mostly peaceful. Peaceful as in no vandalism or looting although do I hope it escalates a bit. There is a new 75" Samsung TV at my local Target that I have had my eye on. Would look great under the Christmas tree. ;)
Will be so awesome to watch this Dumpster fire on that thing too :) hehe

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Any consideration that he (ZG) might have been prepping as second string as they were hoping to save Pyron's RS. Based on your eyeball test, WAS Gibson a better option than Pyron all along. If you do, at this point we will just have toagree to disagree,
Gibson, in fact, was the 2nd string QB. Pyron, in fact, was the 4th string QB. Those are the facts. Who is the most talented is another question.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At the point Collins was fired, this team did not look to me headed for a 4-4 finish. It was headed closer to 0-8.
I agree with this. I think the recollection of events have been distorted. I, for one, was NOT expecting a team that averaged 3 wins in an 11 or 12 game schedule for the past 3 years and was on track for the same this year to go .500 over 8 games and I think anyone who thought that is probably not being honest and/or are overly optimistic about the state of affairs.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Pyron is just all around more talented... Better Arm, Better downfield passing, hard nose and could put it down and pick up 10-15 yards when needed as a RS-FR hell of impressive. Gibson was nothing more then a game manager.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pyron is just all around more talented... Better Arm, Better downfield passing, hard nose and could put it down and pick up 10-15 yards when needed as a RS-FR hell of impressive. Gibson was nothing more then a game manager.
No disrespect to ZG who bounced back from a rough start to acquit himself well, but I have to believe the depth chart initially was more based on both experience at the time and wanting to keep ZP's redshirt.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. I think the recollection of events have been distorted. I, for one, was NOT expecting a team that averaged 3 wins in an 11 or 12 game schedule for the past 3 years and was on track for the same this year to go .500 over 8 games and I think anyone who thought that is probably not being honest and/or are overly optimistic about the state of affairs.
Even if this true, so what? Key is not up against Collins for head coach. He is competing against other head coaches under consideration. Just because Key did slightly better than a completely incompetent fool, does not make him a better candidate than all other potential candidates.

I stand by what I said when Key took over, unless Key wins six games, there are too many established coaches who are very good to take a chance on an unknown coach like Key. He did not win six games. I would hire the best coach available and not the former Tech graduate who did slightly better than the last guy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect to ZG who bounced back from a rough start to acquit himself well, but I have to believe the depth chart initially was more based on both experience at the time and wanting to keep ZP's redshirt.
Agree with this, but just to note that after he got his bearings out there, Gibson proved to me he could start somewhere at the G-5 level. He did okay, really.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
6 years of bad and 1 year of good would not make me want to hire him. But if you are willing to wait more years of bad to get to 1 good year than you will be happy with him. Remember B** L**** had one good year that didn't work out too well. I just feel Key at this time is the right pick unless there is someone we don't know about.
"6 years bad, 1 year good" just seems deliberately inaccurate. He took Tulane, a team that mostly won 2-3 games a year to 7 wins a year by his 3rd year there. Tying for 1st in their division year 3. And you consider that 1 of the "bad years". That don't make sense.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree with this, but just to note that after he got his bearings out there, Gibson proved to me he could start somewhere at the G-5 level. He did okay, really.
I agree and noticed that they must have adjusted some things in terms of pass protection late in the season. Even against Uga and their NFL D line, he pretty much had a clean picket all day long.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
This is all way above my pay-scale, but shouldn't the fact that we fired TFG early in the season and hired a 'big-time', executive search firm and paid them a hefty fee to do their thing mean that we've/they've had plenty of time to whittle down the potential list to a few viable, interested coaches and have our people talk to their people and basically have everything just about worked out by the end of the regular season? The rumors (and I get that that's what they are) seem to indicate that we're kind of scrambling at this point to get something done. Chadwell? No. B.O'b.? No. OK, how about Fritz? Maybe. I'll be really, really disappointed if that's actually the case. Assuming that my understanding of how this is supposed to work is really what is or has happened, I gotta think that it's not Key (although he may be the bird in the hand at this point) but it's someone who is waiting to play either a conference championship game (or CFP but doubt that's the case). These thoughts point to Fritz, I guess.