HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Rumors of mutual interest between Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Auburn. :unsure:

Lane Kiffin is waiting it out at Ole Miss until 'Bama opens up (which many expect it to be in the next few years).

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing to look at for BOB is past OC for Bama and where they have gone. Daboll - HC Giants, Locksley - HC Maryland, Sark HC Texas, McElwain - HC Florida, Kiffin - HC FIU, Ole Miss. I is easy to find issues with him, since he has so much experience that a lot of people know. Based on these two factors though, I think he is looking to rehabilitate himself like other Bama OCs he will get offers just based on his pedigree and being a safe hire. Which makes me think Nebraska, because they can't afford to make another big mistake. I have no big issue with him at GT, though I think he may end up like Gailey. He has a very similar record in NFL and is conservative/unimaginative with his play calling. Mike Houston is still my choice.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing to look at for BOB is past OC for Bama and where they have gone. Daboll - HC Giants, Locksley - HC Maryland, Sark HC Texas, McElwain - HC Florida, Kiffin - HC FIU, Ole Miss. I is easy to find issues with him, since he has so much experience that a lot of people know. Based on these two factors though, I think he is looking to rehabilitate himself like other Bama OCs he will get offers just based on his pedigree and being a safe hire. Which makes me think Nebraska, because they can't afford to make another big mistake. I have no big issue with him at GT, though I think he may end up like Gailey. He has a very similar record in NFL and is conservative/unimaginative with his play calling. Mike Houston is still my choice.
Gailey won four division titles in the NFL? I missed that. Also, Gailey was never National Coach of the Year at a P5 school. But, yeah, other than those two things, they are similar.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gailey won four division titles in the NFL? I missed that. Also, Gailey was never National Coach of the Year at a P5 school. But, yeah, other than those two things, they are similar.

BOB's NFL record was better than Saban's + Urban Meyers + Matt Rhule COMBINED. Bill O'Brien can coach. He's not flashy and the hot name like Deion or Chadwell (my #1 choice), but the guy can coach football. Anyone who argues otherwise is just ignoring facts.

I get that some of us have our favorites, and have guys we don't want at GT, but making up history is just silly.

Look at every major opening in college football, and some in the NFL. There's a reason why Bill O'Brien is on those HFC candidate lists.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Chan 34-46, O’Brien 52-48. O’Brien has had a couple of really good seasons in the nfl, 11 win years.

Deleted member 6494

Rumors of mutual interest between Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Auburn. :unsure:

Lane Kiffin is waiting it out at Ole Miss until 'Bama opens up (which many expect it to be in the next few years).
This would be a good year for Saban to step down; he is also making good money on advertising during the football games.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the end result is:
HC - Brent Key
OC - Godsey

Some other staff changes underneath. FWIW, Godsey was in talks to be OC when Collins was hired, but it fell thru. That's why Brent was looking to leave for USCe, because him coming here in the first place was based on that original plan. He got talked into staying for... reasons... so it's a little bit hard to see some of these posts about how complicit he's been in the Collins catastrophe when he tried stopping it, wanted to resign in protest, and the boosters convinced him to stay to carry out the "O'Leary part deux" backup plan to the Collins experiment.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
HC - Brent Key
OC - Godsey

Some other staff changes underneath. FWIW, Godsey was in talks to be OC when Collins was hired, but it fell thru. That's why Brent was looking to leave for USCe, because him coming here in the first place was based on that original plan. He got talked into staying for... reasons... so it's a little bit hard to see some of these posts about how complicit he's been in the Collins catastrophe when he tried stopping it, wanted to resign in protest, and the boosters convinced him to stay to carry out the "O'Leary part deux" backup plan to the Collins experiment.
Wow... this is interesting information.
I am a little unclear on the timetable though. Was Goose supposed to be the initial plan instead of Patenaude? Are you saying Key wanted out when Goose fell through at the start (in other words Key almost never came here)? You used the term "resign" so did you mean that Key wanted out after Pat and before Chip Long?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow... this is interesting information.
I am a little unclear on the timetable though. Was Goose supposed to be the initial plan instead of Patenaude? Are you saying Key wanted out when Goose fell through at the start (in other words Key almost never came here)? You used the term "resign" so did you mean that Key wanted out after Pat and before Chip Long?
I forget exact dates, but Key almost backed out after Goose fell through and almost stayed at Bama. After the second season, he was so fed up that he was interviewing around and almost went to USC. He was talked into staying because the view was likely that he'd be interim midway through last year. UNC surprise, Stansbury stubbornness derailed that. View with big donors became fire Stansbury first, but the non revenue programs being good and basketball fluke championship made that difficult. It took way too long to sort out, should've been way more proactive, "biggest cluster**** I've ever seen", yadda yadda.

