HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NIL $ negotiations necessitate involving the donors. Hard to negotiate a contract with a coach who's expecting NIL support when you're keeping the $$$ guys at arm's length. Of course, you'd hope the NIL commitment isn't candidate dependent, but with our guys, it is.

There's still a chance that it's Key and J is using the rumor mill to raise anxiety and get the commitment for larger NIL $ from the guys who want it to be Key.

The donors are not a homogenous group. They do not all move in the same direction outside of their love for GT. There are quite a few donors who have been unhappy with the small group (the old boys club) that have had an outsized voice within the GTAA for years now.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Considering the last two games were against ranked teams and the first 4 had an FCS school, I'm leaning towards the last 8 were tougher.
Sagarin has UNC ranked number 50. Key's team also lost to the number 80 and number 90 ranked Sagarin teams. He beat number 36 Pitt thanks to a rainy night when Pitt's D could not catch passes thrown right to them by Sims. The next two highest ranked teams that Key's team beat were 49 Duke and 50 UNC. We beat both of them last year too.
You cite Sagarin for how tough our schedule is overall, then try to say that the last 8 games were tougher than the first four, in which the FBS teams are ranked 13, 24 and 44 by Sagarin. Be consistent.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok Central Missouri took over after Terry Noland who was 545 winning not a rebuild. Ok Sam Houston State took over after Terry Noland again after a .471 winning record if you want to use this as a rebuild fine. Ok now Georgia Southern took over after Jeff Monken who was 11-3 and 10-4 and he went 9-3 and 8-4 not see this as good kind .looks like when CGC took over at Temple. If you want to say he rebuild Sam Houston state ok and took 7 years to rebuild Tulane Which is a long time, and you think this would be a good hire, I just don't.
Still lazy. He took over GSU the year they jumped to FBS, with an entirely flexbone roster, and put in a brand new offense overnight. And promptly went 9-3 (8-0 in Sunbelt) and had our great 2014 team beaten without a JeT miracle. They weren't eligible to go to a bowl that year. Man, he may not be the best choice for GT, but if you're going to bash Willie Fritz's coaching career, you're going to be pretty lonely.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sagarin has UNC ranked number 50. Key's team also lost to the number 80 and number 90 ranked Sagarin teams. He beat number 36 Pitt thanks to a rainy night when Pitt's D could not catch passes thrown right to them by Sims. The next two highest ranked teams that Key's team beat were 49 Duke and 50 UNC. We beat both of them last year too.
You cite Sagarin for how tough our schedule is overall, then try to say that the last 8 games were tougher than the first four, in which the FBS teams are ranked 13, 24 and 44 by Sagarin. Be consistent.

I am. Make sure to add Western Carolina to your first 4.

I know that our schedule strength ranking increased as the season wore on as I check Sagarin weekly.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting tidbit I'm trying to run down, but someone told me Fritz's buyout is near $8 million. Tulane is private so can't find an online contract. IF that's true, then that's an awful lot of additional capital that has to be added to the pot to hire him and a staff.

If GT is pursuing candidates with a sizable buyouts, then that tells me Batt and Cabrera have made headway outside of certain donors. That money is coming from somewhere...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The donors are not a homogenous group. They do not all move in the same direction outside of their love for GT. There are quite a few donors who have been unhappy with the small group (the old boys club) that have had an outsized voice within the GTAA for years now.
There's nothing unusual about it. Auburn has 3 donors (2 really) that make virtually ALL of the decisions. Tennessee has 1. For years, Auburn football was run from a boardroom at a bank in Montgomery.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Still lazy. He took over GSU the year they jumped to FBS, with an entirely flexbone roster, and put in a brand new offense overnight. And promptly went 9-3 (8-0 in Sunbelt) and had our great 2014 team beaten without a JeT miracle. They weren't eligible to go to a bowl that year. Man, he may not be the best choice for GT, but if you're going to bash Willie Fritz's coaching career, you're going to be pretty lonely.
I really don't care I just don't want him if I'm lonely fine. But lets see how you are in a few years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's nothing unusual about it. Auburn has 3 donors (2 really) that make virtually ALL of the decisions. Tennessee has 1. For years, Auburn football was run from a boardroom at a bank in Montgomery.

Yup...my point was Batt and Cabrera are not limited by a small set of donors that have controlled things in the past.

There's a saying: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The "old boys club" have rubbed a lot of the other donors the wrong way for years now.

EDIT: Another thing I'll add is GT is not like most SEC schools. Football does not wag the dog at GT. Batt has the President of GT backing him so it'll be quite interesting to see the dynamics play out.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
and how would we have finished with CGC? I looked at how the players played and saw improvement. Yes I want Key and I would have no problem with Chadwell or BoB just not Fritz
How would we have finished if Key had been in charge the whole time? Probably still not better than 7-6. How was Tulane doing before Fritz took over? Oh would you look at that, 3-9 the previous two seasons. There's a serious disconnect going on here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is all way above my pay-scale, but shouldn't the fact that we fired TFG early in the season and hired a 'big-time', executive search firm and paid them a hefty fee to do their thing mean that we've/they've had plenty of time to whittle down the potential list to a few viable, interested coaches and have our people talk to their people and basically have everything just about worked out by the end of the regular season? The rumors (and I get that that's what they are) seem to indicate that we're kind of scrambling at this point to get something done. Chadwell? No. B.O'b.? No. OK, how about Fritz? Maybe. I'll be really, really disappointed if that's actually the case. Assuming that my understanding of how this is supposed to work is really what is or has happened, I gotta think that it's not Key (although he may be the bird in the hand at this point) but it's someone who is waiting to play either a conference championship game (or CFP but doubt that's the case). These thoughts point to Fritz, I guess.
I don't know that we can rule out either of these candidates at this point, especially Chadwell. Chadwell's team in particular is still playing, and that might be the holdup.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If it is Fritz let's see how Tulane reacts to losing their coach. I suspect they want him to stay. I often wonder if coaches make their "next move" after a very good season and know who they are losing for next year and where the grass looks greener.
He’s working Tulane for a raise if nothing else