Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
not really - but he had very few chances and you don;t mention that. The defense never let him get on the field and when he did the pressure was immense to score and score quickly. I think he pressed but may learn from it that you have to remain patient no matter how bad your team's defense is playing.
I think we are misrepresenting the game a little here.

GT had 4 drives in the first half where we either were leading or down three, and were unable to score points.

Our first drive of the half, down ten, we drive the length of the field and fail to gain a yard on 4th and 1.

Once we throw a pick six the next drive, of course it’s over, but the 5 drives before that yielded no points when it was still any team’s game. If Haynes pressed once we were down 31-14 that’s fine, but that doesn’t give a pass to the offense as a whole leading up to that point.

No mistake, GT surrendering 24 points in 4 straight drives is a bigger blunder than the offense, but we can still point out parts of the offense that can improve.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

GT had 4 drives in the first half where we either were leading or down three, and were unable to score points.

Our first drive of the half, down ten, we drive the length of the field and fail to gain a yard on 4th and 1.

Once we throw a pick six the next drive, of course it’s over, but the 5 drives before that yielded no points when it was still any team’s game. If Haynes pressed once we were down 31-14 that’s fine, but that doesn’t give a pass to the offense as a whole leading up to that point.

No mistake, GT surrendering 24 points in 4 straight drives is a bigger blunder than the offense, but we can still point out parts of the offense that can improve.
I think this is right.

As I’ve said elsewhere, it’s entirely possible to be pleased with Tech’s offense overall, believe that this loss was on the defense, and still see that the offense had multiple chances to bail out the defense and failed to do so. Slightly more improvement from the offense could save us from games like this in the future.

slugboy

Staff member

(Adding on)

While I normally would say “7 points is 7 points”, we raced out to a 14 point lead, and at about 4 minutes into the game, BG scored 7–making it a game again.

Then, we did this (from gameonpaper.com):

4:11(Kickoff at GT 35) Jack Sauder kickoff for 59 yds - BGSU 7, GT 140.3574.3%0.2%
Q1 4:11(1st & 10 at GT 29) Trey Cooley run for 1 yd to the GT 30 - BGSU 7, GT 14-0.5774.5%-1.0%
Q1 4:11(2nd & 9 at GT 30) Haynes King pass complete to Trey Cooley for a loss of 5 yards to the GT 25 - BGSU 7, GT 14-1.6773.5%-4.0%
Q1 4:11(3rd & 14 at GT 25) Georgia Tech Penalty, False Start (Eric Singleton Jr.) to the GT 20 - BGSU 7, GT 14-0.2669.5%-0.6%
Q1 4:11(3rd & 19 at GT 20) Haynes King pass complete to Dominick Blaylock for 11 yds to the GT 31 - BGSU 7, GT 14-0.2668.9%-0.1%
Q1 2:43(4th & 8 at GT 31) David Shanahan punt for 27 yds - BGSU 7, GT 14

If you believe in game momentum we lost momentum when we gave up the first TD, and then we had a chance to take control of the game on the next series—and didn’t.

The defense didn’t look good after the 27 yard punt, but it made BG punt, and we went 3-and-out again.

Then BG got a field goal. Then, we went 3 and out again, and had the punt snap that hit the upback. Then, they took the lead for the rest of the game.

In critical situations when getting first downs would have made a difference in the game, and points would have made an even bigger difference in the game, we didn’t get either. This is where UNC or Pitt from the last few years would have traded points.

Yards are great, but game management is great too.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you can't say our offense had very few chances to get back on the field. We had chances but went 3 and out too much after the first two series. You can't look at ToP in a vacuum and reach solid conclusions. Low ToP with low points can mean that your defense couldn't get off the field and your offense went 3 and out a lot. Plenty of examples of this last year.

In fairness to Haynes, our inability to get our run game going was a large factor.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
(Adding on)

While I normally would say “7 points is 7 points”, we raced out to a 14 point lead, and at about 4 minutes into the game, BG scored 7–making it a game again.

Then, we did this (from gameonpaper.com):

4:11(Kickoff at GT 35) Jack Sauder kickoff for 59 yds - BGSU 7, GT 140.3574.3%0.2%
Q1 4:11(1st & 10 at GT 29) Trey Cooley run for 1 yd to the GT 30 - BGSU 7, GT 14-0.5774.5%-1.0%
Q1 4:11(2nd & 9 at GT 30) Haynes King pass complete to Trey Cooley for a loss of 5 yards to the GT 25 - BGSU 7, GT 14-1.6773.5%-4.0%
Q1 4:11(3rd & 14 at GT 25) Georgia Tech Penalty, False Start (Eric Singleton Jr.) to the GT 20 - BGSU 7, GT 14-0.2669.5%-0.6%
Q1 4:11(3rd & 19 at GT 20) Haynes King pass complete to Dominick Blaylock for 11 yds to the GT 31 - BGSU 7, GT 14-0.2668.9%-0.1%
Q1 2:43(4th & 8 at GT 31) David Shanahan punt for 27 yds - BGSU 7, GT 14

If you believe in game momentum we lost momentum when we gave up the first TD, and then we had a chance to take control of the game on the next series—and didn’t.

The defense didn’t look good after the 27 yard punt, but it made BG punt, and we went 3-and-out again.

Then BG got a field goal. Then, we went 3 and out again, and had the punt snap that hit the upback. Then, they took the lead for the rest of the game.

In critical situations when getting first downs would have made a difference in the game, and points would have made an even bigger difference in the game, we didn’t get either. This is where UNC or Pitt from the last few years would have traded points.

Yards are great, but game management is great too.
Didn't get any turnovers that I remember. The games we have won seem to correlate with getting turnovers.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you believe in game momentum...
Honestly, I don't believe in it at all. At least, not enough to trust it.
I've seen too many games where a team got up early and easy, usually against a foe they were expected to handle easily, then relax, and it was all downhill from there.
A big early lead sometimes seems to be the worst thing that can happen to a college football team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If soph qb King had one incompletion on last drive, we would have lost ar Mia.
As it was, he was defintuon of clutch.

I wonder if his stats on this qb graph would change much?

The last drive where he perfectly lead the team has head coach Key, Prez Angel , and me pretty happy today. IIWI, my eye ball test says we have pretty average athletes who got throttled by clearly superior athletes, yet won on last play. (King won the Texas big school championship w abunch of average guys against a "loaded" o pponent - clutch last drive.)

Can you please add context of what this graph says about King in next few games? Play back up?

My eyeball says King will be better by homecoming, since we will be geting at least 1 and maybe 3 taller wr (#1, Lane, Moore) on field with Speed Singleton.

Last edited: