HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Both games were still well in reach with the starters in the game. There was a whole half left before Sims got injured and there was a quarter left when Pyron went out. As you saw with the UNC game, the team very well could have came back and won both games with the starting QB in. For the Miami game if you can show me where it said Pyron was injured before the game then I may agree with you, but no where did I see that he wasn't 100 percent going into it.

Most teams in college football struggle to win a game when their starter at QB goes down before the game and it's even tougher to during. We saw what happened to Texas and Pitt when their starters went down in close games. You can say its on the coach to have a player ready, but most back up QBs in college won't be able to win a game if they are put in on the spot, unless they have great talent around them. Does Tech have that kind of talent?

Coaches deserve blame for loses, but people can also understand that certain circumstances make it harder to win games. Losing your starting quarterback is one of them. For a play caller it alters you game plan and for a team, seeing your starting QB (and arguably best player on offense) go down can be demoralizing.
That Miami game was a lot closer than the score indicated. If Pyron doesn't get hurt, the flea-flicker on the next play may well have ended up a TD instead of an interception and would have tied it up. The tight end was open down the sideline. Then Tech marched to the Miami 12 only to have a 99-yd. pick six. We did score on the next drive, and had the Jackets gone the last 12 yards instead of making that one big mistake, it would once again have been a tied game.

FSU is 8-3 now. Our only bad loss under Key was Virginia.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Both games were still well in reach with the starters in the game. There was a whole half left before Sims got injured and there was a quarter left when Pyron went out. As you saw with the UNC game, the team very well could have came back and won both games with the starting QB in. For the Miami game if you can show me where it said Pyron was injured before the game then I may agree with you, but no where did I see that he wasn't 100 percent going into it.

Most teams in college football struggle to win a game when their starter at QB goes down before the game and it's even tougher to during. We saw what happened to Texas and Pitt when their starters went down in close games. You can say its on the coach to have a player ready, but most back up QBs in college won't be able to win a game if they are put in on the spot, unless they have great talent around them. Does Tech have that kind of talent?

Coaches deserve blame for loses, but people can also understand that certain circumstances make it harder to win games. Losing your starting quarterback is one of them. For a play caller it alters you game plan and for a team, seeing your starting QB (and arguably best player on offense) go down can be demoralizing.
Against UVA, both QBs had a horrible day.

Gibson catches flak for the UVA game, but both quarterbacks had horrible days. There wasn’t much drop off from Sims to Gibson in that game. Possibly, Sims was too injured to play before the game. He was clearly not getting anything done before he got (more) injured. The big story is that the course of the game didn’t change much after he went out—we had next to nothing on offense.
Our defense showed up for UVA. Our offense and our punt team were not ready, and they never adjusted. UVA used their 10 prep days well and we squandered ours.

If you think Sims getting injured made us lose the game, then you have to think he was about to play a completely different game than he had the entire first half. If he was ALREADY playing hurt, that means suddenly healing at halftime.

CED4F9E3-2CF9-4283-80FE-1A82D26E72EF.jpeg

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
With all the rumors swirling this is a weird thread title. Can we get it changed? Or just shift these posts into one of the existing HC threads?

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Against UVA, both QBs had a horrible day.

Gibson catches flak for the UVA game, but both quarterbacks had horrible days. There wasn’t much drop off from Sims to Gibson in that game. Possibly, Sims was too injured to play before the game. He was clearly not getting anything done before he got (more) injured. The big story is that the course of the game didn’t change much after he went out—we had next to nothing on offense.
Our defense showed up for UVA. Our offense and our punt team were not ready, and they never adjusted. UVA used their 10 prep days well and we squandered ours.

If you think Sims getting injured made us lose the game, then you have to think he was about to play a completely different game than he had the entire first half. If he was ALREADY playing hurt, that means suddenly healing at halftime.

View attachment 13556
I didn't say Sims was having a great day, but as you recall this game was a one drive game. Sims was able to drive the ball down the field, but threw that costly interception at the goal line. I believe that the offense would've had a much better chance to put together a solid drive with Sims than without him. And past performance does not necessarily determine future outcomes. We saw how bad the offense was for the first quarter and a half against UNC. Combine QBs were 4-8 for 51 yards and an INT before our first scoring drive.

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, I guess I posted this in the heat of the moment, I had asked Jakhari Williams about the HC position at GT on instagram, he sayed he thought key would get the job but was confident with whoever the AD brought in