HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This probably sums up Alabama fan opinion on their OCs: https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/l...ive-coordinators-under-nick-saban-at-alabama/

I’d probably put Kiffin at the top of that list, and move Bill O’Brien up a few notches. Most of the OCs moved to the NFL or a HC spot.

Almost all of them had leading Heisman candidates or winners, even if they were just OC for one year. It would be nice if that translated to their new gig, but it doesn’t seem to.

Kirby Smart seems to have learned a lot under Saban; not all of his assistants did.
Kirby learned the most important lesson Saban could’ve taught him.
“Get the best athletes and football players any way possible, no matter the cost.”

In a lot of ways, Georgia and Alabama have flip flopped from where they were in the Richt days. Bama has elite skill position players, but not the push up front or athleticism on the defensive side of the ball. Georgia is willing to sacrifice talent on the outsides, and especially at QB, to bring in the nations best linemen and defense.

Bama is having to lean on an elite QB, while Georgia makes an average QB look elite. They’ve done it with Fromm and now Bennett. Basically the equivalents of Greg McElroy and AJ McCaron. While Bama has rolled through Heisman winners at QB, unknowingly losing what made them great in the first place.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As to BOB, he is not a candidate I am excited about, but he is considered by most to be a very good coach. His two years at PSU netted him a CoY award which was hard earned. Taking over that program when he did and maintaining a winning record was great coaching. His record in the NFL is pretty good as well. In his 6.25 seasons, he had 5 winning seasons and made the playoffs 4 times. As an OC, other than his two years at Dook under CTR, his offenses have been ranked 6th and 13th (so far).

I concede that he appears to be a very capable coach, and likely would be a great candidate here. I think there are some concerns about him as a recruiter, but with the right staff that could be mitigated. All in all, while he's not in my top tier of preferred candidates, he's not a coach I'd have trouble getting behind either.
I think this is exactly where I am. I think he’s a good coach who could find success, but he’s not my number one and feel it’s a very “safe” choice.

Even with the sanctions at PSU, the school kind of recruits itself. He was able to succeed largely due to convincing 5 star Hackenberg to come and start immediately for him. I don’t know if that will translate to GT or not. I will say, the OL at PSU during his time there was worse than ours is now due to the sanctions.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
BOB is getting a lot of criticism as OC. He may be very ready to leave the Saban nest and with connection to Batt, I would think he is very high on the list. He has been mentioned for Nebraska but GT is actually a safer destination for him if he is offered. He has name recognition but has not killed it anywhere he has been. He would be a safe hire and he does have some GT history early in his career. I would think he is number 1 on Batt's list but only speculation on my part.

Deleted member 6494

He made a detailed post based on data saying why BOB is one of the coaches he likes as a candidate. And you just accused him of nepotism because your opinion differs. 🙄
No, it is obvious he is biased in favor of O'Brien; I am biased in favor of Chadwell but have never met or known him. I did not accuse him, I merely asked him if it could be because he knew O'Brien. That is not an unrealistic question.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
No, it is obvious he is biased in favor of O'Brien; I am biased in favor of Chadwell but have never met or known him. I did not accuse him, I merely asked him if it could be because he knew O'Brien. That is not an unrealistic question.
LOL! That is hilarious. Because I think BOB is a quality coach and would be happy if we hired him makes me biased towards him such that I might be his friend. Um, OK. Go with that! By the way, my personal choice is Chadwell too. I am just not so myopic to believe that multiple coaches could not be successful at Tech. BOB is a very good head coach. We could do and have done a lot worse. I also do not see the need to denigrate other quality coaches who might not be my first choice.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
BOB is getting a lot of criticism as OC. He may be very ready to leave the Saban nest and with connection to Batt, I would think he is very high on the list. He has been mentioned for Nebraska but GT is actually a safer destination for him if he is offered. He has name recognition but has not killed it anywhere he has been. He would be a safe hire and he does have some GT history early in his career. I would think he is number 1 on Batt's list but only speculation on my part.
One of the big rules in Corporate America is that if you are a good executive, don't take a job at a Non-Profit ... there is almost no chance you will return.

