HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
i agree and said that in the other thread. how man CFB jobs is he attached to besides Tech's job? i know he's done alot since last time he was here, but like others have said, he probably rather be in the NFL rather than CFB.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It looks like John Gruden is getting into the CFB circus again. I wonder if he’s worth a look? Grumour, has it, he’s interested in South Florida. WTF?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It looks like John Gruden is getting into the CFB circus again. I wonder if he’s worth a look? Grumour, has it, he’s interested in South Florida. WTF?

His office where he watches film and did the FFCA film studies with college QBs is in Tampa. He has a home in Tampa as well.

South Florida would be the first stop in his "comeback" tour.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
People need to stop assuming we are looking at candidates that are associated with Tech or have been associated in the past. I doubt there would be this many people interested in BOB if he never coached here. Batt has no affiliation with Tech and isn’t going to choose a candidate based on that.
Almost nobody mentions his time at GT when talking about BOB. They talk about his time working in NE, his time at Penn State, time at Houston, and his time under Saban far more than his time here.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It’s been noted in multiple boards that BOB has no long term aspirations to be in CFB and his only goal is to get back to the NFL. I don’t see why we would want a coach like that. He won’t be fully bough into rebuilding the program and will just jump whenever an NFL opportunity comes along. Highly doubt he is under consideration. We need a program builder and that is what Batt/Cabrera have stated multiple times.
because one needs to be extremely successful at the college level to jump back to a NFL job, if that was the case I think we would be very happy with his time here

Deleted member 6494

LOL! That is hilarious. Because I think BOB is a quality coach and would be happy if we hired him makes me biased towards him such that I might be his friend. Um, OK. Go with that! By the way, my personal choice is Chadwell too. I am just not so myopic to believe that multiple coaches could not be successful at Tech. BOB is a very good head coach. We could do and have done a lot worse. I also do not see the need to denigrate other quality coaches who might not be my first choice.
I have not denigrated O'Brien, but I have posted a lot of his history with GT, and Duke, and maybe Maryland. Yes, I have also highlighted a few other items of his history as an assistant or OC. I have not said anything about his character.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why this has to turn into an indictment of other fans.

So, ignoring the shade thrown at those stupid others, it sounds like you think that's an accurate reflection of the attractiveness of the job? So if AzState and GT offer the same national-scale coach for the same money you think on-average they'd pick AzState?
Yes, I do.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If we hire BOB it won't be as an OC but rather as a HC so I'm not as concerned about his playcalling as what I have heard about him makes me think while he's a good offensive mind he'd likely bring in an OC and work with them to shape the offense rather than dictate exactly what style to run (beyond knowing what the OC had experience running prior). To me, the selling point for O'Brien vs Chadwell or Sanders is I think OBrien would put together a better staff. I've floated the possibility that we could take Willie Korn as OC somewhat facetiously but I do think O'Brien would be a very good head coach to have an OC who learned under someone else come in and make an offense their own. I would still want an OC with a history of calling plays, but I think it would leave the door open to be more flexible than in some other cases.

His time at PSU is a strict plus given the circumstances and his tenure in the NFL, which I don't find super relevant in any case, is at least good enough that I don't think it should dissuade people. Now what he did in a managerial role might, but NFL is such a different thing that Im not sure how indicative it is of anything at the college level.
Good points. The thing about the NFL, you really need to know football and how to make adjustments and game plan. Too much parity. In CFB, you can make your own success by recruiting your own roster.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
My two biggest priorities are he's heck of a recruiter and a real program builder for bigtime CFB meaning he knows how to get BIG linemen both sides of the ball that can play.

Deleted member 6494

I have not denigrated O'Brien, but I have posted a lot of his history with GT, and Duke, and maybe Maryland. Yes, I have also highlighted a few other items of his history as an assistant or OC. I have not said anything about his character.
I saw a post in this topic (don't remember where) that asked why someone does not post any information regarding O'Brien's tenure at GT. I did this earlier; it can be found as post 2258 on Post line 113.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Almost nobody mentions his time at GT when talking about BOB. They talk about his time working in NE, his time at Penn State, time at Houston, and his time under Saban far more than his time here.
None of that translates to what he would be asked to do at GT. When has he had to rebuild a program and work with limited resources? He’s not getting hired so no point in even arguing

Deleted member 6494

None of that translates to what he would be asked to do at GT. When has he had to rebuild a program and work with limited resources? He’s not getting hired so no point in even arguing
Sorry, I researched that information because many were wanting to know his record during that time, so I researched it and recorded it for information.

Deleted member 6494

People need to stop assuming we are looking at candidates that are associated with Tech or have been associated in the past. I doubt there would be this many people interested in BOB if he never coached here. Batt has no affiliation with Tech and isn’t going to choose a candidate based on that.
He is associated with O'Brien from their Alabama acquaintance.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
This can't be a real post can it?
You think 2 years at a factory school counts as experience? We need a coach who has actually built a winning program. NFL does not translate at all and almost 0 long time NFL coaches end up being successful at the college level

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You think 2 years at a factory school counts as experience?

What else would it be? He literally was a head coach of a program with limited resources, at the time, and did well enough to win a conference and national coach of the year award. He's also had over a decade of combined experience in various roles at P5 schools, compared to people who have literally 0 experience coaching in a P5 conference.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
What else would it be? He literally was a head coach of a program with limited resources, at the time, and did well enough to win a conference and national coach of the year award. He's also had over a decade of combined experience in various roles at P5 schools, compared to people who have literally 0 experience coaching in a P5 conference.
Not worth arguing but don’t get your hopes up then. He’s not coming to GT