Chip and Weinke (and by extension of the Chip recommenation, Del) were Brent recommendations, so judge what you will from that. I'm not saying he's totally blameless... I never liked the Chip Long hire.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the insight....
Interesting to say the least!
I agree with your parting shot on Long but I am looking forward to UNC. That defense is about as close as we can get to running “dummy offense” so I am anxious to see how his approach is SUPPOSED to work. If it doesn’t work in Chapel hill... well.... :confused:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the insight....
Interesting to say the least!
I agree with your parting shot on Long but I am looking forward to UNC. That defense is about as close as we can get to running “dummy offense” so I am anxious to see how his approach is SUPPOSED to work. If it doesn’t work in Chapel hill... well.... :confused:
Unfortunately, although UNCheat's defense is awful, our OL is even worse. Not sure how much you can gauge from Long's offense or anyone other coach on offense until that OL improves.... a lot.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I forget exact dates, but Key almost backed out after Goose fell through and almost stayed at Bama. After the second season, he was so fed up that he was interviewing around and almost went to USC. He was talked into staying because the view was likely that he'd be interim midway through last year. UNC surprise, Stansbury stubbornness derailed that. View with big donors became fire Stansbury first, but the non revenue programs being good and basketball fluke championship made that difficult. It took way too long to sort out, should've been way more proactive, "biggest cluster**** I've ever seen", yadda yadda.

Chip and Weinke (and by extension of the Chip recommenation, Del) were Brent recommendations, so judge what you will from that. I'm not saying he's totally blameless... I never liked the Chip Long hire.
Chip Long is awful. Just look how much better Tulane is now that he's gone. If Key's choice at OC had been better maybe I would be more on board with keeping Key but pretty much everything Key is responsible for still sucks (OL, Offense, OL recruiting). Without the D making plays, Key would likely have 0 or 1 wins. Give all the credit to Thacker, Turner, Tillman, and Semore (as well as the D players).

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, everyone has the favorites. I would be happy with any of Chadwell, O'Brien, Mullen or Clark, but I can understand favoring one over another. I just do not get the trashing of qualified and quality coaches just because they are not "your guy." (Not directed at you.)
The crazy thing to me is that BoB is much more accomplished than anyone last coaching search, and people are crapping on him like he was coaching temple for two years.

a “safe” bet and not preferred, okay. But to say he shouldn’t be in the top 3 of the listed names right now is ridiculous based on his history.

Ponte vedra GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with you about Cabrera's recent comments or may I add what I perceived as commitment, but will add that I think it goes all the way back to Bobby Dodd as I think he was the last coach to have the school behind athletics. It is my understanding that somewhere in the 70s or 80s the school was about to get out of athletics and some folks went to them at that time and talked them into continuing and they agreed. My impression was that the school never really got behind athletics but let some raise money, hire Homer Rice etc and supporters were actually the ones continuing athletics and not the school in effect, they just approved it, sanctioned it, however you might say it, certainly I could be wrong about how all that came down.

What I'm about to say is speculation on my part after listening to a Big 10 school Pres. talk about athletics in the Big 10 and what is important to them. It was said that being an AAU school and belonging to the Big 10 is much more than athletics, it involves collaboration amongst all the schools in academic/research projects. i believe that the media wants GT in the Big 10 because Atlanta is the 7th biggest media mkt in US, GT academia wants in the Big 10 because of the potential on the academic side as mentioned above and that is the driving force for GT academics getting behind a successful athletic program. The Big 10 school president also said they want schools that are just as committed to athletics as academics. Forgive me for this paragraph, I have mentioned this before but thought it was appropriate again for this discussion in case some might not have seen the previous same posting.
I agree , we need clauson from wake forest , let’s get this right so when the BIG expands we will be considered .
Pay the $$

Deleted member 6494

I read the same information from the internet.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
HC - Brent Key
OC - Godsey

Don't see Godsey coming back to coach any college team as OC.