If you are a well-respected coach who has aspirations back to the NFL or a more significant Top 10 gig, Tech is not a great destination. It might have been at one time, but not currently.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
One of the big rules in Corporate America is that if you are a good executive, don't take a job at a Non-Profit ... there is almost no chance you will return.

If you are a well-respected coach who has aspirations back to the NFL or a more significant Top 10 gig, Tech is not a great destination. It might have been at one time, but not currently.
One could also argue that if he can succeed here, it would be a great resume builder for a bigger job.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
One could also argue that if he can succeed here, it would be a great resume builder for a bigger job.
You could. But Notre Dame doesn't care if you have a winning record at Carson-Newman. If BOB wants to coach a Top Ten team, he should coach a team in that class and turn IT around. Or one that has the resources. I don't see a case for him to lead Tech to a couple of 8-4 years as a prereq to a major program. He can do that now.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You could. But Notre Dame doesn't care if you have a winning record at Carson-Newman. If BOB wants to coach a Top Ten team, he should coach a team in that class and turn IT around. Or one that has the resources. I don't see a case for him to lead Tech to a couple of 8-4 years as a prereq to a major program. He can do that now.
We may not be Alabama or Notre Dame, but we also are not Carson-Newman. If BOB can make us a perennial top 15 to top 25 team, there will be plenty of top 10 programs that will be interested in him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we hire BOB it won't be as an OC but rather as a HC so I'm not as concerned about his playcalling as what I have heard about him makes me think while he's a good offensive mind he'd likely bring in an OC and work with them to shape the offense rather than dictate exactly what style to run (beyond knowing what the OC had experience running prior). To me, the selling point for O'Brien vs Chadwell or Sanders is I think OBrien would put together a better staff. I've floated the possibility that we could take Willie Korn as OC somewhat facetiously but I do think O'Brien would be a very good head coach to have an OC who learned under someone else come in and make an offense their own. I would still want an OC with a history of calling plays, but I think it would leave the door open to be more flexible than in some other cases.

His time at PSU is a strict plus given the circumstances and his tenure in the NFL, which I don't find super relevant in any case, is at least good enough that I don't think it should dissuade people. Now what he did in a managerial role might, but NFL is such a different thing that Im not sure how indicative it is of anything at the college level.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We may not be Alabama or Notre Dame, but we also are not Carson-Newman. If BOB can make us a perennial top 15 to top 25 team, there will be plenty of top 10 programs that will be interested in him.
Just to be Devil's Advocate, why would BOB need to coach at Tech to do that? He's already done a turnaround. If his goal is to trade up, he doesn't need to pad his resume, he already has the chops to get that job. If that is the argument, that Tech is going to be a stopping point on his way to a bigger job, I don't see him as a candidate at all. He's 53. It's up or out time.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s been noted in multiple boards that BOB has no long term aspirations to be in CFB and his only goal is to get back to the NFL. I don’t see why we would want a coach like that. He won’t be fully bough into rebuilding the program and will just jump whenever an NFL opportunity comes along. Highly doubt he is under consideration. We need a program builder and that is what Batt/Cabrera have stated multiple times.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
People need to stop assuming we are looking at candidates that are associated with Tech or have been associated in the past. I doubt there would be this many people interested in BOB if he never coached here. Batt has no affiliation with Tech and isn’t going to choose a candidate based on that.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
People need to stop assuming we are looking at candidates that are associated with Tech or have been associated in the past. I doubt there would be this many people interested in BOB if he never coached here. Batt has no affiliation with Tech and isn’t going to choose a candidate based on that.
i agree and said that in the other thread. how man CFB jobs is he attached to besides Tech's job? i know he's done alot since last time he was here, but like others have said, he probably rather be in the NFL rather than CFB.