HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm okay with Key depending on who we bring on as OC. Not super sold on Long as the guy, but also know it's tough to go through 3 OCs in as many years.

If he gets the job, do we think Key will clean house? Being in a new staff? Mix of both?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Key is a favorite with a group of donors. Batt and Cabrera have gone radio silent and haven't shared anything. Remember when it was definitely Chadwell last week? Now it's Key?

Funny how it changes with the wind on message boards.

Let's just hope Cabrera doesn't get cold feet and is willing to do what he said he would do and spend the dollars to make us competitive. I'm fine with either Key or Chadwell or whoever Batt picks, presuming he doesn't turn in to another clown show like the last guy. If Cabrera decides to go cheap after saying what a lot of us have waited 50 years to hear from a GT President, it would be really bad.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm okay with Key depending on who we bring on as OC. Not super sold on Long as the guy, but also know it's tough to go through 3 OCs in as many years.

If he gets the job, do we think Key will clean house? Being in a new staff? Mix of both?
I think a mix of both. If I had to guess, he may keep Long through his contract next year, but who knows? It might depend on who else might be interested in the job.

I hope he'd keep Thacker and the defensive staff together...they are really starting to gel.

I'd like to see better special teams. And he'd need to find an OL coach.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
He was and he will never use injury or pain as an excuse for anythng, but he has been playing with something since the 3rd play of the FSU game. I won’t disclose what it was, but I will tell you he did say it hurt worse than a broken collarbone. And as a qb it’s not something you want giving you problems. But credit to the training staff at GT for managing it and having him as ready as they could the next couple of games he played.

Actually there have been several guys playing through some pretty significant issues this year that you’ll probably never hear about, or maybe you will after the season. These guys didn’t play because they were forced or anythng close to that. They played because that’s just how they are wired. Again kudos to the training staff.

your posts get more excellent all the time. you speak some truths that some folks here need to hear once in awhile.

my kid was a softball pitcher in college. naturally, there aren't huge discussion boards dedicated to that, there was enough to be frustrating sometimes, because those folks had no clue what was going on with her, the team, or anything else.

thanks for stopping in here and sharing, and best of luck to your boy on a complete recovery.

on a semi-self aggrandizing note: me and another guy sacked a qb in HS, breaking his collar bone. the sound, the aftermath, and most of all - the look in that kid's eyes as he laid there in pain - made me sick. I had to go out for a bit and gather myself.

based on my limited experience your son is a heck of a tough kid. I wish him nothing but the best.

thanks again.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm a wind-vane on this topic for sure!

I'm not saying 'definitely', just it seems that things are leaning that way. The media seems to be leaning that way. We've had a couple of AJC pieces supporting Key. Some of the pay sites are leaning the same way.

I wonder how much of it is intentional 'leaks' to begin to prep the battlefield for the announcement.

I've written about it earlier, but sometimes leaks occur because a certain group of people want to shape the narrative for someone they want hired, or they're looking to muddy the water because they're not getting their way. Happens a LOT during coaching searches. This isn't just a GT thing. Believe it or not, the donors are not a homogeneous group that all think alike...they're very similar to regular fans. There's groups that want one thing, and there's groups that want other things. Some of the groups have a bigger bullhorn than others...doesn't mean they're right.

One thing is clear: Cabrera was adamant that it would be Batt's decision, and Batt has no loyalties to anyone unlike Stansbury who was a bit beholden to the "old boys club" at GT. Whoever is hired will be because Batt and Cabrera think that person is the best candidate to lead our football program forward, not because of donor pressure. Kind of funny that the donors that pushed for one of "O'leary's boys" during the last coaching search that led to Collins are trying to change the narrative that Stansbury went solo on hiring Collins. When Cabrera went outside of the GTAA to find the next AD, that was his way of saying "No more cronyism in GTAA...we are going to be professionals about how we operate." Is it any surprise now that Cabrera picked an AD from an organization that is known for "professionalizing" the way athletic departments operate? We haven't heard any leaks out of the GTAA because Batt is doing exactly what Cabrera wanted...and it's making some donors that are use to easy access unhappy.

slugboy

Staff member
if you're a Key supporter, this could be troublesome, because those losers are always wrong.
This needs a nod emoji, but I’ll use a GIF instead.

The columnists aren’t always wrong, but for a group whose job it is to explain local sports, they aren’t blowing away the average joes on the message boards.

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF

As far as the coaching search, I think Key is a good candidate. I think Chadwell is a good candidate. Both have potential, but potential often goes unrealized. It’s nice to have good choices.

The comment about it being a **** show at the AA bothers me. You can’t sweep that under the rug. Nothing goes right if you don’t fix that. Fix that yesterday.

Last edited:

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Of course! No inside info, just starting to put some pieces together from different public sources that seem to be heavily favoring one direction. I could well be wrong, but I'm starting to think Key is a 10.5 pt favorite playing at home.
We lost our last home game as favorites, so Chadwell confirmed.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been on the fence about Key lately. If he’s the pick, I would hope that for next year, he opens the wallet to get the best RB coach and OL coach we can. And then once Chip Long finishes his 2-year contract, I would want Batt to open up the wallet on getting the best OC we can. The good news is that I think Brent Key would be fairly affordable and allow significant resources to be spent on the rest of the staff.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been on the fence about Key lately. If he’s the pick, I would hope that for next year, he opens the wallet to get the best RB coach and OL coach we can. And then once Chip Long finishes his 2-year contract, I would want Batt to open up the wallet on getting the best OC we can. The good news is that I think Brent Key would be fairly affordable and allow significant resources to be spent on the rest of the staff.
Wouldn't it be something if BK took $2 Million in year one and asked J to use the other $1 mil to get some other coaches and recruiting stuff?

A Tech man might do that. Chadwell...not so much (though I wouldn't fault him, either).

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wouldn't it be something if BK took $2 Million in year one and asked J to use the other $1 mil to get some other coaches and recruiting stuff?

A Tech man might do that. Chadwell...not so much (though I wouldn't fault him, either).
Tech man or not, it would be the smart move on Key’s part. Better to give yourself the resources to win so that you get a second contract than to give yourself more money in the short term while crashing and burning. As much as we joke about how much money Collins made to stop coaching, he would have made so much more in the long run if he had been successful, even if he had cut his own salary in half to pay for better assistants.

slugboy

Staff member

Chadwell already took an incentive laden contract for himself and for his assistants. It works well for them, because they do well